Menu

Caterpillars in my Broccoli

So we just got our CSA share for the week. The newsletter said that the cabbage moth is being a problem, so wash and use the broccoli as quickly as possible.

That's fine - I figured I'd use the broccoli for dinner tonight. I start washing it and I notice one caterpillar, no biggie. Then I find another, and another. I start looking in the little crevices and finding tiny caterpillars. They're all over the broccoli!

I stuck it in a bowl of water, figuring I might drown them all. Will that work? If so, how do I find all the carcasses?

Is there some way to be sure to get rid of all these guys? The broccoli looks good. I just don't want to eat any caterpillars. If there are this many, should I just throw it away?

Help!

Think of it this way: You know it is organic.

This does happen sometimes. You're right to soak it a bit. I would also cut the florettes from the stem, check them well and use them. The stalk is tasty as well. Cut in slivers or match sticks and cook the same way. Cut off the tougher bottom part of the stalk.

Don't throw it away. Although, if you do have chickens, they will love it. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

I soaked it, and cut off small pieces one by one and gave them each a thorough inspection. There ended up only being the original five that I found right away. At least that I know of.

I'll keep all those suggestions in mind for the future!

Our CSA share also came with broccoli raab. They didn't say anything about it being infested like they did with the broccoli. Should I be checking that too? I just put it in the fridge, but now I'm thinking I need to give all my veggies an inspection.

I was quite grossed out - but I pretended not to be. The kids all wanted to see the dead worms, and don't think anything of eating their former home.

I remember my mom cooking broccoli from the garden one year and serving caterpillars for dinner. 1 of them survived cooking and was still alive in the bottom of the pot. So gross. I was traumatized away from broccoli for years (I was only about 9 when it happened, so add the extra drama of a 9 year old girl to putting your fork into your food and lifting out a caterpillar, these were full grown big ones)

I soaked it, and cut off small pieces one by one and gave them each a thorough inspection. There ended up only being the original five that I found right away. At least that I know of.

I'll keep all those suggestions in mind for the future!

Our CSA share also came with broccoli raab. They didn't say anything about it being infested like they did with the broccoli. Should I be checking that too? I just put it in the fridge, but now I'm thinking I need to give all my veggies an inspection.

I was quite grossed out - but I pretended not to be. The kids all wanted to see the dead worms, and don't think anything of eating their former home.

All members of the brassica family have issues with those little worms. I'd inspect the raab.

Soak in water with a bit of white vinegar. Will not affect the taste at all. We had this problem last year with broccoli grown in our own garden.

This was how I was taught. There is something about the vinegar that makes the bugs 'unstick' from the veggies and wash away. I am sure someone here has a more scientific explanation :001_smile:, but that is how it has worked for me.

and yumm fresh broccoli.