Menu

California history over the summer - help

Chris in CA

Did you want a Christian POV? If so, you should find a copy of Lesha Myers' His California Story. I suppose if you read it daily you could finish it in 9 weeks; she did it as a year-long study with her support group in the Concord area. I don't know who publishes it any more :-/ but it was a great book.

Beautiful Feet Books has a Calif history study guide; I prefer Lesha's, but if nothing else, BFB will give you an idea of good trade books to use.

Did you want a Christian POV? If so, you should find a copy of Lesha Myers' His California Story. I suppose if you read it daily you could finish it in 9 weeks; she did it as a year-long study with her support group in the Concord area. I don't know who publishes it any more :-/ but it was a great book.

Beautiful Feet Books has a Calif history study guide; I prefer Lesha's, but if nothing else, BFB will give you an idea of good trade books to use.

I just bought the Lesha Myers' book at my local conference, did you enjoy it?

It's very similar to what I mentioned above but the Reinstedt books don't have a Christian POV as far as I can tell. I still like them though, they are very interesting.

It is the one used for 4th grade here.

I think it is too long and complicated for a summer study, but my friend who teaches 4th grade says that they don't cover very many chapters of it at all.

My recommendation would be the Steward Ship unit study on it. It is designed to cover it in 6 weeks, I believe, although I might be wrong about that.

DD was in a coop to study CA history, and they used "Patty Reed's Doll" as their primary fiction, and the teacher provided materials for their non-fiction. There are a lot of great living books set in CA, including "California Blue" which takes place in contemporary Northern CA, and "Island of the Blue Dolphins".

For something a little different, you might try "American History Through Folksongs" California Songbook. Actually, I'd recommend the CDs instead of the book... I don't have the California one (though I hope to get it at some point), but I do have some of their other CDs. The format of the others (which I believe is the same for all their CDs) is brief historical explanations followed by a song. They're not the most musically enthralling recordings of folk songs, but they're performed simply and clearly. And it's a fascination way to approach history!

When I was around ten I remember reading "By the Great Horn Spoon" which is all about the California Gold rush, and loved it.

After 40 years the plot has faded, but I do remember I found it exciting and fun. Plenty of naughty mis-behavior (of the sort most boys love) if memory serves.

For yourself, Kevin Starr's multi-volume history of California is unsurpassed! But might take you more than 9 weeks to get through.

Bill

http://www.statehistory.net/

Has plans in the teachers manual to complete it in 9 weeks. I have it (both the funbook for the younger kids and the regular), we are just waiting for the States to send the info (we are native Californians - so we are doing both FL & CA).

I never got CA history - we moved to NM in 5th grade, and then back in 7th. I'm looking forward to doing it - but obviously, no field trips! LOL!!

I just bought the Lesha Myers' book at my local conference, did you enjoy it?

It's very similar to what I mentioned above but the Reinstedt books don't have a Christian POV as far as I can tell. I still like them though, they are very interesting.

Do you remember which vendor sold it? It is the one resource I always recommend for California history, and I've had trouble finding it on-line. (psst...I helped proofread His California Story. If she continues to keep acknowledgements from past editions, you'll see my name there:D)

It is the one used for 4th grade here.

I think it is too long and complicated for a summer study, but my friend who teaches 4th grade says that they don't cover very many chapters of it at all.

My recommendation would be the Steward Ship unit study on it. It is designed to cover it in 6 weeks, I believe, although I might be wrong about that.

DD was in a coop to study CA history, and they used "Patty Reed's Doll" as their primary fiction, and the teacher provided materials for their non-fiction. There are a lot of great living books set in CA, including "California Blue" which takes place in contemporary Northern CA, and "Island of the Blue Dolphins".

We're getting set to start the Steward Ship unit study on CA after next week. It is 6 weeks long. I have Beautiful Feet's CA History TM and would have preferred going with it because of the literature approach, but it would have taken almost a full school year to do and I just wanted to cover it over the summer.

Notebookingpages.com has a special on all their state notebooks right now btw! I downloaded mine several months back and am going to have my girls notebook as we go along with the unit study.

Notebooking Pages Individual State Study Sets

Do you remember which vendor sold it? It is the one resource I always recommend for California history, and I've had trouble finding it on-line. (psst...I helped proofread His California Story. If she continues to keep acknowledgements from past editions, you'll see my name there:D)

I bought it from the CHEA booth, but I also know that Area 127 had it and they are an awesome source of supplies for classical Christian studies.

It would have been fun to see your name, but it looks like she took that page out.

I'd prefer a Christian POV, but time and ease of use is most essential - as I am sneaking this in w/o it actually being "school work" KWIM?

My dds want to do the San Juan Capistrano Missin tour and make the model at Michael's Craft Store, so I really want something doable.

thanks

I agree with 2 others that posted here. :) I am sure the other recommendations are great too. :)

I was going to suggest State History from a Christian Perspective. I used the WA state history one and it was WONDERFUL! It is filled with different types of schedules so you can use it as much or as little as you like.

The other one is Jennifer Stewards California Unit Study. I haven't used it, but I have used some of her other studies and her stuff is GREAT! She has lots of recommended books to go with it as well.

If you are into lapbooking, HOAC has a few on California. They come with a research guide, so you don't have to do any extra research. Here is a link to a free state lapbook, but you have to do the research.

Have fun! :)