Menu

What is your favorite spelling?

VaKim

I have been using SWR with my 9yo dd, and quite frankly, I am just tired of the time it takes. I suppose she is an average speller. I'd really like to have some time to do more dictation and copywork with her, but am not really confident enough at this point to only use those methods alone for spelling. I'd really like to have a workbook program so she can just do a page a day, and get in all the other extra "goodies" that usually come in spelling workbooks.

I'd like to have something that will not conflict with the rules we have learned in SWR if possible. What is your favorite spelling workbook that would fit these requirements? BJU, Spelling Workout, something else??

Thanks for any suggestions you can give! :)

We like Evan Moor's Building Spelling Skills Daily series. Another good one, similar to SWR but MUCH simpler and easier to use is All About Spelling.

We have tried in the past: Spelling WorkOut, Spelling Power, Calvert School's Spelling CDs, Apples and Pears (a British program), Logos School's The Grammar of Spelling, Sequential Spelling, and All About Spelling.

I don't know if this will help any or not. I'd love to find what you're asking for as well, but so far I haven't. I'm still using SWR, but I've decided to "streamline" it a bit. (Actually we're not doing it at all right now - taking a summer break). But, this is what we *were* doing. Reviewing phonograms and rules (not necessarily every day). Dictating the word lists. Dictating 2-3 sentences/ day that I made up using most of the list words. I only had him do an enrichment if I liked the worksheet out of the "My Wise Grammar" book. (Let me know if you don't know what that is). And of course he wrote 2 original sentences with list words sometime during the week.

So as far as those "extra goodies" that usually come in spelling workbooks I've decided to rely on First Language Lessons to make sure we don't miss those. In my mind, these things are *sometimes* in the SWR enrichments, but what if I don't choose the right variety of enrichments? How do I know we're not letting something slip through the cracks? So, I rely on FLL. We started book 3 this fall and will finish (hopefully) by Christmas and start FLL4. We have had practice with making words plural - when to drop y, etc. Some of the rules are worded differently in FLL, but I have just "inserted" the wording for the SWR rule in my FLL book. So far, nothing terribly contradictory.

The other thing I did to make my life a bit easier was order the Dictation Resource book that goes with "Spelling Plus." I haven't gotten it yet, but thought it would help me on days when I can't come up with a decent dictation sentence on my own ;).

So to summarize - I'm basically dictating words and sentences for SWR and relying on FLL3 for other "Language Arts" needs.

Let me know if you find a workbook that works without contradicting SWR!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I had the first level of AAS, and never used it because dd was already beyond it at the time, and it was the only level out. Well, now she is also beyond the 4th level, from looking at the website. Or at least so close to it, I'd not want to buy it.

As for SWR, I already don't do all that the book calls for. We go over the cards about once a week. I dictate the list, with markings, the first day, and follow with a quiz. Then, the other days, she works on worksheets that I make myself (I actually find this part fun, lol.) Then on Friday, I test her with the words in sentences that I make up. This still takes a lot of time though.

We do use R&S for grammar, so maybe I don't really need those spelling "goodies" at all?? But then, I like to have the rules and patterns reinforced somehow, and that just wouldn't happen with just dictation.

Lynn, please post your thoughts about that dictation book when you get it! I've had my eye on it for a couple weeks now, wondering if it would be worth getting since it says it only goes to 6th grade. Thanks again, y'all!

I'd really like to have some time to do more dictation and copywork with her, but am not really confident enough at this point to only use those methods alone for spelling.

You may want to look at Spelling Wisdom (from Simply Charlotte Mason). I'm planning to start it w/ my dd (just turned 10yo) for the upcoming school year. I really like the way it uses prepared dictation for studying spelling.

If you look at the sample pages, it tells all the exact steps on how to use prepared dictation.

I don't know anything about SWR, so I'm not sure how well (or not) this program would tie into your previous work.

You may want to look at Spelling Wisdom (from Simply Charlotte Mason). I'm planning to start it w/ my dd (just turned 10yo) for the upcoming school year. I really like the way it uses prepared dictation for studying spelling.

If you look at the sample pages, it tells all the exact steps on how to use prepared dictation.

I don't know anything about SWR, so I'm not sure how well (or not) this program would tie into your previous work.

I actually have the Spelling Wisdom level 3 for my oldest, and have been thinking about getting one of the other levels for my youngest. But I am just not confident that this is enough for spelling. Not yet, anyway. :)

Which level did you get for your dd? I can't figure out whether to go with 1st or 2nd since they both include 5th grade level.

Which level did you get for your dd? I can't figure out whether to go with 1st or 2nd since they both include 5th grade level.

