Menu

Baby Shower Gift Q?

Is it okay to gift a family heirloom, that you expect returned, at a baby shower?  

1. 1. Is it okay to gift a family heirloom, that you expect returned, at a baby shower?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Chicken Noodle Soup.

Poll coming!!

I have a baby cradle that my mother used when we were babies. She gave it to me when she moved right after I got out of high school. It still meets safety req's. I used it for my children as infants. I want to keep it to give to them when they have children. But.... I also want to share it with my brothers.

My SIL (brother's wife) is having her baby shower this weekend. I was going to give her the cradle at the shower. Buuut... is it tacky to give a gift that is expected to be returned at some point?

I mean, I don't anticipate needing it back until my kids are grown or my other brothers (aged 18 and 11 right now-- not likely to be having babies anytime soon) start their families. B & SIL would of course be welcome to use it for this and any subsequent babies they have in the mean time.

I guess I don't have to share it at all, but I thought it would be a nice thing to do. What says the Hive?

It has been my experience that if something is valuable to me, I should not loan it out. Too many things happen...people move and forget that they borrowed it, they forget they borrowed it and sell it (or send it to the dump :eek:), or they break it/damage it.

If I can still be joyful if it doesn't come back to me or is somehow damaged, I will loan it. But if I will be sad and resentful if it does not come back to me, I keep it.

In your case, being that you want to hand it down to your kids, and being that your mom gave it to you, I would certainly hesitate to loan it out.

I voted no as a gift, but I see no reason why it couldn't be presented at the shower.

Do you know the organizers of the shower? Perhaps you can bring the cradle, it can be used to display gifts/be part of the decorations. And the guests could be told that the baby's father had used it as a baby, etc. etc.

That's assuming that SIL has already decided that she would like to use it.

We have a cradle that many of my cousins slept in and one of my siblings. All the babies names were carved into it. When the cousins started having babies, my sister and I were the only ones that wanted to use it.

If you give it as a gift at a baby shower, then that implies it is theirs to do with as they want - sell it, trash it, give it away.

Give a different presents and ask if they want to borrow it. Even then I would keep track of it if you really want it back, because it still could get sold, given away etc.