Menu

Math -- if money was no object

If money really, really was no object, what math program would you choose for this second grader? My 7yo son is going into second grade and seems pretty intuitively mathy and likes math but is not a very strong reader yet. We've been using Miquon, and he likes some of the experimenting with the rods but not all; often, he really just wants to figure it out in his head without the rods but is generally okay if I use them to illustrate a new concept. I am thinking we'll use the Miquon until he finishes all six books and/or gets tired of them, and then we'll switch to CSMP, but I'm mainly looking at that because it's free. I also picked up a Singapore 3A book at the CHAP convention last week because they were so inexpensive. On the one hand, the budget really matters, and he's only a second grader, but otoh, I really want to do right by him and give him a good start.

If money really, really was no object, what math program would you choose for this second grader? My 7yo son is going into second grade and seems pretty intuitively mathy and likes math but is not a very strong reader yet. We've been using Miquon, .... I also picked up a Singapore 3A book at the CHAP convention last week because they were so inexpensive.

If you've already got Miquon, then Singapore Primary Math will work really well with it. It often shows up here as one recommendation for intuitively mathy kids.

If you've already got Miquon, then Singapore Primary Math will work really well with it. It often shows up here as one recommendation for intuitively mathy kids.

:iagree:

You may also want to add in Singapore's "Challenging Word Problems" workbook. Fwiw, my kids worked one level down in the CWP book. For example, when dd was working in 5A Workbook/Textbook, she was also working with CWP level 4.

Miquon and Primary Mathematics (Singapore) are a powerhouse combination, they are synergistic. If have time to also add MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme), which is free but for the cost of printing, then you have something that's priceless.

Bill

Miquon and Primary Mathematics (Singapore) are a powerhouse combination, they are synergistic. If have time to also add MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme), which is free but for the cost of printing, then you have something that's priceless.

Bill

I have not loved MEP the couple of times I've glanced at it; I'm not sure why, but it really didn't appeal to me. I also don't think I'm going to be good at using three curricula, so I'm going to put that particular idea on hold for a little while.

I do, however, love the recommendations to combine Miquon and Singapore. How does one do this, though? Best way? He's in the beginning of the Miquon blue book -- which Singapore book should I get to start along with that? Also, what Singapore stuff do I need? There's a student workbook, a textbook, and a Home Instruction Guide, I think? Do I need all three if I'm using Miquon too?

Sorry for the many questions, but thanks! I'm glad to see that nobody so far has screamed that I really must have MUS or something. The Dreambox thing looks cool, not sure if I can swing that or not.

I will look into the CWP for Singapore too; he'd probably like that.

I have not loved MEP the couple of times I've glanced at it; I'm not sure why, but it really didn't appeal to me. I also don't think I'm going to be good at using three curricula, so I'm going to put that particular idea on hold for a little while.

I do, however, love the recommendations to combine Miquon and Singapore. How does one do this, though? Best way? He's in the beginning of the Miquon blue book -- which Singapore book should I get to start along with that? Also, what Singapore stuff do I need? There's a student workbook, a textbook, and a Home Instruction Guide, I think? Do I need all three if I'm using Miquon too?

Sorry for the many questions, but thanks! I'm glad to see that nobody so far has screamed that I really must have MUS or something. The Dreambox thing looks cool, not sure if I can swing that or not.

I will look into the CWP for Singapore too; he'd probably like that.

I suspect he would test into 2A, but I would do the placement test on the Singapore math site, and use your best judgement.

The stuff to order IMO is the Standards Edition Workbook and Textbook, the US Edition Intensive Practice, the CWP, and the SE HIGs. Money is no object, right? :D

As to how to proceed a general rule would be to cover topics using Miquon first, thereby maximizing the "discovery" method and the concrete learning that is unmatched in Miquon, then moving on to Singapore to build up a superstructure (where it excels).

The topical information in the Miquon Lab Amnotations is gold. Do not give up on studying this book after you get the hang of the lab sheets.

I believe teacher education is the key to good math education so I would get the Singapore HIGs and study the Miquon teacher books.

I would also glance at MEP again. Look at the Lesson Plan ideas, there is some great stuff in there, and the puzzely problems are quite mathy.

Then next year you'll have to contend with Beast Academy :D

Bill

I do, however, love the recommendations to combine Miquon and Singapore. How does one do this, though? Best way?

I use Singapore as a spine, and we do Miquon as labs at least once a week. I also take ideas from Miquon for presenting different math concepts.

