Menu

people ;showed up 2 hours early for our house showing

we were still cleaning the house for the showing. Right before a showing I hide the litter boxes in the garage and put their food and water bowls away just a little before the scheduled time so that was all still out in the open . Kids were making their beds, etc. dh had just woke up (he works here at home till about 3 in the morning so sleeps late). When I answered the door, I stammered out (I know I shouldn't have but I was just so surprised) "But you guys are 2 hours early" . Well that really made the clients feel welcome so they apologized, walked in the house very awkward and left. Found out later their realtor was showing them 8 houses today and they were ahead of schedule so just came to our house early. I had spent 2 hours this morning taking boxes of books and 2 bookcases to the garage and last night we had bought a new area rug for the living room (that we are going to keep rolled up in ds's bedroom and only take out for showings so it looks nice) of course that was not out yet. Oh well.

we were still cleaning the house for the showing. Right before a showing I hide the litter boxes in the garage and put their food and water bowls away just a little before the scheduled time so that was all still out in the open . Kids were making their beds, etc. dh had just woke up (he works here at home till about 3 in the morning so sleeps late). When I answered the door, I stammered out (I know I shouldn't have but I was just so surprised) "But you guys are 2 hours early" . Well that really made the clients feel welcome so they apologized, walked in the house very awkward and left. Found out later their realtor was showing them 8 houses today and they were ahead of schedule so just came to our house early. I had spent 2 hours this morning taking boxes of books and 2 bookcases to the garage and last night we had bought a new area rug for the living room (that we are going to keep rolled up in ds's bedroom and only take out for showings so it looks nice) of course that was not out yet. Oh well.

That was not only discourteous of the showing realtor, but unprofessional. She should have called you. Please tell your realtor what happened.

You might want to add more showing instructions to your listing such as, "Please call the home owner if you are running ahead or behind schedule."

ugh, what a pain!

It seems like the vast majority of houses on the market these days are vacant (at least that was our experience), so I think people get to the point where they forget that not all of them are! We had that sort of experience a couple of times....realtors turning up and knocking on the door without making an appointment at all....just assuming the house was empty.

We house hunted last year. There were several times we had to adjust our schedule if we were running ahead of time. Several listings we saw had very specific provisions for 'No Drop-ins" While this wasn't a drop-in per se, I believe you would have been very justified in saying that you couldn't show your home at that time and you would be happy to have them at the scheduled time.

I would also call you realtor and have him share your concern with the agent who showed the home. It's a tough market and everyone wants to make a sale. It isn't a great start to showing to arrive at an unprepared house. That agent, quite possibly, wasted everyone's time.