Menu

MCT Word Within the Word..what is going on????

I LOVED CE 1 and 2. I got the WWtW vol 1 and the first 20 lessons are just gobs of roots! My son is going to hate this! Any suggestions of other vocab programs? I'm all for learning roots, but I liked how CE did it with roots one week and words the next week.

I LOVED CE 1 and 2. I got the WWtW vol 1 and the first 20 lessons are just gobs of roots! My son is going to hate this! Any suggestions of other vocab programs? I'm all for learning roots, but I liked how CE did it with roots one week and words the next week.

I experienced the same let-down when my son transitioned from CE II to WWW, Vol. 1. We were doing okay until Lesson 12. He was overwhelmed by the quantity of roots and the complexity of some of the words. I jumped ship for the rest of the year because our circumstances required some less teacher-intensive curriculum at that point in time.

My son took a huge leap in his reading ability this year and MCT vocabulary words are everywhere, so I am back at WWW, Vol. 2 with a vengeance. We have slowed down the pace and I have made some of the work look similar to CE II.

MCT builds on previous books. Your student may see a root in CE I and may learn 1-3 words and their definitions made from that root. The root will be reviewed in CE II and then in WWW, Vol. 1, the root will reappear with new vocabulary words that the student has not seen before.

It may be be more work than many want in a vocabulary program, but the longer I play with it, the more impressed with it I am. My son's level of retention is amazing.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to use.

Sadlier Vocabulary Workshop is an excellent program for producing stellar test results, but MCT is living vocabulary, especially if the student is following TWTM for literature selections

We've been going very slowly through WWtW, but I do really like it. The retention is like nothing else.

On the first page of the lesson, I make it kind of a puzzle. I read the root and then all the associated words, then make them guess both the meaning and etymology - spelling clues and the common meanings of the words makes this quite doable, and makes it a bit more engaging.

WWW is HORRIBLE! It is the antithesis of CE. Seriously, it needs to be redone. It's awful.

Now, if you go through it at half (or better) one third the pace, it might be ok. But at one book per year, it's crazy.

WWW is HORRIBLE! It is the antithesis of CE. Seriously, it needs to be redone. It's awful.

Now, if you go through it at half (or better) one third the pace, it might be ok. But at one book per year, it's crazy.

Kai, to a certain extent I would agree with this. I have thought about sharing my experiences and observations with Mr. Thompson, but hold back because I know that the program is for "gifted" kids. On the other hand, CE II was a work of art and critical thinking and I don't know why WWW can't be the same.

I actually think that volume 2 is better than volume 1, but I can't pinpoint why exactly.

Matroyshka, I am glad to see you have found a way to make it work for you. We have done something similar and I still give extra points on written work that utilizes MCT vocabulary correctly.

Edited by swimmermom3

I actually think that volume 2 is better than volume 1, but I can't pinpoint why exactly.

:iagree: Maybe it is because each lesson has a mix of words and roots and review. It also has some neat activities that WWW1 doesn't have. And the layout looks a bit cleaner, too.

My son didn't have the pleasure of going through CE. By the time I found out about MCT, he was entering 8th grade, so I put him directly in WWWI. It really isn't *that* bad. If you can just make it through those first 20 lessons of just roots...

We used Quizlet and daily oral drill to learn the roots. My son completed a lesson a week. And yes, sometimes it felt like we were just "plowing" through it. But his retention of roots and his ability to now analyze a word and figure out its meaning is just phenomenal. I wish that I had been given this gift at his age! :)

Maybe MCT will redo WWW before my 2 year old gets old enough to use it!

Ha. We made the switch from Grammar Voyage to Magic Lens and found the same thing. All the magic was gone. Thankfully my daughter still enjoys the 4 Practice books but when we're done those we'll be finishing with Jensen's Grammar. Magic Lens has been collecting dust.

