Menu

Admit it: how many educational books do you have on your shelf that youve nver read?

Halcyon

How many educational books do you have that you havent really used?  

1. 1. How many educational books do you have that you havent really used?

• None! My kids have used every resource on our shelves at least once.
    • 1-5 books that havent been used.
    • 6-10 books that havent been used.
    • 11-15 books
    • More than 16... Maybe waaaay more (post in thread with details)

I am not talking about curriculum, i am talking about all those fun science books, history "extras", math game books, puzzle books, "extra" resources (Complete Book of Animals, anyone?) that you got for cheap, or heard about here and thought would be a great "addition" to your spine......:lol:

I think i could do a whole "afterschool" to my homeschool just relying on these books......

Edited by Halcyon

Real books? I don't think we have much below high school material that I haven't seen my daughter with at some point. I consider squirreling things away until we're actually studying the topic, but haven't had any success yet. I'm devoting too much out of the way shelf space to "grown-up" books to try hiding stuff for the future. I do have a brilliant middle school and high school plan for using 2 spines at a time to compare older and modern viewpoints. That would only leave about a dozen thick tomes for free reading pleasure. :lol:

Aside from the curricula that I'm planning on using in the next 1-2 years, I can think of 3. They are all books on the Montessori method. My dad had a consulting business before he fully retired and one of his clients was a Montessori school. He had to read up on Montessori education in order to complete the project. When I began to homeschool, he gave me the books. They are all theoretical rather than practical, however. While I'm interested in some of the "hands-on" aspects of Montessori education (e.g. Right Start Math), the overarching philosophy of it has never really appealed to me the way classical and Charlotte Mason has.

I have lots! (Not sure how many.) But I inherited them by the boxful (banana boxes) and we will get to them. The kids have looked through everyone single one. They spent weeks going through their cousins books when we first got them.

MANY. I buy things along the way to be used as references now or later. So I don't really expect to have them all read immediately, but I love having them available for when we need.

:iagree:

I voted More than 16... Maybe waaaay more though.

For the most part 90% of the books I bring through the door get perused by at least one of the kids before I get it on the shelf but there are dozens of books in the house that we have not yet "used" or read. I am building a library I LOVE being able to walk over to the shelf and pull out some gem that is perfect for the topic at hand. But I have always been like this even before having kids I would pick up a book at a used book store or garage sale only to check it out knowing I may not get to it for months if not years. Thankfully DH is the same way. The only furniture we have ever bought new are bookshelves (wow this has only just occurred to me):lol:

I am not talking about curriculum, i am talking about all those fun science books, history "extras", math game books, puzzle books, "extra" resources (Complete Book of Animals, anyone?) that you got for cheap, or heard about here and thought would be a great "addition" to your spine......:lol:

I think i could do a whole "afterschool" to my homeschool just relying on these books......

You are kidding....right?? I have been homeschooling 17 years! I have stuff I don't even know I have...and other stuff I know I bought, but can't find when I need it...or probably sold and re-bought...and sold.....GAH!!!!!

I have skimmed through everything I own, but not used more than 16 items for sure. I usually end up selling things and then rebuying to be totally honest. I need to quit selling and just keep collecting. I have had many friends come curriculum shopping at my house. :001_smile:

At first I thought you were talking about curricula only so I voted 5 or 6. But after reading your post I would have to really say it's in the 16 or more. Sometimes I start going through our bookshelves and I think "what is this, where did it come from, why haven't we read this?"

Which reminds me of a funny thing I did a few months ago. I was trying to plan out some of next year with pen and paper and in frustration I started pulling all of the books off the shelf and putting them in piles by subject matter, possible grade etc. And after looking at all of those books, some I've forgot we had, I concluded that I didn't need to buy or use anything else at all for next year except to get my ds's next level of spelling and grammar.

Guess what I've done since then? Bought some books, bought some curricula. :001_huh:

I'm feeling guilty now. Going to have to try harder to utilize what I have---be more resourceful....

I voted 16 because I frequently visit thrift stores and look for books that might be educational/apply to what we are learning down the road. We haven't touched on a lot of the subjects yet. I would bet we have over 60 books (or more) that we haven't looked at yet past putting them in order based on the Dewey system.

I have to come back and add to my original post. Let's put it this way - I have found multiple copies of the same book in some instances. I've learned my lessons, and am very thankful I can go and search "past orders" on amazon, just to double check that I haven't already bought a book. :tongue_smilie:

MANY. I buy things along the way to be used as references now or later. So I don't really expect to have them all read immediately, but I love having them available for when we need.

:iagree:

I pretend that, once my kids are fluent readers, they'll all get read. And I'm sure they will, eventually- perhaps by the kids we end up giving them to once we've outgrown them. ;)

I voted 6-10. I counted 10 books on the non-fiction shelves that I have not seen the kids using. I should add that 6 of them were purchased for use in the 2012-2013 school year. I love books, but have become very selective over the years. I think the fact we have access to two very good library systems is partly responsible for my shift from book amassing to selective collecting.

Dozens, but my kids are still youngish and most of the unused books are to old for them...... That's my excuse anyway.

Dozens and dozens but most of them are for older grades or science/history we haven't covered yet. If I know I'm going to need it in a few years and see it cheap I buy it.

:iagree: but I voted 1-5 because I can only think of one age-appropriate book we haven't used.

ETA - Halcyon, I see you're enjoying Packer's "Tales from Shakespeare" I recommended a while ago! I'm so glad! I get nervous making recommendations.

Edited by kebg11