Menu

Does this curriculum exist? (KJV Bible based language arts)

Greta

Does anyone know of an English curriculum (vocabulary, grammar, etc.) based on the King James Bible?

I have "The Ultimate Living Book Unit Study Adventure" and it has some great ideas for Bible based studies. But I'm wondering if there's something available that's a bit more fleshed-out and planned-out. I think that I could do my own thing and be very happy, but I thought that if someone else has already done the work, why not at least check it out and see if it would fit our needs? I'm not necessarily looking to build our entire curriculum around the KJV (history, geography, science, etc.) but I am interested in doing Bible based language arts. Does such a program exist?

:lurk5: If it doesn't it should! That sounds like an awesome idea! :) My LA program uses the KJV for all Bible quotes, but it isn't specifically language arts taught only using the Bible. I think we have some Mennonite sisters on the boards don't we? I wonder what they use for LA.

Christian Light Education uses KJV. I believe that is more in the middle grammar grades for LA. The reading program most certainly uses it.

A thought is to go over the grammar and then put a verse from the Bible (write some of incorrect, for editing purposes) on a white board and start diagramming together. I think this is the best way to learn diagramming!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I can't wait to check them all out. :001_smile:

Hunter, I am reading one of Leland Ryken's books right now! It's not the one you linked, though - that one looks even better! I always have many more things in my amazon shopping cart than I can actually afford, but I'll have to find the money for that one, it sounds really good.

If you've not looked into it already, ABEKA is completely KJV --- at least through 5th grade. We swapped over to Rod & Staff a few years ago and they, too, are strictly KJV. My only issue with R & S is their doctrine is also included in the assignments (just something to keep in mind).

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Happy Homeschooling :)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I can't wait to check them all out. :001_smile:

Hunter, I am reading one of Leland Ryken's books right now! It's not the one you linked, though - that one looks even better! I always have many more things in my amazon shopping cart than I can actually afford, but I'll have to find the money for that one, it sounds really good.

He's the only source I know of for figurative language studies of the Bible.

CLE has a great 7th grade Bible lightunit on Hebrew poetry/psalms, that you won't want to miss. I think it might be 703. It's hardcore LA.

A thought is to go over the grammar and then put a verse from the Bible (write some of incorrect, for editing purposes) on a white board and start diagramming together. I think this is the best way to learn diagramming!

Yes, this is precisely one of the activities I had envisioned if I take a DIY approach! I thought I might use Penny Gardner's highlights as the basis for the lessons, pick out vocabulary words as needed, do some activities like picking out all the prepositions and prepositional phrases before identifying the other parts of speech (I had a middle school English teacher who taught us to do it that way, and it really clicked for me), discussions of idioms, metaphors, etc. as they come up, diagramming, editing, some memory work, and whatever else I can think of. If you have any other thoughts, I'm :bigear:

Okay, I have what is probably a really dumb question for those of you who are recommending Rod & Staff, CLE, and A Beka. Are you talking about their Bible programs, or their English/LA programs? I was assuming their Bible programs would be theology and not language arts, so I'm guessing you're talking about the LA programs?

Rod and Staff Bible 5-8 might be LA enough for you. A lot of Bible curricula can be used as a reading curriculum, especially if they are focusing on comprehension and vocabulary. The comp questions for BSGFAA were originally designed for both the KJV and NIV. There is a book with several comp questions for each book of the BIble, but I forget the name. It's a 2 volume set.

I was under the assumption that some of the posters don't really understand what you mean by Bible CENTERED language arts. I think they meant that the LA curricula quote KJV scripture.

Rod and Staff Bible 5-8 might be LA enough for you. A lot of Bible curricula can be used as a reading curriculum, especially if they are focusing on comprehension and vocabulary.

Okay, this might work! I'd be fine with a reading program, and then we could do some old-fashioned grammar (maybe Harvey's?) separately.