After looking through them in person at a convention, I went w/ level 1 for our upcoming 5th grade year. It's easy enough at the beginning, but definitely gets meatier & hard enough part way through the book. I decided I'd rather start easier while we learn the habit of doing dication (which is new for us). I'll be able to use level 1 again also, because I also have a rising 2nd grader.

hmm, I think I have your answer:

How to Spell wkbks with How to Teach Spelling teachers guide !

• This is based on the same Orton Gillingham research that SWR is based on so the rules and phonograms are very similar. (although this does have some sight words to learn)
  • They do a workbook page or a few pages for the current lesson and then at the bottom of the wkbk pg it tells you where in the TE to look for the dictation! There is plenty of dictation to use. I tend to dictate some of the words orally till I think my dc basically had it down. Then there are plenty of phrases that can be dictated. (I tend to skip these). Then there are lots of sentences to be dictated. We tend to do just a few a day till they are all done. The dictation is thus focused on the current lesson AND brings in review of past lessons. When my kids get something wrong we just go over the rules and phonograms and they copy it a few times. done. I know they will get it again so I'm not too worried.

hth

hmm, I think I have your answer:

How to Spell wkbks with How to Teach Spelling teachers guide !

• This is based on the same Orton Gillingham research that SWR is based on so the rules and phonograms are very similar. (although this does have some sight words to learn)

• They do a workbook page or a few pages for the current lesson and then at the bottom of the wkbk pg it tells you where in the TE to look for the dictation! There is plenty of dictation to use. I tend to dictate some of the words orally till I think my dc basically had it down. Then there are plenty of phrases that can be dictated. (I tend to skip these). Then there are lots of sentences to be dictated. We tend to do just a few a day till they are all done. The dictation is thus focused on the current lesson AND brings in review of past lessons. When my kids get something wrong we just go over the rules and phonograms and they copy it a few times. done. I know they will get it again so I'm not too worried.

hth

Oh goodness! Not another thing that sounds good! LOL. Thanks. I'll check this out too.

I just purchased A Reason for Spelling 3 for my soon to be 5th grader who does not spell well. It looks really good. The TM is a must have with this program.

My dd is using R&S Spelling 3. I love this program. If my son wasn't struggling so much I would have had him use R&S too. But since he does I don't want him to think he is "behind" so I use two different spelling programs.

Phonics Pathway is another spelling program and I am using it with my 2nd grader.

HTH :001_smile:

How to Spell?

Website link please?

...for the How to Spell series by EPS.

I have the entire set, but have found the teacher's guide How to Teach Spelling to be the most useful. I used it to teach myself the spelling rules, and have my kids use Spelling Workout. I try to make sure they're learning the rules as they work through the SWO lessons, not just the words in the word lists. How to Teach Spelling helped me see the forest for the trees.

A couple of years ago I tried implementing the How to Spell program, but came back to SWO as it's easier for me to use (I wasn't able to be consistent with How to Spell).

HTH!

We have loved Simply Spelling (Shoelace Books) and will begin our second year soon.

It incorporates beautiful Bible verses, poetry, literature, poetry, and famous quotes through copywork and dictation . The child also focuses each day on a few certain words taken out of the writing, noticing the syllabication and/or patterns.

I asked my 11yo ds if he wanted to continue with it this next year and his answer was an emphatic, "Yes!"

And it's budget-friendly in that it's a non-consumable for 3rd-12th grades for around $35 or $40. (Plus shipping of course.)

One of our favorites this year!

I like SWR too, but we are switching this year to a workbook approach for most of the kids so I can concentrate on working with my dyslexic son. The other kids will be using Rod & Staff spelling instead. We might go back to SWR in the future as it is a wonderful program.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I like R&S, but some of their rules annoy me after using SWR. The same goes with Simply Spelling. I think SWR has made me a spelling rule snob. :lol:

I have ordered that dictation guide for Spelling Plus, and will probably also get the Spelling Wisdom first book as well, and try just that for a while. If I see it isn't working, I can always go back to SWR, I suppose. We are just tired of all the marking and the time it takes to do that. At least for now. :)

VAKim,

I can relate to your experience(s) with SWR. I used it with my oldest from mid-K through 4th and with my youngest from K-2nd. My youngest is a natural speller, has the rules downpat; spelling is no problem.

My oldest, a rising 6th grader, spells at about fifth grade, sixth month. I have debated about going back to SWR with her, but just don't think we're quite ready...again.

You're right, SWR turns you into a spelling snob - you now understand the reasons behind words, you know the rules and all the sounds those pesky phonograms can make, which makes it really tough to find something that compares.

