Menu

LDS ladies, please comment - view of Adam and Eve

I read the article you linked about Welch and the Methodists--I never knew that, it is fascinating. I love grape juice, and suspect that if it had been a readily accessible commodity earlier in the history of the LDS church it might have become the standard for sacramental use.

Quite possible. I'm glad it wasn't though--I've always hated grape juice!

:D

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the article you linked about Welch and the Methodists--I never knew that, it is fascinating. I love grape juice, and suspect that if it had been a readily accessible commodity earlier in the history of the LDS church it might have become the standard for sacramental use.

I learned it during confirmation classes. Apparently Welch's used to advertise in the back of the book of doctrine (I know there's a more correct name, but apparently I can remember the grape juice information better than the actual Methodist books :P ).

I saw water being used as the sacramental beverage in episodes of Big Love (I know, I know - we don't need to follow the rabbit trail of Big Love vs. FLDS vs. LDS), and wondered if it was strictly FLDS or if LDS used that as well. Can churches use another liquid?

What do you use for the "bread"? I've had ministers who used everything from crusty french bread to communion wafers (ugh) to pita bread and matzo (which some consider more historically accurate). But always, always grape juice :)

eta: http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=1&mid=1339 The United Methodist Book of Worship is the book, and that link has a quick answer about using grape juice.

Edited by amey311

I learned it during confirmation classes. Apparently Welch's used to advertise in the back of the book of doctrine (I know there's a more correct name, but apparently I can remember the grape juice information better than the actual Methodist books :P ).

I saw water being used as the sacramental beverage in episodes of Big Love (I know, I know - we don't need to follow the rabbit trail of Big Love vs. FLDS vs. LDS), and wondered if it was strictly FLDS or if LDS used that as well. Can churches use another liquid?

What do you use for the "bread"? I've had ministers who used everything from crusty french bread to communion wafers (ugh) to pita bread and matzo (which some consider more historically accurate). But always, always grape juice :)

Usually just regular bread, although when I was in the Middle East we used pita bread, and when ordinary bread isn't available anything reasonable can be used as a substitute. The specifics of what we eat and drink are considered to be much less important than the intent behind the ordinance. I think the general principle behind what is used on a regular basis is that it is better to have something generically acceptable (like ordinary bread) that doesn't draw attention to itself and away from the ordinance. People with specific dietary needs (celiac, for example) may request a substitute which they often bring themselves and give to those administering the sacrament to be blessed.

Usually just regular bread, although when I was in the Middle East we used pita bread, and when ordinary bread isn't available anything reasonable can be used as a substitute. The specifics of what we eat and drink are considered to be much less important than the intent behind the ordinance. I think the general principle behind what is used on a regular basis is that it is better to have something generically acceptable (like ordinary bread) that doesn't draw attention to itself and away from the ordinance. People with specific dietary needs (celiac, for example) may request a substitute which they often bring themselves and give to those administering the sacrament to be blessed.

And the LDS church doesn't have a belief in transubstantiation, correct? I think that's just Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox.

I agree that the specific "bread" is less important than the intent.

I'm no cheerleader for the LDS church (i'm an agnostic with atheistic leanings), but I would respectfully ask that the discussion stay on topic. ANd "on topic" is not detailing how the LDS church is demonic. "Let he who is without sin..." and all that.

And the LDS church doesn't have a belief in transubstantiation, correct? I think that's just Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox.

I agree that the specific "bread" is less important than the intent.

I'm no cheerleader for the LDS church (i'm an agnostic with atheistic leanings), but I would respectfully ask that the discussion stay on topic. ANd "on topic" is not detailing how the LDS church is demonic. "Let he who is without sin..." and all that.

Thank you for that. :) Definite no on the transubstantiation. I've had rolls and white bread and whatever bread was on sale that week. :tongue_smilie: It's the blessing on the bread that matters, not the ingredients.

And 3Blessings4Me, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the Priesthood's succession continuing unbroken to the present day through the Popes. We believe it was lost in the apostasy with the deaths of the apostles, and the Catholic belief you shared with us is that it continued but the apostles didn't. . We believe ours to be true and you believe yours to be true, and I don't think either of us will convince each other of the opposite today. :)