The comp questions for BSGFAA were originally designed for both the KJV and NIV. There is a book with several comp questions for each book of the BIble, but I forget the name. It's a 2 volume set.

I'll keep an eye out for it as I'm browsing. Thanks!

I was under the assumption that some of the posters don't really understand what you mean by Bible CENTERED language arts. I think they meant that the LA curricula quote KJV scripture.

I was wondering about this as well. I was thinking of the Bible programs from these companies as being theology, and the LA programs as including some Bible. But neither one is exactly what I had in mind. Though I'm entirely open to being corrected if I've misunderstood!

If you can afford it, Student's of the Word is what you are really looking for. It's pricey though, and has a high drop out rate. I'm not sure why :confused:

It is a "full" curriculum, BUT...it's strength is really the LA. There is a yahoo group.

If you can afford it, Student's of the Word is what you are really looking for. It's pricey though, and has a high drop out rate. I'm not sure why :confused:

It is a "full" curriculum, BUT...it's strength is really the LA. There is a yahoo group.

That's the main reason that it didn't soar to the top of my list. It's pricey, and a big part of what I would be paying for would not be used. But if you feel it really has the strongest LA, then I will take a closer look at it. I appreciate your help so much!

Hmmm... if it has a high drop-out rate maybe I'll luck into it used at a decent price.

Honestly you ARE paying mostly for the LA. The program is "complete" but most people prefer other options for many of the non LA subjects.

There are no answer keys, and the program begs for tweaking and adaption. But I don't think that is the cause of the high drop out. I think that many people just tire of Bible based studies. I think they are intrigued by the THEORY, but bored with the REALITY. That has nothing to do with the curriculum.

No matter what, sign up for the yahoo group. The ladies are just getting in gear to get chatty, and there have been posts the past couple days.

I'm not using my copy right now, but if there were a fire, it is one of the first things I would grab. It was on my wishlist for 11 years before I got a copy, and two used copies slipped through my hands (long stories) before I was gifted the copy I have.

You don't sound like this is a one week interest for you. I don't think you will be entirely satisfied until you get ahold of a copy of SOW. IF YOU CAN AFFORD it, I recommend this curriculum. It's a classic. Now that there are e-books, and self-printing costs are not the issue that they were, I really wish the publisher would offer this curriculum cheaper, I really do.

Honestly you ARE paying mostly for the LA.

I see. That's good to know!

I think that many people just tire of Bible based studies. I think they are intrigued by the THEORY, but bored with the REALITY.

I hope that won't be the case with me.

No matter what, sign up for the yahoo group. The ladies are just getting in gear to get chatty, and there have been posts the past couple days.

I'm not using my copy right now, but if there were a fire, it is one of the first things I would grab. It was on my wishlist for 11 years before I got a copy, and two used copies slipped through my hands (long stories) before I was gifted the copy I have.

You don't sound like this is a one week interest for you. I don't think you will be entirely satisfied until you get ahold of a copy of SOW. IF YOU CAN AFFORD it, I recommend this curriculum. It's a classic. Now that there are e-books, and self-printing costs are not the issue that they were, I really wish the publisher would offer this curriculum cheaper, I really do.

Thank you for mentioning all of this. We *can* afford it (though that amount of money is not trivial for us by any means!), but my husband will feel differently. I will try to find it used, or use their payment plan.

One more question, though, if you don't mind. I dont know for sure how my daughter will be educated for her high school years. We might use an online school, or she might attend a local charter or private school. So the next two years (7th and 8th) may be the last two that I get to choose the curriculum. Therefore, I would like to cover the KJV as completely and with as much depth as is reasonably possible for a child of her age to accomplish in two years time. Do you think that SOW is a good way to do that? Or since it's designed to be a six year program, should I look elsewhere?

Not mentioned so far: Memoria Press's Christian studies.

