Menu

Does this grammar error have a name?

Ds (11) wrote the summary on a passage from Tom Sawyer in WWS. He wrote this:

"Tom on Monday didn't want to go to school".

I told him to write:

"On Monday, Tom didn't want to go to school".

But he is adamant the first one is correct. I can't explain why it isn't, but I just know it isn't. Can you please explain what the 'name' of the problem is? Is it "splitting infinitives"? If I have a "name" for this mistake, it might convince him.

Thank you

Ds (11) wrote the summary on a passage from Tom Sawyer in WWS. He wrote this:

"Tom on Monday didn't want to go to school".

I told him to write:

"On Monday, Tom didn't want to go to school".

But he is adamant the first one is correct. I can't explain why it isn't, but I just know it isn't. Can you please explain what the 'name' of the problem is? Is it "splitting infinitives"? If I have a "name" for this mistake, it might convince him.

Thank you

I don't know that I agree it's an error. "On Monday" is an adverbial prepositional phrase telling when Tom didn't want to go to school. Adverbs generally have a lot of flexibility of placement in a sentence.

One issue that you could mention is that the placement of the prepositional phrase right after a noun encourages the reader to interpret it as modifying the noun. In other words, we read it and think, "Tom on Monday". And that's not what he's intending. But that problem can be fixed by surrounding the phrase by commas:

Tom, on Monday, didn't want to go to school.

You are correct, of course that a more standard word order would be:

On Monday, Tom didn't want to go to school.

or

Tom didn't want to go to school on Monday.

But they aren't the only possibilities. I think it's great that he's playing around with non-standard word order. You could show him all the variations and encourage him to choose the one he likes best.

I don't know that I agree it's an error. "On Monday" is an adverbial prepositional phrase telling when Tom didn't want to go to school. Adverbs generally have a lot of flexibility of placement in a sentence.

One issue that you could mention is that the placement of the prepositional phrase right after a noun encourages the reader to interpret it as modifying the noun. In other words, we read it and think, "Tom on Monday". And that's not what he's intending. But that problem can be fixed by surrounding the phrase by commas:

or

But they aren't the only possibilities. I think it's great that he's playing around with non-standard word order. You could show him all the variations and encourage him to choose the one he likes best.

:iagree:

This is exactly what was in my head, thank you for putting it into words. Modifying phrase also works.

Edited by LillyMama
nothing's worse than typos in a thread about grammar

or

I agree with this. It's good to vary where adverbial prepositions are placed, and I'd be glad that he was doing this. I would just help him with correct punctuation.

:iagree: with this. Rather than make this a battle of who is right, show him all the alternatives. It would be something for him to file in his mind for later use.

I absolutely agree with those who say it's not a grammatical error. It is definitely a rather marked word order. It might be interesting for your son to reflect on what he was aiming at when he made this very deliberate stylistic choice.

I absolutely agree with those who say it's not a grammatical error. It is definitely a rather marked word order. It might be interesting for your son to reflect on what he was aiming at when he made this very deliberate stylistic choice.

I agree. This is not a misplaced modifier: there is no confusion about who/what it is modifying. It is a punctuation error.

The biggest point, though, is to teach him how his word choice affects the meaning of the sentence. His sentence is slamming to a halt on "on Monday," which makes it very important. Did he mean "on Monday" to be the most important part of this sentence? If so, it is excellent (as long as he adds commas.) If not, show him the other places he could put "on Monday" and how that would change the sentence. I would also discuss, like you did. the conventional word order; then explain how altering conventional word order draws attention to certain aspects of the sentence - and the sentence itself - and how we need to think about whether that is what we intended or not.

I think you have a fabulous conversation and learning opportunity opened up here. :D