Menu

I need a light and fun audiobook to listen to on my vacation

I like Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series), Sue Grafton (Kinsey Milhone), and Robert B. Parker (Spenser). These are probably not quite 8 hours though. My library has most of the books in these series available through Overdrive. Have fun.:D

I haven't quite figured out how to get a book from overdrive to my iphone. Not sure if I will have time to figure it out before I leave Thur morning, BUT, I think I am going to stop at the library tomorrow while I am out and see if they have anything on CD, typically they have at least one of these lying around.

Dawn

I like Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series), Sue Grafton (Kinsey Milhone), and Robert B. Parker (Spenser). These are probably not quite 8 hours though. My library has most of the books in these series available through Overdrive. Have fun.:D

I haven't quite figured out how to get a book from overdrive to my iphone. Not sure if I will have time to figure it out before I leave Thur morning, BUT, I think I am going to stop at the library tomorrow while I am out and see if they have anything on CD, typically they have at least one of these lying around.

Dawn

I put them on my ipods so I would think it's the same procedure?:001_huh: Maybe not, I just got an iphone and I haven't put anything on it yet. With the ipod it's pretty easy, you just have to adjust a couple things in itunes (manually manage music).

I've enjoyed Alexander McCall Smith - The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency, etc. Last year I listened to his CDs that were originally published as a serial in a newspaper called 44 Scotland Street. I find them quite entertaining and light.

Thanks. I have read those. :D

I've enjoyed Alexander McCall Smith - The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency, etc. Last year I listened to his CDs that were originally published as a serial in a newspaper called 44 Scotland Street. I find them quite entertaining and light.

The only reason I am considering CDs is because I realized I am headed over that way......not even sure they will have a decent selection of any kind.

I may have to purchase a download.

I cannot get overdrive to work, but I am quite sure that is my own computer stupidity coupled with my library's horrible online catalog search. You have to search for a book, then click on what version it comes in, then click on audiobook and then you find out if it is CD or Overdrive. If it is Overdrive, then you have to click on "availability." So, after 4 clicks and waits it says, "This item is checked out, would you like to be put on a waiting list?"

It takes SO LONG just to find an available book and drives me crazy!

Dawn

There's an Overdrive app For iPhone. The catalogue system on that is a nightmare, too. (you can also just go directly to Overdrive from your library's website, as well, log in, put audiobooks in your checkout basket, then log in through your iPhone app.)

I would also look at iTunes U. Not so light, but they have Jane Eyre and other books in the public domain from Lit2Go, which are generally well read.

My suggestions for light audiobooks are

The Second Assistant by Clare Naylor and Mimi Hare

And the sequel

The First assistant

Both quite long.

Alternatively

The Quilter's apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini is good but the audiobook seems quite hard to track down though it does exist.

You know I think I downloaded it but still haven't figured it all out.

There's an Overdrive app For iPhone. The catalogue system on that is a nightmare, too. (you can also just go directly to Overdrive from your library's website, as well, log in, put audiobooks in your checkout basket, then log in through your iPhone app.)

I would also look at iTunes U. Not so light, but they have Jane Eyre and other books in the public domain from Lit2Go, which are generally well read.

What part of the country are you driving? It's fun to get in the spirit of an area with an audio book which takes place where you're headed.

For general listening, Bossy Pants is quite a treat. I laughed and laughed.

I also enjoyed Marly and Me. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is an audio delight. Make sure not to get the abridged child's version.

Skulduggery Pleasant is fantastic. The audiobook is better than the book because the narrator is amazing. One of the best audiobooks I've ever listened to.

Plot:

Meet Skulduggery Pleasant

Ace detective

Snappy dresser

Razor—tongued wit

Crackerjack sorcerer

and

walking, talking, fire-throwing skeleton

As well as ally, protector, and mentor of Stephanie Edgely, a very unusual and darkly talented twelve-year-old.

These two alone stand in the way of an all-consuming ancient evil.

Thank you all. I will be referring back to this thread when I finish the trip.

I went to the library today and they had several so I picked up:

One Janet Evanovich

One Harry Potter (I listened to half of it a year ago)

Biography of Michael J. Fox

The Kite Runner (listened to the first half of this one a year ago too)

The Beach in SC to meet my girlfriends for the weekend. About 4 hours away.

What part of the country are you driving? It's fun to get in the spirit of an area with an audio book which takes place where you're headed.

For general listening, Bossy Pants is quite a treat. I laughed and laughed.

I also enjoyed Marly and Me. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is an audio delight. Make sure not to get the abridged child's version.