I just bought vol. 1. It uses the Golden Children's Bible which is a nice translation based on the KJV with rich vocabulary, but not so many thees and thous to make it hard for littles. It's memory verses are all KJV. And it can be used as Bible and Reading and copywork and comprehension and vocabulary. You would need spelling and or phonics. We will be using it along with R&s spelling and english for my 3rd grader next year among other things (vocab from SOTW and Latin, and addtl. lit, etc.)

Hunter, what can you tell us about SOW in particular? I mean, I have looked at their site before but just can't get a feel for what it actually is. Is it kind of like Bedell Curriculum (are you familiar with that?) where they go through the Bible and then study topics (history, geography, science) as they come up in the Bible? I would really like to see it in person.

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't want to hijack this thread. I will look for the yahoo group!!

Edited by Donna T.

Hunter, what can you tell us about SOW in particular? I mean, I have looked at their site before but just can't get a feel for what it actually is. Is it kind of like Bedell Curriculum (are you familiar with that?) where they go through the Bible and then study topics (history, geography, science) as they come up in the Bible? I would really like to see it in person.

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't want to hijack this thread. I will look for the yahoo group!!

I don't think your question is hijacking this thread. You will get better info at the yahoo group, but you might want to post here too. I still get messages there, but asked to be put on moderatorship. Only certain people can post there without posts being first approved and sometimes posts take days to be approved, other times only minutes. There are often ultra-conservative ladies there and some of them will unsubscribe if they feel it's not an appropriate place for them to be. I was ultraconservative in the past, but...I don't know what I'm doing now :-0 I just try and be sensitive.

I also have volumes 1-8 of Bedell. Volume 9 is on hold while he writes a plan B curriculum that is organized by subject instead of scripturally. In the future both plan A and plan B will be available.

Bedell is open and go. I use it alot when my seizures are out of control. It does not cover LA. It's Bible, social studies (not just history), and science. It's a struggle to line Bedell up with SOW. Bedell is all crunched up in Genesis and the lean throughout the prophets, Psalms and Proverbs. Bedell is fascinating and makes the Bible come alive. It is also VERY oldschool and in my opinion advocates not honoring the Declaration of Human Rights for women, which is NOT okay with ME. Women are human too and deserve to be treated FULLY as human. But Mr. Bedell is fascinating enough to keep me reading, so I give him some passes.

SOWS strength is the LA portion. There is a large portion of scripture for the week, and also a shorter portion that is worked with more intensively, called the KSV (Key scripture verse). There are 2 versions of the KSV for older and younger students. A lot of the LA assignments are generic and don't come with an answer key.

The Carnal vs Virtues chart is used extensively throughout the curriculum. There is a lot of information and helps on discipling and scheduling the children. Emphasis is put on getting the home in order.

I waited 11 years to get my copy, as I said. It's not worth an argument with a husband, but it is worth saving up for and praying for, for families that can afford it. SOW is on my "classic" list.

I see. That's good to know!

I hope that won't be the case with me.

Thank you for mentioning all of this. We *can* afford it (though that amount of money is not trivial for us by any means!), but my husband will feel differently. I will try to find it used, or use their payment plan.

One more question, though, if you don't mind. I dont know for sure how my daughter will be educated for her high school years. We might use an online school, or she might attend a local charter or private school. So the next two years (7th and 8th) may be the last two that I get to choose the curriculum. Therefore, I would like to cover the KJV as completely and with as much depth as is reasonably possible for a child of her age to accomplish in two years time. Do you think that SOW is a good way to do that? Or since it's designed to be a six year program, should I look elsewhere?

You would have to do some major tweaking to adapt the program to a 2 year program. Most of the LA lessons are generic and can be applied to any scripture. It's a lot of money for something you will have to tweak so much, but there is nothing else like it in the market, so...I don't know what to say :-0

I find that many moms keep their SOW for their own personal Bible study after the kids are done homeschooling. It's something many Christians would want to keep on the bookshelf forever.

