Menu

Is this a good price for a used white board?

I found a 4x6 whiteboard on Craigslist for $50. It apparently came out of a college, so I assume it's a pretty high-quality board. So did I find a good deal or should I wait for better?

Lana

This depends entirely on type and condition. I got a porcelain board that is SO easy to clean and work with. It has sturdy, un-sharp sides and I don't mind having it up on my wall (not an eye-sore). A bunged up board will never get quite clean.

Here's a site to do some comparison pricing:

http://www.dryerase.com/wall_size.htm

I just purchased some of the bargain bin boards and am happy with them. They are very heavy though as they are backed with wood! I am using a dry paper towel to clean ours right now and it does leave some residual marks, but I think they would clean up fine if I had an actual erase. (Hmm... something to add to my "to buy" list.)

Thanks for the input! It seemed like a good deal when compared to a new board at Staples, but I really have no way of knowing the quality without seeing it in person. I rarely see used boards on Craigslist though, so I may go ahead and take the plunge.

Lana

Expo dry erase wipes get rid of everything! I use mine a few times a year for a really good-like new type of clean. You can buy the shower tile, and make your own frame for it all for way under $50! And, you can have it cut to the size(s) you want.

We just picked one up last weekend at a garage sale for $5. It was by sheer chance, though. It's in decent condition, good enough for what we will use it for.

A lot of teachers at my school site have gone the shower board route and love it. I will say that Craigslist is a great place to pick up these supplies, but this seems a bit overpriced. Try to bargain with them. Most people just want the stuff gone.

Good luck!