Menu

New Anne of Green Gables tv series!

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Anne+Green+Gables+series+feature+imagined+Anne+Shirley/6764955/story.html

Quote from the article:

"But Lambur said she doesn’t picture the new Anne of Green Gables to follow in the mode of the original or other popular period series such as “Road to Avonlea.†Think more along the lines of “Little House on the Prairie†meets “Downton Abbey.â€"

I love the first two Anne movies. Adore Megan Follows, the actor of Gil, Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla & Richard Farnsworth as Matthew. BUT, I'm still very excited about this!

I will be delighted as long as it is nothing like the idiotic third one, with Anne buzzing around the battlefield in some long suffering still unmarried after all these years, spy flick. That was such nonsense. Especially since in the last book in the series, it's Anne's sons' generation who go off to fight in WWI, not Gilbert's generation.

I will be delighted as long as it is nothing like the idiotic third one, with Anne buzzing around the battlefield in some long suffering still unmarried after all these years, spy flick. That was such nonsense. Especially since in the last book in the series, it's Anne's sons' generation who go off to fight in WWI, not Gilbert's generation.

ITA! I was appalled when I saw that movie. How could they do that? Unreal...

I can't imagine them remaking it either. Hope it's decent.

Word. I will never forgive Kevin Sullivan or whatever for that. Awful, awful stuff and totally blew the opportunity to make a movie after Gilbert and Anne are married with Megan Follows.

Thanks for sharing. I will definitely be watching. I was in love with Gilbert my whole childhood and Anne of Green Gables was my favorite book for much of it. If it is at all decent I will love it.

I agree, myself included. And with the most recent re-watching, I'm seeing where some of my odd fashion ideals came from as well. It's all about the clothing in the movie oh and I ended up with a green and white farmhouse as well, totally due to the show I'm sure.

Sadly, I'm only now, this summer, actually reading the books. I hadn't as a child and I loved the show so much, I didn't want it spoiled by reading the books. I've been pleasantly surprised with the story (well maybe not so much the windy poplars book) and also see why and how it was adapted for television as well.

I loved Anne of Green Gables, but it took me years to get through Anne of Avonlea.

I find the scene in one of the later books (Rainbow Valley, I think) when the little boy is sent to the neighbor's because Anne is "sick" and then walks home at night and sleeps on the porch, to wake up to find out he has a new sibling, to be totally fascinating in so many ways. The idea that a pregnancy would be so well hidden!

:iagree:I refuse to believe that the 3rd movie exists. I have not and will not see it because (in my world) it was never made :D.

I know the first two don't stick closely to the books and condense/cut/combine characters, but I thought they still captured the essence of Anne in a charming way.

I only watched bits and pieces of the the third movie, couldn't stand what they had done to the story, but I do have to say the final scene of Anne peeking around the corner at the train station, coming to get get her boy the same way Mathew did so many years earlier had me in tears.

I love Anne, I really wish I could get dd interested. Maybe the new series will help even though I really would prefer she read the books first.

I just read the article:

Quote:

“I always like to know it’s based on the stories but understand sometimes the material is a little dry and so you have to embellish a little bit.â€

-Really?!!!! That kinda irritates me, the stories are so rich that I don't see how anyone could ever call them dry and need embellishing!!!

Quote:

“I picture it a little more truthful and a little less sweet,†she said.

- I can understand that. The Sullivan movies did leave out everything that wasn't sweet.

I want Anne to be tall. In the books she was tall, and as a tall girl I always identified with that aspect of Anne.

I agree that the 3rd Megan Follows movie does. not. exist. :ack2:

My grandmother gave me the entire series in hardback when I was young. I have let my older girls keep these in their room since they were old enough to read them. The books have been read on a regular basis for years with different ones being favorites as my daughters grew up. My eldest dd, who will be getting married in a few weeks, was stunned that I wasn't going to let her take them with her to her new home. I think these books will have to be mentioned specifically in our will. :)

I want Anne to be tall. In the books she was tall, and as a tall girl I always identified with that aspect of Anne.

My grandmother gave me the entire series in hardback when I was young. I have let my older girls keep these in their room since they were old enough to read them. The books have been read on a regular basis for years with different ones being favorites as my daughters grew up. My eldest dd, who will be getting married in a few weeks, was stunned that I wasn't going to let her take them with her to her new home. I think these books will have to be mentioned specifically in our will. :)

Yes! I identified with Anne's personality but also her HEIGHT!

HATE the 3rd movie.

We had a bit of a battle when my eldest wanted to take the Anne series to put on her shelf when she moved to her DORM. I had to explain that those books were MINE. She just couldn't fathom that. She then proceeded to tell me all the ways in which those books and knowing "Anne" had shaped her life. :lol::lol: Then she said "Wow. I really need a life." :lol::lol: What a great memory! I need to gift her with her own set.

Which takes me down a bunny trail...this is the downside to being a bookworm who has handed that down to her six children. There is QUITE an expense involved in trying to *help* the kids leave YOUR books home by finding them their OWN copies! :lol:

yes, it took me a long time to reconcile with Megan Follows since she's not tall. Just didn't suit...

There are certain books of my mother's that I read over and over and had to leave when I left home. I found exact copies at book sales - made me ecstatic!

Whenever I see the Anne books at sales I grab them and give them to girls that I know, to pass the Anne love on.

I took offense also at the "dry material" part. They could take any of that and make a fabulous show. Of course I love LM Montgomery's style of writing. Her descriptions of PEI make me want to go there so badly.

oh and hiding the pregnancy - I don't think busy little children (and Walter was a dreamer besides) really notice what was going on with their mom's bodies. Especially back then when children didn't question adults much. Being Anne was tall, and the clothes they wore disguised growth as much as possible, I can see a child not knowing about a new baby coming. It was the same situation with Laura Ingalls when her mom had Carrie (not described in her books, but in a factual account) how her dad took them to look for Indian artifacts and when she came home her mom had the baby.

oh and hiding the pregnancy - I don't think busy little children (and Walter was a dreamer besides) really notice what was going on with their mom's bodies. Especially back then when children didn't question adults much. Being Anne was tall, and the clothes they wore disguised growth as much as possible, I can see a child not knowing about a new baby coming. It was the same situation with Laura Ingalls when her mom had Carrie (not described in her books, but in a factual account) how her dad took them to look for Indian artifacts and when she came home her mom had the baby.

I think it is definitely a cultural thing, and that pregnancy was something not talked about. Too indelicate. I definitely believe a child of that era wouldn't know -- but I still found it interesting!

I just read the article:

Quote:

“I always like to know it’s based on the stories but understand sometimes the material is a little dry and so you have to embellish a little bit.â€

-Really?!!!! That kinda irritates me, the stories are so rich that I don't see how anyone could ever call them dry and need embellishing!!!

Quote:

“I picture it a little more truthful and a little less sweet,†she said.

- I can understand that. The Sullivan movies did leave out everything that wasn't sweet.

No kidding!!! That is a little worrisome! I'm reading it aloud to my 8 yo dd right now. It's so wonderful!