Not mentioned so far: Memoria Press's Christian studies.

I just bought vol. 1. It uses the Golden Children's Bible which is a nice translation based on the KJV with rich vocabulary, but not so many thees and thous to make it hard for littles.

Do you know if the later volumes switch to the original KJV at some point? My dd is definitely ready for the KJV. I'll take a look and see if I can figure out if they switch. Thanks for mentioning it!

You would have to do some major tweaking to adapt the program to a 2 year program. Most of the LA lessons are generic and can be applied to any scripture. It's a lot of money for something you will have to tweak so much, but there is nothing else like it in the market, so...I don't know what to say :-0

Thank you, again, for all of your help! The fact that you admire the program so much makes me really, really want it. But the money and the idea of extensive tweaking is holding me back. I'm sure it's not as good, but considering that I can get it really cheaply, I'm wondering about trying Learning English through the Bible. But I'm not making the decision today, and I'll talk to my husband about it (after this very intense week at work is over - not the time to ask for a big outlay of money, while he's stressed!) and see what happens. My daughter is in a summer program right now, and we have a vacation after that, so we won't be starting school again until August. I have a little time to think. Thank you, again!

I find that many moms keep their SOW for their own personal Bible study after the kids are done homeschooling. It's something many Christians would want to keep on the bookshelf forever.

Well, that does speak volumes about the program. But it's also a bummer for those wanting to buy it used, isn't it? :001_smile:

Do you know if the later volumes switch to the original KJV at some point? My dd is definitely ready for the KJV. I'll take a look and see if I can figure out if they switch. Thanks for mentioning it!

Volumes 1-3 of MP Christian Studies use the Golden Book as the main reader and supplements with KJV memory verses and vocabulary study of the KJV verse. I'm really confused about volume 4.

Rod and Staff Bible 5-8 and MP Christian Studies 1-3 are quite similar, but R&S uses the KJV as the reader and MP uses the Golden Bible. I have the some of each series, as I often use the Bible and Bible story books as reading books with my tutoring students, as I did with my boys.

Thank you, again, for all of your help! The fact that you admire the program so much makes me really, really want it. But the money and the idea of extensive tweaking is holding me back. I'm sure it's not as good, but considering that I can get it really cheaply, I'm wondering about trying Learning English through the Bible. But I'm not making the decision today, and I'll talk to my husband about it (after this very intense week at work is over - not the time to ask for a big outlay of money, while he's stressed!) and see what happens. My daughter is in a summer program right now, and we have a vacation after that, so we won't be starting school again until August. I have a little time to think. Thank you, again!

Well, that does speak volumes about the program. But it's also a bummer for those wanting to buy it used, isn't it? :001_smile:

It's not a decision to make quickly. And it's one of those things I don't even have a general recommendation about. For a discipleship curriculum, in this day and age with the possibility of electronic copies, I think the curriculum is priced unnecessarily high. Many Christians cannot afford it, and that is just unnecessary in my opinion, and sad.

I spent 11 years piecing together my own worksheets and journaling responses. I can't say that my sons got a lesser experience in the long run, but it was SO frustrating knowing there was a curriculum and add on resources that I didn't have access to. And to have 2 used copies that I did pay for, slip through my hands just escalated the situation.

I'm so thankful that there is ULBUSA now, so at least a mom can make contact with other moms, who also do not have SOW and are doing it on a budget. The USBUSA forum is VERY quiet, but I think it is just waiting for at least 2 enthusiastic people to bring it to life.

Used copies do come up for sale. Many moms who choose not to use it, feel that they have no alternative other to recoup expenses immediately, to buy what they are going to use. Be careful when buying used copies though. There have been a lot of sad stories about used copies, such as pieces missing and lack of proof of purchase. The authors are pretty rigid about proof of purchase for access to updates.

Volumes 1-3 of MP Christian Studies use the Golden Book as the main reader and supplements with KJV memory verses and vocabulary study of the KJV verse. I'm really confused about volume 4.