I decided to skip WWtW and switch to Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop. DH did those books growing up at his Catholic school and swears by them for SAT prep. He liked what I showed him of the CE series, so he was fine with doing those prior to VW, but he is happy that I've switched to VW.

VW isn't nearly as engaging as CE, but I like it better than what I've seen of WWtW.

I think that level 4 & 5 (www1 & 2) should be getting a redo shortly.

I totally went all slacky this year with my MCT. I am going to do OnlineG3 with ML1/WWW1 starting in August. I only got to lesson 3, and not as well as I would've liked (why I have no problem "re-doing" it on a class setting). It was almost impossible for me not to do the Landry English IV (the cost just made me cry...even though Online G3 will end up costing almost the same) as it does all MCT level 4 and time travelers lit and 2-3 other books I was planning on doing.

I need some help this next year...I'm totally losing it. :tongue_smilie:

I agree the tone is very different than the CE series. However this series has greatly improved my son's vocabulary and has taught him how to study. We are in no way going to finish WWW1 this year. I think taking two weeks per lesson makes more sense. There is too much in the day to spend that much time on vocabulary. It is very intense, but I think in the long run it is beneficial to the kids who use it.

I spoke with MCT and TMK at convention this spring.

One of them let slip that high school work should ramp up...but the question is..Does it have to be such a drudge? I say,no.

If enough of their customer base speak up and let them know, I beleive they will spend more time on the WWtW product. It has not been priority. We definately know they have the ability to produce a product equal to the CE series.

I spoke with MCT and TMK at convention this spring.

One of them let slip that high school work should ramp up...but the question is..Does it have to be such a drudge? I say,no.

If enough of their customer base speak up and let them know, I beleive they will spend more time on the WWtW product. It has not been priority. We definately know they have the ability to produce a product equal to the CE series.

I agree that high school work should ramp up.

However, WWW is marketed for *middle* schoolers if you start Island level in 3rd grade.

Most kids aren't going to remember all the stuff WWW is cramming into them, or even a little bit of it. I think the 5 words or stems per week of the CE books is really just about right for retention. Even if they had it be 10 words/stems per week it would be better! And alternating the words and stems is helpful.

I will be the lone voice of dissent. My dds have done WWWI this year as part of the whole package; both girls gave their option of it as fine, enjoyable, and a good jump up from Caesar, and are looking forward to the next level in the fall. We are a very wordy household, but I would not characterize my dds as gifted, just bright. Is our experience with WWW really this unusual?

I just got an e-mail from Royal Fireworks Press about new Ceasar's English edition and it says: "it [Ceasar's English] is the successor to Building Language and the precursor of Caesar's English II which in turn is followed by the Word Within the Word series - also soon to be augmented." "In the forthcoming year, we will add new sections to Word I, II, and III. In each case they will be designed to give students a broader familiarity with ancient Greece and Rome. Coming for Word I is a discussion of aspects of Greek and Roman history. Word II will contain information about the Acropolis of Athens and its buildings, particularly the Parthenon. Word III will focus on the culture of Greece and Rome."

So, it looks like WWW will get a revamp???

Edited by Roadrunner

I just got an e-mail from Royal Fireworks Press about new Ceasar's English edition and it says: "it [Ceasar's English] is the successor to Building Language and the precursor of Caesar's English II which in turn is followed by the Word Within the Word series - also soon to be augmented." "In the forthcoming year, we will add new sections to Word I, II, and III. In each case they will be designed to give students a broader familiarity with ancient Greece and Rome. Coming for Word I is a discussion of aspects of Greek and Roman history. Word II will contain information about the Acropolis of Athens and it buildings, particularly the Parthenon. Word III will focus on the culture of Greece and Rome."

I got the same email. I wonder when the revamp will be ready?

Ds did CE2 last year and we started WWtW vol 1 this year. I had heard that it was pretty intense so we decided to spread one lesson over 2 weeks. I didn't want to kill ds' love of words and we were in no rush. Ds will be going into 9th and if we don't finish all 3 volumes that's OK. We may pick up the pace depending on what vols 2 and 3 look like.

