Menu

Looking for a reading series for a 2nd grade boy

My end-of-second graders have just clicked into independent reading. They like Geronimo Stilton right now. And Star Wars leveled readers.

Encyclopedia Brown? Boxcar Children? Magic Treehouse?

My 11yo went from those horribly insipid fairy books to Harry Potter over a summer at about that age (through Spiderwick and Series of Unfortunate Events), so I probably don't have a good bead on what level anything is on.

My son's favorite at about that age was Andrew Lost. It's about a boy inventor who has all kinds of adventures. The first is Andrew Lost on the dog where he gets shrunk down to the size of a flea and is on the dog. There is a lot of gross-but-true science in them. In the first one he is almost sucked into a lake of oil on an eyelid and has to fight off an eyelid mite. In one of them he goes through a whale's intestinal tract and yes, gets pooped out.

They are well below my son's reading level now but he still often pulls them out and skims through them to re-read his favorite parts.

My older son is somewhat of a reluctant reader, but when he finds a series he likes he will read non-stop. His favorites have been the Henry Huggins books (and some Ramona books when the library was out of HH), Boxcar Children, and Third-Grade Detectives.