Menu

Is it possible to teach math myself without a curriculum?

~Anna~

We will start homeschool this summer/fall with my soon to be 7th grader. She is already doing some pre-algebra in school right now, but we will be doing that in more depth. Math is my strongest subject and hers too.

Am I crazy to think that I can just teach her myself without using a pre-made curriculum? I was thinking of just using alot of free worksheets and things online for her to practice with after I teach her the concept, and then letting her do Khan Academy or other math games online as well.

What do y'all think?

It would depend on you and your dd to a degree. Personally, I'd want to have a curriculum to make sure I wasn't missing anything my dd would need to know. Math concepts build on each other so much, and if you miss teaching the basics in an area it may have consequences in her future learning.

There is also the long-term education to consider. Many post-secondary programs require a certainly level of math. The institution may want to know what texts or resources your dd has used. Or if your dd was to re-enter building school, it may make the transition easier if she followed a recognized math curriculum.

Edited by tmoan

Lots of opinions, but my first question would be, "why?" :)
Mine too. The time and effort to develop good, sequenced problem sets in a world in which programs like
exist seems like tremendously inefficient. Edited by nmoira

For prealgebra, it could be done. Anything above that, no way. However, what you describe seems to me to be NOT about using no prepared curricula, but instead about taking bits and pieces from a lot of different curricula (the worksheets, Khan, etc.), putting them together your own way, which is another matter entirely (and not altogether uncommon around here).

The biggest obstacles to actually going without a curriculum at the prealgebra level would be (1) making sure you cover all the topics such that there is a sufficient basis for starting algebra afterward, (2) making sure you provide instruction that explains the conceptual basis well, not simply the algorithmic procedure, and (3) making sure you are providing good problems. Honestly, why reinvent the wheel? There are a number of good prealgebra programs out there in various styles.

I'll agree with the PP that if you are looking for a prealgebra program with depth for your mathy dd, you need look no further than AoPS Prealgebra (book, free videos, free on-line problem-solving practice program Alcumus, also on-line classes are available). If that doesn't appeal for some reason, there are others (e.g., Singapore's integrated programs, or a more straightforward text such as Dolciani). At this level, there is no way I'd trust myself to come up with either instruction or problems that offer sufficient depth.

(Eta, lately I'm starting to feel like an advertisement for AoPS Prealgebra :tongue_smilie:. That's how strongly, and how often, I've been recommending it lately. Don't miss the various articles on the website such as this and this, and the RR lecture on problem solving, if you can find the time and some earphones)

Edited by wapiti

Well, the "why" basically comes down to the fact that I am trying to save money where I can (because everyday I see something new that I want) and since Math is easy for me and I want to sit down with her and teach (instead of her doing it all herself) I figured it might work.

I have to agree with everyone else in that the time and effort put into doing that wouldn't be something *I* would want to do. If it is a money saving thing maybe try one of Lial's textbooks used on Amazon. I have this one. You can get it used for $5 with shipping paid. In the format options box click on the used paperbook edition and scroll through to find one in good condition without writing on the pages.

If there are other reasons, such as you prefer to piece things together so that it is covered a certain way, I say go for it and why not?

For prealgebra, it could be done. Anything above that, no way. However, what you describe seems to me to be NOT about using no prepared curricula, but instead about taking bits and pieces from a lot of different curricula (the worksheets, Khan, etc.), putting them together your own way, which is another matter entirely (and not altogether uncommon around here).

The biggest obstacles to actually going without a curriculum at the prealgebra level would be (1) making sure you cover all the topics such that there is a sufficient basis for starting algebra afterward, (2) making sure you provide instruction that explains the conceptual basis well, not simply the algorithmic procedure, and (3) making sure you are providing good problems. Honestly, why reinvent the wheel? There are a number of good prealgebra programs out there in various styles.

I'll agree with the PP that if you are looking for a prealgebra program with depth for your mathy dd, you need look no further than AoPS Prealgebra (book, free videos, free on-line problem-solving practice program Alcumus, also on-line classes are available). If that doesn't appeal for some reason, there are others (e.g., Singapore's integrated programs, or a more straightforward text such as Dolciani). At this level, there is no way I'd trust myself to come up with either instruction or problems that offer sufficient depth.

