Menu

What does everyone's summer schedule look like for their different learner?

We are continuing Math. We do nature study in the warm months as our winters are too cold so we'll be continuing that through the summer. He will also finish up science. We have two history and one science encyclopedia that he reads 4 or 5 days a week. He writes one to two sentences a day for writing practice too. We're thinking about adding a "fun" typing program for him to practice computer skills.

As far as fun things go we're planning on doing several things this summer.

Dh will be taking him fishing, we are doing a garden, we'll take a weekly trip to the beach and to the river. We want to do some bike rides on Greenway Reserve as well.

We'll be going to a couple comic con's, an amusement park, a medieval Faire, a couple children's plays, Ohio Caverns, & Hocking Hills. We'll be visiting a few sites on the underground railroad, the Warther Museum, an historic village, botanical gardens, NASA science center and a Maritime Museum.

Ds asked for a paleontology month. We are kicking that off with a trip to the Tyrell museum and working through this fun book . In addition, we will do math and journal writing a few times a week.

We will be meeting up with a couple of the boys and moms from his social skills group weekly. The moms are taking turns presenting activities from a social skills book that we all recently bought. Of course, most of the time will be spent playing. Should be fun. The boys are a good match and enjoy seeing each other.

Ds will be attending a summer day camp that his physio is running this year. She has quite the line up of activities for the kids. It will give me a whole week by myself to prep materials for next year. :D.

Hopefully the above and our 2 week family vacation will make for a relaxed and fun summer!

Ds is going to Rocket camp, and both ds's and dh will be joining an Aerospace/Rocket Club that builds huge working rockets and launches them (sometimes up to 22,000 feet). Apparently there are all kinds of math/science challenges associated with this and certifications. They are all so excited!!

The boys are also doing History Camp, and we will check out a Renaissance Faire. We are living historians too, so we'll do our Period Encampment, 19th Century game night, and a historic cooking competition.

I want to get the kids on a ferry this summer, and do some hiking and nature journaling at Mount Rainier too.

I'm looking forward to a summer of applied history, science, and math!

Guest Jullister

I have decided my dyslexic will be doing math and reading. He is not to happy about it but, I know it will help out. I am also starting him on math u see. I hope it works for us. Good luck with your summer plans.

We're taking a much needed break this summer. This was our last week. I usually plan school until the end of June and then break for July and most of August. But this summer we'll just read and play. I think I'll keep up with math but in a really relaxed no pressure way.

She's doing *about* 4 hours a day: 1 hour math (much less if she flies), 1 hour of the VP history (we're trying to finish it), and a couple hours for her state study (read for the new state, look up interesting rabbit trails online, scrapbook what she learns).

That's a lot for summer, but I felt like she had things to get done from the school year that she didn't. Otherwise I'd keep it at 2 hours.

We're only taking 1 week off for vacation and are doing a 10-week summer program. We kept the 6-day school schedule we were doing, but there's less time per day since we're just doing 3R's and enrichment. Activities involve a lot less worksheets and more fun. Reading and math lessons may well involve schoolhouse rock videos or Timez Attack gaming, and the other day a lesson on nouns and verbs was reinforced with a pantomiming game. I figured even if she has to keep working through to avoid retention issues, she can still have fun at it. Heck, she'll probably want us to keep this up for next year.

My little guy will still be doing math and phonics over the summer, because if I let those slide, he'll lose everything. He just finished his K curriculum last week, so we'll start 1st grade stuff this week. I was going to use Saxon 1 with him, but it bugs me that the meeting book calendars run from August to June, so I might hold off on that until the fall and use something else for the summer.

We're taking a break from speech until September. He needs to some time to assimilate things, and he's getting burnt out, so we'll reevaluate him in the fall and see how he's doing.

He'll continue with OT, and he joined the speedskating team this spring, so he'll be skating a lot. He'll probably also skate whenever his older siblings have ice time. Oh, and we've got VBS for a week. I think that's pretty much all I have planned for him, which is good because I'm overwhelmed with everything I have to do for everyone else this summer! :glare:

We take off one week at the start of summer and one week at the end of summer. We also take off one week at Spring Break, one week at Thanksgiving break, and two weeks at Christmas. After each of these breaks, my dd is always glad that the break wasn't any longer than it had been because she always has to back up some. It takes at least a full week to get back to where she was after a one-week break, but it takes 2-3 weeks to get back to where she was after a 2-week break.

We switch from two shorter math sessions to a single 30-minute session over the summer. She has been doing math for two 20-minute sessions her entire 8th grade year, but she'll go up to two 25-minute sessions for 9th grade.

We keep working our way through Spelling Power (she's dyslexic). She is in the 8th grade spelling list, but she won't finish it until the end of summer or early in 9th grade.

We keep going in history until we're done. We're going through SOTW4 right now. She wants to do a WWI/WWII study for the rest of the summer when we're done with SOTW.

Science has been hard to really get going for her all year. We're going to do conceptual physics as a class for next schoolyear.

And as always, she will continue to spend several hours every day on music - guitar, banjo, and songwriting.

I have decided my dyslexic will be doing math and reading. He is not to happy about it but, I know it will help out. I am also starting him on math u see. I hope it works for us. Good luck with your summer plans.

I see this is your first post. Welcome!

I've had my dyslexic do at least math and reading over summer, and it has helped. MUS worked well for mine, we will probably return to it, but needed a break--I hope it will also be good for yours.

Our Summer started last Tuesday and the entire family is trying to relax a bit. The last couple of weeks at the school totally confirmed our decision to pull DS and homeschool. I can't make plans for the Summer until we get his VT results. He will be testing this AM.

DS will be attending a football camp and likely continue with horn practice, the EF book, math, and reading. DS and DH have been playing with and shooting rockets since DS was very young. They have a kit of stuff that they have set aside with motors and wading and whatever else they use. They generally shoot those in the Fall when it's cooler outside.

DS made a video last night using pictures of P, music, and home clips. He's maintaining a garden, has been shooting his air soft pistol, and created a blank history timeline on the computer for next year. As he was making the timeline, I ask him if he realized that he was creating work for himself. That cracks me up. Anyho..If anyone needs blank history timeline sheets, PM me and I'll post a link.

Edited by Heathermomster

MOst of my plans are centered around my youngest. She is 9 1/2 and is nowhere near able to read yet. We have tried Bartons but that has not been a good fit for her. So this summer we will be doing intensive work with Logic of English to see if this will help get her jumpstarted. We will also be learning multiplication tables (I am dreading this) as well as fun stuff--nature study, read alouds, etc.

We have a move coming up so I am not planning much but we will continue with math, some science and probably some grammar. LA, math and science will be year round subjects for us from now on, as opposed to the way things were before when we were schooling year round for everything.

Adrian will be joining the summer reading club, sponsored by our local library system and funded by the Ministry of Education. He enjoyed it last year and got a metal for reading for more than 49 days during the summer months, for 15 minutes or more a day (well, Adrian was actually reading 30 min to 1h a day).

We also bought him a Meccano kit recently and he just put together his first project. He is very excited about it since the models are put together with screws so it feels like he is making real toys. He has been building with K'Nex since he turned 5 so the change is exciting for him. There are 6 more models he can make after he takes this one apart. He also attends the Home Depot workshops every month with his dad.

That's it for now. We will be taking the boys to some local parks and events but I have not decided what the plan will be yet.