Menu

Hair Dye! I did it myself and it's terrible...

Can a salon color over my store bought home dye job?

I'm sure if I called a salon, they would want me to recolor there $$ but will it look ok? Has anyone done this before and had it look "right"?

My roots are growing in and the rest of my hair is this weird light red color :001_huh: I'd like it to be a nice brown with blond highlights.

:bigear:

Call and explain over the phone -- ask to speak to one of their colorists b/c the colorist will probably be better able to answer your questions.

Ask if they do a complimentary color consultation, and if so, go in and let someone take a look. Be very specific about what you want -- very specific; and be very specific about what you don't want and be certain that you and the colorist/stylist are communicating the same thing to each other.

I have colored my own hair for years.

That being said, I had one go bad. I consulted a hairdresser friend and was told that color will not lift color.

So...if the color is too dark, you will need a two-step process. (color to blend in the roots and then highlight to get the lighter color you're looking for)

It is not something I would attempt at home...

A good colorist will probably give you a corrective color weave. Some will give you a new base color and highlight over that. I'm afraid it's not gong to be cheap...

FWIW, I successfully colored my own hair for 25 years. Then, suddenly, some switch flipped. I don't know if it's age, changing hormones, or what, but I cannot do it myself without awful brassiness (yes, toners and all...fail). I finally had a talk with an excellent stylist to come up with a plan that requires a coloring visit about 3 times a year. I also finally convinced dh that a professional coloring job is a necessity - after the last disastrous results and seeing the apparent age difference when I "go natural," he agreed. :D

Edited by AuntieM

Many years ago, I dyed my hair black. In my attempt to get back to my natural dark blonde/light brown, I turned my hair CALICO. Seriously. My roots were white and I had orange and black splotches everywhere.

Yes, a colorist fixed it. Yes, it was expensive (especially for a starving college student). Yes, it was worth every penny ;).

:toetap05::toetap05::toetap05:

All you had to do was ask. She'll set you up right by the pool.

:leaving: Don't think I didn't think of that! (after it was done of course, :lol:)

I couldn't resist the box. Cheap, immediate, and the lady on the cover had beautiful hair. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

I think laughing lioness is a colorist. Maybe you could pm her. I agree this will probably require a trip to the salon, but she might have some suggestions of what to ask.

She posted recently on mommymilkies' thread/poll about changing her hair color.

See her reply at post #16:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395017&page=2

Edited by besroma
add link

How long has it been since you colored your hair? Were you happy with the color initially? What brand, color, and tone did you use? (Ash, Natural, Warm tone?)

I know the box dyes usually say to wait 6-8 weeks between color, but, in my experience, it really should be 3-4 weeks. Without seeing your hair, it's hard to be sure, but it sounds like what you are describing is fading of the color that happens gradually over about 3-4 weeks. Or, it could be that you need to use a different base color tone (ashy or beige-ey to neutralize some of the red your hair is pulling).

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to go to a salon -- you just may be in need of doing it again. I really like L'oreal Excellence for color and Frost & Design for highlighting. It's time consuming to do both, but I've never had my hair come out badly.

Edited by amsunshine

:leaving: Don't think I didn't think of that! (after it was done of course, :lol:)

I couldn't resist the box. Cheap, immediate, and the lady on the cover had beautiful hair. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

I know, heehee, I bought a box myself and really insulted her, and her teacher. :D