Menu

Trying to decide on airline...

We are headed back to Ireland in August for dd to compete in fiddling. The past 3 years we have flown Aer Lingus and love the flights, free movies all the way on personal TV attached to back of seat in front and decent food (a lot of food). The flights leave out of JFK which is about 3 hours from us so we always have to store our car for however long which is an added expense plus the drive home 3 hours when tired is difficult.

Someone, who loves dd's fiddling, offered to use her earned miles to pay for dd's ticket but we'd have to fly US Airways. The flight is out of a very close airport so someone could drive us and we wouldn't have to pay for the car storage plus with one free ticket (supposing the woman was serious) it would be slightly cheaper.

The problem for me and I haven't been able to find this out online....I don't know anything about their flights...do they offer free movies or food on long flights? Has anyone flown overseas on US Airways? If so, what did you think of the flight?

Can you tell I have not flown very often?

For a free flight, who cares?

FWIW: I have never flown internationally where entertainment and food were not offered though and I have flown overseas a lot.

I have not flown US Air overseas but have flown it domestically. Domestically food was offered for purchase (WAY cheaper than the flight itself!) and we could opt to bring our own food on the plane from the airport food choices.

Dawn

If it's free I'd suck it up. Otherwise, we don't do American carriers, or try not to. Service is really lousy from our overseas flying experience. American Airlines didn't offer children's meals. Some United flights didn't have inseat entertainment.

Yuck. Have you tasted airline food recently? It has not gotten any better. I have been taking my own food on planes for about 20+ years.

For around $50 you can buy a portable DVD player and bring movies from the library (free).

I think its pretty rare these days though for most international flights not to have individual tvs at every seat.

But beware because my library only has a 3 day check out. It is $1 per day after that.

Dawn

Yuck. Have you tasted airline food recently? It has not gotten any better. I have been taking my own food on planes for about 20+ years.

For around $50 you can buy a portable DVD player and bring movies from the library (free).

I think its pretty rare these days though for most international flights not to have individual tvs at every seat.

You'd be surprised! We, and friends of ours, have had this issue on Trans-Pacific flights. My friends as recently as March. United is cheap.

As for food, foreign carriers have better food. Our kids got a HUGE kid's meal on Korean Air and were able to choose between five or six things! It caught them off guard.

Aer Linguis is a wonderful airline. The big difference is their staff is very friendly and truly seem to love having Children on board. We used them when we first moved to England. We actually flew to lreland the day before to make the connection.

But all European airlines have similar services. We go with easiest now that everyone is experienced which means Virgin Atlantic for us. We can take the train so no parking or rental car expense. For a free ticket I would certainly go on US air. Will it be a direct flight to Ireland? That would be my only concern. Switching planes takes time and energy. The food you can never trust--picky eaters. Our best food ever was on Luftansa to the US. The return flight it was aweful! We always eat a bit before boarding and carry emergency snacks. If someone other then me :001_huh:eats much of the plane food it is strange!

Thanks for the replies.

Even with the "free" flight, supposing the woman comes through with that, the cost between the Aer Lingus flight (which has great food btw) and the US Air flight is about the same because Aer Lingus is just cheaper. Really I am talking $100-$200 more for 3 tickets on Aer Lingus rather than 2 tickets with US Air...depending on which days we decide to fly because some days are significantly lower especially on Aer Lingus.

There would be savings with not having to drive 3 hours each way to the airport to and from the flight and not having to park the car for 9-10 days. With the close flight I could have someone drive us and pick us up.

As a creature of habit is it difficult for me to try something different. Hmmmmm.

I would definitely take the cheaper flight with less driving. The flight from NYC to Ireland isn't too long.

We've taken US Airways several times between the US and the Caribbean, and it was average. On those flights, you pay for meals, and once they ran out before they got to us and just said, "Sorry! There's none left!" I imagine on trans-Atlantic flights meals are free.