Yes, I would take bits & pieces of things I could get for free, along with knowing what she should be learning if she were to stay in school, to make sure I covered everything.

She is good at math, but I believe that she doesn't know as much of the concepts of it though, so I plan on going over alot of that as well for things she has already learned. I really didn't learn that way, even though I was able to figure out the concepts on my own. So I am not sure if AoPS would be too hard for her.

Thanks for all of the replies.

If money is an issue, definitely take advantage of the free videos and the free Alcumus at AoPS. It would be difficult to replicate elsewhere the types of problems you can get in Alcumus. Every problem has a full solution that follows, and the program automatically adjusts to the person's level. It starts out easy and then ramps up. Choose the "follow the book" option for prealgebra, and inactivate the other books. It's a great resource.

Oh, so you can use that for free even if you don't buy the book? Interesting, I was just assuming it was only something you could use if you bought their stuff. I'll have to look at that.

Money is not really an issue, I will buy something if it is what's best. Like I said, I just thought since I am good at Math I might be able to do it myself and save that money to buy the gazillions of books that I want on Amazon :-)

Well, the "why" basically comes down to the fact that I am trying to save money where I can (because everyday I see something new that I want) and since Math is easy for me and I want to sit down with her and teach (instead of her doing it all herself) I figured it might work.

In that case, I would buy an inexpensive textbook. You don't have to spend a large amount of money. For instance, this one could be shipped to you for under $5. (I haven't used it, but I have used algebra texts from the same authors so would have no hesitation.)

Here's another good option at around the $5 (used, including shipping) mark. There are plenty of others as well.

If you've got a solid but inexpensive text to guide you, you can be as creative as you like -- but you'll have a roadmap to help you cover the important material and plenty of practice problems built in.

Yes, I would take bits & pieces of things I could get for free, along with knowing what she should be learning if she were to stay in school, to make sure I covered everything.

MEP's free. It's a whole curriculum.

My library sells old textbooks in the book sale. I've seen algebra and other such high school topics. They are usually $2 or less. You may be able to find a textbook for cheap in thrift stores or libraries.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I may try it and see how it goes. I can find out what's she supposed to learn from the website for our school district, it has it all laid out by grade. I looked at MEP, and at first glance it looked kind of confusing (in the layout), but I think once I really get in there and look at it I will be able to find some useful things. I can always give it a go and if it's not working then order something. She saw Teaching Textbooks at the convention and said she wanted to do that, but honestly she'd do everything on the computer or TV if it was up to her and I am trying to steer away from that as much as possible.

I think it is a reasonable idea for pre-algebra. As someone who needs a LOT of hand-holding in math, I'd never attempt it myself, but if you feel good about it I say give it a shot!

If you wanted something inexpensive to have for reference, you could order a cheap copy of Lial's Basic College Mathematics. I picked mine up for less than $5, and it would be a good way to make sure you've covered all the basics.

I wish I felt that confident in math! Good luck with it!

Math has always been my strongest subject. I liked Chemistry as well, but didn't really care for Biology or Physics. I got my degree in Chemical Engineering, so I had to do alot of Math, although I don't remember alot of it now (Calculus) :-)

But I've always been able to pick it right back up.

Thanks for all of the replies. This is one of my first "question" threads that I am sure I will have more of, so it was nice to get so many responses.

Edited by ~Anna~

We went curriculum- free with Great Girl from about the beginning of middle school, after she finished the Key To... math series. Dh used old math competition materials, including some awesome Soviet ones, to teach her until he felt she was ready for calculus.

But he switched to the AoPS materials for Middle Girl, as it was basically what he had done but in an easier-to-use format. He's still planning to throw in some of those nasty Soviet problems, though. :). I would say, don't reinvent the wheel.

ETA: If money is a concern, you can see if your local math team will let you have copies of their no doubt extensive file of old competitions. Dh got the materials for Great Girl free that way.

ETA2: oh, you said not really an issue. Never mind.

Edited by Sharon in Austin