Menu

Does your eye doctor do your glasses prescription before or after he dilates?

I think I must have gone to a really BAD ophthomologist because he dilated first, then did the testing for the prescription. I thought it was weird because I could barely see from the dilation (because my good eye-the one that does most of my seeing-was totally blurred from it) at the time of the testing.

When I got to Lenscrafters later to get fitted for the contact lenses w/ that prescription, the doc there said the prescription was WAY off (like by half!) now that I'm not as dilated later in the day.

I just picked this ophthomologist off the internet because the other doc he's in practice with is known to be great (and not taking new patients.)

The Lenscrafters doc said the opthomologists will sometimes do that with the dilation because they don't care about the prescription as much as checking for structure, disease, etc.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or was this just a horrible doc? I was so shocked!

DDs optometrist (not ophtho) got a prescription first, then dilated and adjusted the prescription slightly. I have no idea what that means, but her glasses were good for her. :confused:
This is what our developmental optometrist does... adjusts (if necessary) after dilation. Edited by nmoira

DDs optometrist (not ophtho) got a prescription first, then dilated and adjusted the prescription slightly.

:iagree: I see a dev OD and this is how she does it. she was originally partnered with the dev ophthalmologist I saw 30 years ago. He did the same thing. (his health forced him to retire)

1) she also has the "automatic refractor" where you look in one eye at a time and it tells you your prescription. Its the very first thing they do.

2) the assistant doing a manual exam,

3) then dilation,

4) the Dr. to fine tune.

The optometrist I worked for did this

1) she also has the "automatic refractor" where you look in one eye at a time and it tells you your prescription. Its the very first thing they do.

along with other "pre-tests" (that was my job, along with some other things)

Then this

2) the assistant doing a manual exam,

which consisted of having the patient read the eye chart projected on the wall, first with one eye, then the other

Then the optometrist would do his exam

3) then dilation,

then dilation, then to the Dr for the internal eye exam (for health of the eye)

Edited by gardening momma

The assistant usually has me read the chart with my glasses on. Dilates. Then Doc exam. I have never had an issue with the dilation affecting my prescription.

If you were having an issue with the dilation it sounds like the drops were too strong. Did you say something to the doc while you were there?

My kid's ophthalmologist gives prescriptions with no input from my kid at all. He looks into the eyes with various lenses. After dilation. New glasses prescriptions are only given after dilation. Apparently they can do this for babies. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen.

Hmm, maybe he did that prescription thing-y on me w/out me knowing because he didn't really ask me things like does this look better, does that look better, etc.

But it definitely would have been after dilation, when I could barely see. Maybe that doesn't even matter and the guy at Lenscrafters is wrong!

I asked my optho once because I could NOT figure out how they had determined that Navy dd needed glasses--she was already dilated. Turns out (optho was retired military, that's why I asked him) that the AF doc was taking the measurements off the back of dd's eyes. None of the "one or two, two or three" stuff. It's MUCH more precise.

That must be what they're doing now! I wonder if the Lenscrafters guy is wrong. I might need a THIRD opinion to find out why the other two were so different from each other.

We moved several months ago, so we have a new eye doc. This office does not dilate but uses a camera. I'm loving it!!! No long wait, no messed up vision.

I just had an eye exam a few months ago and got a new prescription and I wasn't dilated at all. They used a machine/camera.