All About Spelling is definitely for youngers, at least it was the last time I looked, and there really isn't anything else that teaches rules quite the same way as SWR.

I'm in the same spelling ship you are, so far as trying to figure out what to do without the painful time investment of SWR. I'm under the conviction that to really get the most out of SWR, you have to really work with those words after you've dictated them, particularly if you have an average or below average speller. It hasn't been good enough for us to just dictate words/sentences and let it go at that. At least not for my older.

I do like Megawords from EPS. I've found, so far, that the rules are not so different from SWR and they also teach syllabication, like SWR. My girls have done just as well with this program as SWR, although I'm very, very happy we learned the rules and phonograms with SWR, b/c we fall back on them often, and I'm sure the SWR foundation has given them a "leg-up".

Maybe you could try Megwords and just quizzing the rules and phonograms 2 or 3 times a week. Scholastic also puts out a book called 25 Fun Spelling Games? I've used that in the past and it was a fun program to add to the mix for extra practice.

Sorry this got so long. Good luck.

W

VAKim,

I can relate to your experience(s) with SWR. I used it with my oldest from mid-K through 4th and with my youngest from K-2nd. My youngest is a natural speller, has the rules downpat; spelling is no problem.

My oldest, a rising 6th grader, spells at about fifth grade, sixth month. I have debated about going back to SWR with her, but just don't think we're quite ready...again.

You're right, SWR turns you into a spelling snob - you now understand the reasons behind words, you know the rules and all the sounds those pesky phonograms can make, which makes it really tough to find something that compares.

All About Spelling is definitely for youngers, at least it was the last time I looked, and there really isn't anything else that teaches rules quite the same way as SWR.

I'm in the same spelling ship you are, so far as trying to figure out what to do without the painful time investment of SWR. I'm under the conviction that to really get the most out of SWR, you have to really work with those words after you've dictated them, particularly if you have an average or below average speller. It hasn't been good enough for us to just dictate words/sentences and let it go at that. At least not for my older.

I do like Megawords from EPS. I've found, so far, that the rules are not so different from SWR and they also teach syllabication, like SWR. My girls have done just as well with this program as SWR, although I'm very, very happy we learned the rules and phonograms with SWR, b/c we fall back on them often, and I'm sure the SWR foundation has given them a "leg-up".

Maybe you could try Megwords and just quizzing the rules and phonograms 2 or 3 times a week. Scholastic also puts out a book called 25 Fun Spelling Games? I've used that in the past and it was a fun program to add to the mix for extra practice.

Sorry this got so long. Good luck.

W

I actually considered Megawords, because I already use it with my oldest and do like it. I'm still liable to end up using it, but probably not for another year for my youngest.

Hope nobody looks through this thread and sees how many things I use, or have used. They might somehow get the idea that I am one of those curriculum-junkie people or something. :D

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has had this same problem though. :)

I have used SWO for 6 years now and the boys spell very well.

However, I think the thing that helped them the most with the word lists was alphabetizing the list each week.

It makes them stop and examine how the spellings relate to each other and it helps with long term memory of the list words.

We have loved Simply Spelling (Shoelace Books) and will begin our second year soon.

It incorporates beautiful Bible verses, poetry, literature, poetry, and famous quotes through copywork and dictation . The child also focuses each day on a few certain words taken out of the writing, noticing the syllabication and/or patterns.

I asked my 11yo ds if he wanted to continue with it this next year and his answer was an emphatic, "Yes!"

And it's budget-friendly in that it's a non-consumable for 3rd-12th grades for around $35 or $40. (Plus shipping of course.)

One of our favorites this year!

I'm looking at this now! Thanks for this quick insight or review. We have Natural Speller and my children are way ahead of the spelling words on their level, two levels higher actually. NS only goes to grade 8 so I would have to purchase something else soon so I have been looking at this for the upcoming year now. Thanks!

We have tried a lot of things over the years... with our advanced speller and our challenged speller. What is really working well for us right now is using Phonetic Zoo from the I.E.W. folks along with espindle.org. I put the Phonetic Zoo words in her espindle word list and add them again if I want her to review the words. I also add the other levels of Phonetic Zoo, so she is getting a lot of practice with whatever rule we are studying. She is doing a summer program with Orton-Gillingham multisensory trained teachers and has gone from several years below grade level (last years test) to above her grade level (per this years test). I will know more at the end of the week, but so far this is working great!

I will look at some of the other programs for a weekly change of pace...

Sometimes it takes some effort to find what works best for a particular child! :001_smile:

TFJ