Menu

For those of you whom make your own mayonnaise...

(eta: autocorrect made that *whom* instead of *who* for some weird reason)

Any tricks to make is easier? By the time I am done adding my oil, I have it EVERYWHERE! All over my hands, the counter, the measuring cup, the cuisinart, my paper towel that I use to catch the dripping oil...

I keep thinking if I had a measuring cup with a really long spout, maybe that would help?

Any other tips?

Edited by Debbie in OR

Here is how I do it: I use the blender. I start with leaving 2 eggs out to warm up to room temp. Then I use one whole egg and one egg yolk. Add some whey (optional), a little vinegar or lemon juice, some mustard and seasoning. All this goes into the blender. My blender top has a little screw cap that comes off. I take it off and start the blender and slowly pour in a cup of olive oil.

The only real mess is cleaning out the blender when it's over. I scrape every bit of mayo out, then squirt dishwashing liquid into the blender and fill it half way with water, run it quickly and pour it out. It still needs some wiping but the bottom part of the blender is usually clean.

I use a jar and an immersion blender, and just pour the oil from the bottle. Then I put the lid on the jar and chuck the lower half of the immersion bender in the dishwasher.

I'm just lazy like that. :D

:iagree: The immersion Blender rocks!

By your Cuisinart comment, I assume you're using a food processor. The round feed tube insert thingy has a tiny hole at the bottom. Just pour your oil directly into the tube while running the food processor; it will automatically drizzle it slowly in at just the right rate. It's pretty awesome. :D

I'm trying to imagine what it looks like in your house when you're adding the oil, lol.

I've used a blender--too hard to get all the mayo out, and the blade assembly eventually gets gunked up with the oil.

I've used an immersion blender, which was awesome because I could make the mayo in its container. But eventually the blade assembly got gunked up. Possibly newer/different immersion blenders are made differently...

I use the food processor attachment for my Bosch. I just pour the oil steadly into the batch feeder while the gizmo is running. I don't have problems with oil all over...unless I try to pour it too slowly. For me, the mayo seems to turn out better if I pour the oil in *steadily* but not *slowly*.

My recipe:

½ tsp. dry mustard

½ tsp. salt

1 egg

2 tsp. vinegar

1 cup oil

Into the food processor go the seasonings, the egg, the vinegar, and about 1/4 cup of the oil. That processes for about a minute. Then I add the oil, with the machine running, and process it for about a minute after all the oil is in.

I use a jar and an immersion blender, and just pour the oil from the bottle. Then I put the lid on the jar and chuck the lower half of the immersion bender in the dishwasher.

I'm just lazy like that. :D

:iagree::iagree:

Really, wide mouth mason jars are one of God's gifts to us.

My iPad is not letting me multi-quote for some reason so I will just lump everything into one post :)

Thanks for all the info...I will definitely try my immersion blender. Also, yes, my cuisinart is a food processor and I do use the little chute thingy...how do you keep the oil from dribbling all over you while you pour it in there? Clearly, I am doing this wrong :)

Also, what type of spices are you using besides salt and pepper? I saw vinegar, lemon juice and mustard..anything else you like?

Remudamom, I love the idea of the ketchup bottle...that sounds like it may actually prevent my oil bath!

Thanks again..all very helpful

My blender top has a little screw cap that comes off. I take it off and start the blender and slowly pour in a cup of olive oil.

This. :iagree: I use the blender lid with the small cap removed, so it stops the oil from splattering. To pour, I use a measuring cup with a pour spout and pour slowly. I've never had oil splatter anywhere.... :D

Do all of you use olive oil?

We are trying to get away from all the soy and canola oil in everything so I've been thinking about making mayo for a while now and will be trying my first batch this weekend. I have potato salad to make for Sunday night!

We are trying to get away from all the soy and canola oil in everything so I've been thinking about making mayo for a while now and will be trying my first batch this weekend. I have potato salad to make for Sunday night!

I always use plain olive oil, NOT evoo. It is my fav as far as flavor and cost.

I use Extra Light Olive Oil, which doesn't have an olivey taste. I use Extra Light for baking and frying, too.

But alas, I think my last batch gave me food poisoning, and I haven't had the guts to try it since! We get our eggs very fresh from a local organic farm, too. Boohoo.

Amy

OOOHHH, cayenne...that sounds great!

We have used half olive, half rice bran oil. Didn't care for it much.

Then we tried half coconut oil, half rice bran oil. Didn't care for it much.

Then tried all rice bran oil. LOVE IT! It is soooo much better than store bought.

We, too, hate ditching soybean oil and because we eat a ton of mayonnaise, I figure I have to do this. Also, I use it to make all our salad dressings now (because they are full of soybean oil as well). Holy moose, are they good.

For me, the mayo seems to turn out better if I pour the oil in *steadily* but not *slowly*.

My recipe:

½ tsp. dry mustard

½ tsp. salt

1 egg

2 tsp. vinegar

1 cup oil

Into the food processor go the seasonings, the egg, the vinegar, and about 1/4 cup of the oil. That processes for about a minute. Then I add the oil, with the machine running, and process it for about a minute after all the oil is in.

Just made this with pastured eggs and xlight olive oil. Delicious! Thanks, Ellie!

No more store bought for us! Made it in my cheap-o blender and poured through hole for the small cap in the lid. Next time I will try the immersion blender and a mason jar.

If you are using the food processor just dump as much of your oil as will fit at a time in the cup with the hole, it shouldn't go all over. I find the food processor the easiest to scrape out with a spatula. The immersion blender requires me standing there slowly pouring in the oil, I prefer the dump and leave method. Btw, I use grapeseed oil or macadamia nut oil.

If you are using the food processor just dump as much of your oil as will fit at a time in the cup with the hole, it shouldn't go all over. I find the food processor the easiest to scrape out with a spatula. The immersion blender requires me standing there slowly pouring in the oil, I prefer the dump and leave method. Btw, I use grapeseed oil or macadamia nut oil.

With the immersion blender you add all the ingredients at one time, egg, spice, lemon juice/vinegar then oil, start w/ blender on bottom and then up and down.

I use safflower oil, or very light olive oil. I'm going to try it with a coconut oil, later, too.

You have to watch coconut oil since it turns solid around 72 degrees, it makes things very interesting if you try it and put it in the frig.

pp mentioned bacon grease, I've tried that and it worked fine, good flavor and all but it is more solid as well as grease is not near as liquid as some other oils.

I use extra light olive oil. Once I made it with evoo...it tasted fine (I like the taste of evoo), but there was way too much color, lol. However, I was making it for deviled eggs, so the color didn't matter. :D

The kind of vinegar you use will change the flavor. I've tried lemon juice (blech), tarragon-flavored white wine vinegar (blech), and distilled white vinegar (double blech). My usuals are red wine vinegar and Bragg's cider vinegar.

I used to use safflower oil but changed to extra light, and really like that. Wesson Oil was nasty.

The kind of vinegar you use will change the flavor. I've tried lemon juice (blech), tarragon-flavored white wine vinegar (blech), and distilled white vinegar (double blech). My usuals are red wine vinegar and Bragg's cider.

Ah, I never considered the vinegar would affect the taste...thanks for this. I will try red wine or rice wine and see how that goes.

And as an aside, I am really curious why store-bought mayo is sooo white? Mine turns out very, very yellow BC of the yolks, right? How is store-bought not yellow if it is made with yolks???