He's in the beginning of the Miquon blue book -- which Singapore book should I get to start along with that? Also, what Singapore stuff do I need? There's a student workbook, a textbook, and a Home Instruction Guide, I think? Do I need all three if I'm using Miquon too?

There are placement tests for Singapore. I'd start there.

For Singapore, we use the Standards Edition (because I've heard here that the Home Instructor's Guide is much better than the US version, and so far I've been very happy with it.) With it, I have the HIG, textbook, and workbook as our spine.

I add in the Challenging Word Problems -- they're excellent, and really round out the program. I also use the Intensive Practice books a half-level behind as review.

I'd say that, even with Miquon, you'll want the HIGs. They've been helpful for me in presenting topics in ways I wouldn't have considered.

HTH

I think your son will really like Singapore Math. I agree with the posts about buying Standards edition, Text Book, Work Books, HIG and Challenging Word Problems. I do not have my children write in the text books because I will resell those with the HIGs, but the CWP and WB are meant to be consumable. I did not buy any manipulatives.

My daughter was doing fine with Singapore but I saw that she was starting to lose her confidence because I think she wasn't truly understanding some of the concepts. After switching to Miquon she is thriving. So with her I will continue with Singapore topics after she has explored them with Miquon.

My son, on the other hand, thrives with Singapore. He is also the type who likes to solve things in his head and he just understands how to do things. I like the support of the HIGs even with him because I can see that while he may not be solving the problems traditionally he is using the strategies from the HIGs (often before they are introduced).

I can now see first hand while people are saying that Miquon and Singapore are a stellar combination.

Singapore here. My oldest doesn't need manipulatives (abstract thinker), so I don't use any with him. My middle son (visual thinker) uses C-rods with Singapore. I had Miquon and couldn't really wrap my brain around what to do, so I gave it to a friend to entertain her school-addicted about-to-turn-5 year old. :D I'm probably using the C-rods similarly to how Miquon uses them, but I just use them with Singapore instead. Easy enough for me. :) The biggest thing is that I hold myself back when my son starts exploring with the rods, even if I would really like to move on to the next problem. I let him explore and discover something. When he's done with that, THEN we move on to the next problem. ;)

Middle son was not initially looking like he would be "mathy", as he was only counting to 10 at age 4, and he didn't understand addition/subtraction at all at that point. After going through Singapore's K book (Essential Math) and using C-rods with book B, plus using a 100 chart and straws/money to talk about place value, he is taking off in math. He has a bunch of his facts memorized, and yesterday he was telling me that 1-2 is -1. :lol: Now I expected this from my older son who was adding/subtracting easily at age 3. I did not expect that from middle son. I truly believe the C-rods opened the math door for him. I think they gave him the visual he needed for his brain, alongside the pictorial examples (which he also needs in order to learn some things). We're sticking with Singapore for both boys this next year. We'll be doing 1A/1B and 5A/5B.

No experience here, but if money were no object, I would look into adding Family Math and/or RightStart math games. Others may be able to help you choose between these.

And if I really had all that money, I'd probably also spend a little math money on some good quality board games to play as a family. I believe that games are an excellent way to develop logic, problem solving, and arithmetic skills. I'm not talking educational board games, just good fun games with no academic agenda. ;-) Things like Power Grid, Carcassonne, and cribbage will involve a fair amount of mental math even though that's not the point of the game.

Thanks, everyone! I wish money was truly no object, but with all of the recommendations here, I am going to try Singapore 2A and see how it goes, integrating it with Miquon. I've got the HIG, workbook, textbook, and answer key coming, and if those go well, I'll look for the CWP as well.

Thanks, everyone! I wish money was truly no object, but with all of the recommendations here, I am going to try Singapore 2A and see how it goes, integrating it with Miquon. I've got the HIG, workbook, textbook, and answer key coming, and if those go well, I'll look for the CWP as well.

You don't need the answer key if you have the HIG. The HIG has answers. :)

You don't need the answer key if you have the HIG. The HIG has answers. :)

Shoot. :) Well, it came as a package deal with one of the other books, and both were still cheaper than buying the other book new. And if I decide I don't need the HIGs for other levels, at least I'll have the answer key.

Math Mammoth. Which, luckily, is pretty inexpensive. We have LOVED it, and my son got a perfect score on the problem solving section of the ITBS after using it. I really credit the program for that. I can't believe more people didn't mention it! Very concept oriented like Singapore, but so much less expensive, and only one worktext instead of multiple books.

Edited by ktgrok