Menu

Chicken and rice dish?

I used to have a recipe that used cream of chicken soup, but I can't remember all of the details. I recall a couple of cans of soups, maybe chicken broth? I think I remember milk in there somewhere. We liked that dish but I don't have the recipe card anymore.

Do you have a simple chicken and rice recipe to share?

Try this, instead of soup, my husband makes this (he's Macedonian):

Saute some onions in butter (garlic, too, if you like). Add some flour, salt, pepper and lots of PAPRIKA, lol. Oh and a can of chicken broth.

Then pour that into a large baking dish. Add your uncooked rice and then place your chicken pieces on top. Season your chicken pieces, too, with salt, pepper and paprika.

Bake covered for an hour or so and then uncover it for about 10 minutes.

It's really good. I am no longer allowed to make chicken and rice because everyone in the family prefers my husband's, including me, lol.

How we do it:

Boil and shred 4 chicken breasts.

Cook a pot of rice.

In a big bowl combine:

Cooked rice

Shredded chicken

2 cans cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup

1 can of sliced mushrooms

Chopped broccoli

Chopped carrots

Diced onion

Spread into a glass casserole dish. Cover with shredded cheddar. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

We like things spicy so we often add chopped red and green chili peppers, too. :D

Brown chicken pieces in EVOO, salt, pepper and thyme

Add chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 can of stewed tomatoes

Add julienned slices of Cubana peppers and red peppers. (Cubana peppers are a mild green pepper, it is a lime color, it sort of looks like a banana pepper, but greener. They have a nice, mild taste, not bitter like a green pepper, but of course, you can use any peppers that you like).

You could saute some garlic and/or onion first, too...play around with it. It makes its own sauce and you serve that over rice.

Another easy recipe:

Brown chicken pieces in EVOO. Salt, pepper, thyme.

Add quartered white potatoes and quarted sweet potatoes. Cover and cook until done.

This is not the prettiest dish in the world, but it is really, really delicious!

Ooooh, thank you ladies! I knew you'd come through. The dish I cooked didn't have cheese but other than that, is very similar to some of the recipes you mentioned.

I was looking for something simple that my ds15 with Aspergers is willing to try. He doesn't eat anything that is mixed together. Seriously. We stopped making casseroles and cook all foods separately. Well, except for meatloaf. DH and I refuse to give that up so we cook a plain chicken breast for ds on those nights. I told my son that I wanted him to help me make the rice and chicken dish so he can see the ingredients and then he can try it. He's willing so I am going to do that this week. Yay! (But he hates cheese, so that is out.)

That's interesting! I have a 17yo w/Aspergers and he doesn't eat casseroles, lasagna, etc. Hmmmmm.... He is starting to try more new things, so that's good.

Ooooh, thank you ladies! I knew you'd come through. The dish I cooked didn't have cheese but other than that, is very similar to some of the recipes you mentioned.

I was looking for something simple that my ds15 with Aspergers is willing to try. He doesn't eat anything that is mixed together. Seriously. We stopped making casseroles and cook all foods separately. Well, except for meatloaf. DH and I refuse to give that up so we cook a plain chicken breast for ds on those nights. I told my son that I wanted him to help me make the rice and chicken dish so he can see the ingredients and then he can try it. He's willing so I am going to do that this week. Yay! (But he hates cheese, so that is out.)

You never have to cook rice or pasta that you are going to bake in the oven. I never cook macaroni for my Mac and Cheese, or the whole wheat pasta in my Salmon casserole, etc.

I am definitely trying some of these out. Thank you so much all!

I have been looking for casserole recipes that use uncooked rice; if I cook rice, the kids eat it all!

Saute some onions in butter (garlic, too, if you like). Add some flour, salt, pepper and lots of PAPRIKA, lol. Oh and a can of chicken broth.

Then pour that into a large baking dish. Add your uncooked rice and then place your chicken pieces on top. Season your chicken pieces, too, with salt, pepper and paprika.

It's really good. I am no longer allowed to make chicken and rice because everyone in the family prefers my husband's, including me, lol.

This sounds good. I want to try it tomorrow. How much rice does he use with a can of chicken broth?

He uses one of our small coffee cups...let me go measure for you....ok, it's 1 cup of uncooked rice. Let me know how you like it :)

This sounds good. I want to try it tomorrow. How much rice does he use with a can of chicken broth?

This recipe is delicious. Tried it tonight and my family loved it. Thanks for sharing!