I was ready to purchase vol 2 at convention last month but Tom K. mentioned that a revamp was in the works - he couldn't give me a time frame. I decided that since we were still half-way through vol 1, I would wait to purchase vol 2.

With WWtW, I do have ds use quizlet occasionally to review.

I just got an e-mail from Royal Fireworks Press about new Ceasar's English edition and it says: "it [Ceasar's English] is the successor to Building Language and the precursor of Caesar's English II which in turn is followed by the Word Within the Word series - also soon to be augmented." "In the forthcoming year, we will add new sections to Word I, II, and III. In each case they will be designed to give students a broader familiarity with ancient Greece and Rome. Coming for Word I is a discussion of aspects of Greek and Roman history. Word II will contain information about the Acropolis of Athens and its buildings, particularly the Parthenon. Word III will focus on the culture of Greece and Rome."

Hmmm. I'm not sure I even want a revamp. Loved CEI and II, but honestly my kids complained constantly about all the Rome/Caesar references. I think they're quite happy to be done with all that in WWtW!

Hmmm. I'm not sure I even want a revamp. Loved CEI and II, but honestly my kids complained constantly about all the Rome/Caesar references. I think they're quite happy to be done with all that in WWtW!

I wondered about that too. We like streamlined, uncluttered books in general but I thought I'd wait and see what the new books look like before purchasing WWtW vol 2, since I don't need them right away. I think the old edition will still be available.

Are you using Vol 1 or 2 right now?

I wondered about that too. We like streamlined, uncluttered books in general but I thought I'd wait and see what the new books look like before purchasing WWtW vol 2, since I don't need them right away. I think the old edition will still be available.

Are you using Vol 1 or 2 right now?

Vol. 1 - we're about halfway. Now you guys have me thinking about buying vols. 2 & 3 before the revamp. :tongue_smilie: My older two are also going to high school next year, so I'd be using them for afterschooling, so the more streamlined the better.

Y'know, I may have to call RFWP to see if they will still carry the older volumes.

All the best to you as you transition into high school and afterschooling.

Vol. 1 - we're about halfway. Now you guys have me thinking about buying vols. 2 & 3 before the revamp. :tongue_smilie: My older two are also going to high school next year, so I'd be using them for afterschooling, so the more streamlined the better.

I should probably order my Volume 3 set now too. My youngest is off to high school next fall as well (when he isn't wavering), but I will continue to use MCT for SAT prep like I have with his older brother. MCT has also smoothed out Swimmer Dude's road in reading more sophisticated classics, so it seems like a good idea to keep going.

What I would really like in a revamp is fewer "esoteric" exercises. That is probably a sacrilegious thing to say, and it flies in the face of teaching the "gifted," I suppose. We usually skip "Inventions" and sometimes "Ideas," and often go back to the CE II idea of writing sentences utilizing the words as different parts of speech with "Caesar's Usage."

DS is keeping a quote book for when he comes across one of his words in his reading. He writes down the sentence and the source. Every once in a while I go back and make up a test.

Wow, they are off to school? I did not see that one coming with you! Hope it will be great for them.

Wow, they are off to school? I did not see that one coming with you! Hope it will be great for them.

Heh - I don't know how you do it with all those kids, Nadia! Three at a higher level has about tapped me out. I feel like my younger one has been sliding under the radar the last couple of years (much to her glee). And we've had some serious attitude the past couple of years too, while they seem to happily do work anytime I'm not the teacher... and trying to figure out how to navigate the logistics homeschooling high school with twins going in two different directions made my head spin (I know you have twins too... :)). Oy.

So, my town's reputed to have a great high school, so we're giving it a try... :tongue_smilie: We'll see!

The younger one will still be home and get all my attention through middle school. Bwahaha. :D