I went to the website and it doesn't give a lot of info about vol 4, unfortunately. It just says it's a one-year condensed version (meant for review) of the first 3 volumes. So I guess it's still based on the children's Bible. I wish there was a sample I could view.

Rod and Staff Bible 5-8 and MP Christian Studies 1-3 are quite similar, but R&S uses the KJV as the reader and MP uses the Golden Bible. I have the some of each series, as I often use the Bible and Bible story books as reading books with my tutoring students, as I did with my boys.

The R&S sample that I viewed looks pretty good, in terms of just being a KJV reading comprehension program. If I decide to go with something along those lines, though, it would be hard to decide between that and Balancing the Sword. I think that my very visual and artistic daughter would really appreciate the art work in BtS. But *I* like the continuous review that seems to be built in to R&S (she wouldn't!). :001_smile:

And to have 2 used copies that I did pay for, slip through my hands just escalated the situation.

Used copies do come up for sale. Many moms who choose not to use it, feel that they have no alternative other to recoup expenses immediately, to buy what they are going to use. Be careful when buying used copies though. There have been a lot of sad stories about used copies, such as pieces missing and lack of proof of purchase. The authors are pretty rigid about proof of purchase for access to updates.

Uggh, I'm so sorry that happened to you! I've had such good luck with used curriculum purchases that I often forget that it is a matter of luck, and is in no way guaranteed. Thanks for the warning.

I've seen a higher than usual rate of dissatisfaction with used SOW purchases. Even used, it's not cheap. And people who used the product at all, usually rearranged some of the pages in the binders, or even lost some.

And...this program is not unpopular in families where there is domestic abuse going on, so... even when you are making a deal with a nice lady, sometimes a husband situation develops before the deal is completed, that can become very uncomfortable for both ladies.

Also people have bought this to try and get a LARGE unruly crew of children under control. The books have been handled, to say the least.

Just beware of jumping too quickly into a used deal sale. Enthusiasm runs high and people tend to jump in fast, thinking God is going to bless all this, and...sometimes, they are surprised at the outcomes. Tears and confusion is more common that I can explain. Emotions seem to run so high around this curriculum, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on :-0

BtS is just reading comprehension I think. R&S includes some history and timelines and maps and such. R&S is beautifully illustrated. The pages are greyscale not black and white, so have a soft look to them. BtS treats each chapter of the Bible as equal. R&S decided what is most important to focus on, and spoon feeds the material.

Hunter -

Having seen and/or used both of the above, what would be your recommendation. I understand that the R&S beliefs aren't in the 5-8 levels? Is it possible, do you think, to use just a NKJV with either curriculum, or should I stick with what is recommended??

Thank you

T

Just beware of jumping too quickly into a used deal sale.

Yes, thank you for explaining and giving me a heads-up.

BtS is just reading comprehension I think. R&S includes some history and timelines and maps and such. R&S is beautifully illustrated. The pages are greyscale not black and white, so have a soft look to them. BtS treats each chapter of the Bible as equal. R&S decided what is most important to focus on, and spoon feeds the material.

Oh, thanks for pointing this out, I'll take another look! I only looked at one sample from one TM, so I guess that wasn't very representative. I like the idea of the timelines, maps, etc.

That was my one concern with BtS - the fact that they give every chapter of the Bible equal emphasis. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but not really ideal for our purposes. One thing I did like, though, is that the author said the books are designed to develop comprehension and not interpretation/doctrine. We're Eastern Orthodox, and I'm not sure how well Mennonite doctrine would mesh with ours. But hopefully their program emphasizes comprehension over interpretation as well? The sample that I viewed seemed fine.

I am now officially naming this homeschooling method KJVCC, KJV Centered Curriculum. I added a tag. I'll try and find other old posts to tag to this one, for future reference.

Very cool idea -- thank you!