Menu

Must Haves from Ikea??

I'm headed there next weekend for the first time!!! I have a very small budget and have most of it already "spent" - my shopping list is printed! However....is there anything I just have to have that maybe I don't know about? Things you've found invaluable in your school room or kids' rooms? Things you've loved?

I'm so excited! I've been selling my little tail off for a few months to "earn" this trip! I can't wait :)

I'm headed there next weekend for the first time!!! I have a very small budget and have most of it already "spent" - my shopping list is printed! However....is there anything I just have to have that maybe I don't know about? Things you've found invaluable in your school room or kids' rooms? Things you've loved?

I'm so excited! I've been selling my little tail off for a few months to "earn" this trip! I can't wait :)

First time, you say? Ha!...man, are you gonna be overwhelmed! I won't make it worse by making any suggestions. :001_smile:

Well, right now, my list consists of:

2 Trofast wall storage shelves (and the coordinating boxes) - to hang above the girls' desks

2 Vika Amon tables - to be the girls' desks

1 Vessla storage crate with casters - for books in the "reading corner" I'm hoping to create

2 Glis storage box sets - for the girls to use for supplies on their desks

2 Bygel rail & container sets - again for supplies

2 Mala long sleeve aprons - to be used as art smocks

Well, right now, my list consists of:

2 Trofast wall storage shelves (and the coordinating boxes) - to hang above the girls' desks

2 Vika Amon tables - to be the girls' desks

1 Vessla storage crate with casters - for books in the "reading corner" I'm hoping to create

2 Glis storage box sets - for the girls to use for supplies on their desks

2 Bygel rail & container sets - again for supplies

2 Mala long sleeve aprons - to be used as art smocks

I bought the Vika Amon (white tops, black legs) for my boys this past fall. They're very sturdy--I'm quite happy with them :)!

Well, there are the Billy Bookcases that can be added on and modified with glass fronts, etc., but if you hang out clothes now and then, I never regretted getting a red "Spider" thingy with clips on it.It's inexpensive and it's perfect for drying socks, small shorts etc outside it does not take up space on the clothes line.

Have I mentioned their IKEA 365+ dinnerware? It's nicely shaped and open stock, you can add on pieces any time. You can buy as few pieces as one cup and one plate and get more later.

They have duvet covers at prices I have never been able to match anywhere else...I better stop right here and now! ;)

Have fun! I just got back from there right now. The trip in itself is seriously almost as bad as going to Disneyland. Go with patience and not when you are hungry. Going without kids is ideal. (I don't do the kid babysitting thing they have there.) Halfway through our trip, my dd threw a fit and I told her that *I* had a headache, *I* was lost, *I* didn't want to be there, but if we all put our happy faces on, we'll be done a lot sooner. I got a lot of funny stares from other shoppers. :lol:

But, now that I am home and have had lunch, I am super excited about the Expedit deal I got and can't wait for dh to set it up.

Sounds like you have some fun stuff on your list - have a great time!

ETA: Love my Billy bookcases, also!

You have a good list, I'm not going to add anything big. :)

Whenever we are there, we grab a few packs of paper napkins (*gasp!*) because they are nice and inexpensive - for when we use paper. Ditto with packs of straws.

DH likes their meatballs (they sell them frozen) but those are on his plate, not mine. I'm not a meatball girl.

I can spend way too much time and money in Ikea. :D

I think Expedit bookshelves are the BEST. I have several, in myriad sizes, in multiple rooms.

Other Ikea things we use regularly--

*Agam Junior chairs to give the 2-6yo set a boost at the table,

*Dragon flatware, in their adult kitchen section, but IMO it's about 3/4 sized, making it perfect for my preschoolers, but doesn't feel babyish

*the $15 easel in the kids' section

I went for the first time a few weeks ago. It was overwhelming and the biggest thing I needed was restraint I think! There is just so many neat things at good prices it seemed. And it's set up so that I had to walk through the entire store to check out. Because we were getting a kitchen I ended up checking out about 4 times. I think I'm going back. My advice, anyway, is stick to your list!

When we were there last time, they had kids eat free. We were there so long picking out the stuff for dh's office/gallery that all of our kids got lunch and dinner free :001_smile:. We told them they had already had one meal on them. I do use the childcare, my five year old loves it. Have fun!

Oh the horror - no Expedit shelves on your list :tongue_smilie:!!!!

Easton might like the easel that has a paper roll for it in addition to the blackboard and whiteboard. I use the whiteboard part a LOT with the older kids - much easier than dragging out my other bulky whiteboard.

I always pick up their paper napkins - they have the cutest designs and they are relatively inexpensive.

Candles! They are cheap enough that we get to have candle light for dinner every night.

I love the rail /container system. Grab it upstairs in the kitchen display area.

Here is what I came home with from my last trip:

Plants and plant pots for indoors. New couch pillows. Bedside reading light. Cute soap holder for bathroom. Small rugs for kids rooms. Picture frames. Glass canisters for kitchen storage. Picture ledges that now holds ds' star wars action figure collection. The new rocking chair (an impulse splurge, but it is now the most used chair in the house!)

Also from IKEA: Expedit bookshelves, huge sisal rug, kitchen cabinets, dinnerware, desk accessories, clocks, large light fixtures. Clear storage bins for CDs. Small blankets for living room. Magnetic knife rack (works great!), drawer liner, vases, book ends (cheap and strong!) and I am sure there is more that I am not thinking about. (ETA: our curtains! We have nicer ones for the living room and cheaper ones for the kids, as well as the wire clippy thing to hold them as a previous poster mentioned.)

I have to consciously mix and match, as our house is small and I don't want it to scream IKEA! when you walk in the door.

Edited by happygrrl
forgot to add...

Thanks everyone!

It's just another mom friend and I going - no kids :)

Do they have cute little desk organizer things (for pens/pencils)?? I didn't see any online, but that's something I'd like to add if I can.

We love their tins (found in the bathroom or kitchen section, of all places) to hold pens/pencils/erasers/paper clips/and other misc items like extra staples, etc.

Here are links to a few that they have now ( I can't find the ones we bought a couple of years ago):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80223450/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20208344/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80188927/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30188901/

I also love our expedit shelves. Each cubby has it's own subject materials, and keeps everything fairly organized b/c my girls know where everything goes. We also have a couple of doors for cubbies that house math and science supplies/manipulatives.

Any suggestions on something to use as a divider between the girls' desks? Something that would serve a purpose in addition to being a divider? I do have 2 of the $20 tall bookshelves from Walmart/Target that I thought about using (and might still use), but I'm worried that they will want to "fall" away from each other instead of staying flush in the back. DH said "we'll just screw them together", but I'm not sure how that will be done.

Any suggestions on something to use as a divider between the girls' desks? Something that would serve a purpose in addition to being a divider? I do have 2 of the $20 tall bookshelves from Walmart/Target that I thought about using (and might still use), but I'm worried that they will want to "fall" away from each other instead of staying flush in the back. DH said "we'll just screw them together", but I'm not sure how that will be done.

An expedit bookshelf would be really nice -- kind of like one of the teen inspiration rooms here.

An expedit bookshelf would be really nice -- kind of like one of the teen inspiration rooms here.

I worry that with an open back like that they would push stuff through at each other. I like the idea of each of them being able to keep their books/workbooks right next to them on the shelf divider though.

We just have the cheapy particle board tall bookshelves from Walmart or Target. I just worry that they won't stay next to each other when turned sideways (back to back). If I got 2 Billy bookcases in the same style would they be any better?