Menu

MOEMS?

shukriyya

Wondering the same thing. I have two MOEMS books but not the CWPs. My sense is that most of them are quite different - more puzzle-ish - without a lot of overlap.

:lurk5:

Also, not to hijack, but if anyone knows of problem sources like these that could be copied for school worksheets - as in, for an actual school - but without copyright issues, please post! (besides MEP, though that's a start :001_smile:)

Thanks for responding. I have two CWPs but no MOEMS ;) Would you mind giving a brief outline of one of the problems in MOEMS for comparison's sake?

I'm kind of surprised more folks aren't using these as I imagine that they are probably quite rigorous since they're being promoted on the AOPs website.

To answer your question about problem sources, if you do a search for your area's math olympiad you'll find the problems plus solutions from past years in a downloadable form.

Anyone else? :)

Do you mean the Creative Problem Solving book or the Math Olympiad book? the one you linked is just contest problems and solutions (which it sounds like you are already familiar with, if you found them on-line - I'm still searching for that...). The Creative Problem Solving book, on the other hand, helps you teach actual problem-solving strategies.

Edited by wapiti

I have the Creative Problem Solving book. Are the other books very different? I love the CPS book. When we are done with it I plan to get the others.

The other books are just problems with solutions, organized by contest, not topic. I have Vol. 1, which does include appendices with helpful hints/lists of concepts, but it doesn't have the detailed teaching of major problem-solving strategies that are in CPS. I am so reluctant to lend it out because I just got it :tongue_smilie:

if anyone knows of problem sources like these that could be copied for school worksheets - as in, for an actual school - but without copyright issues, please post

Sample questions from SMO and NMOPS.

The books with past papers and solutions are very affordable.

Tooooo many acronyms for my poor brain :001_huh: :lol:

Never heard of MOEMS, looking at it, it looks rather boring (yeah....I need some flashy-ness :tongue_smilie: ) I'd love to hear what others think comparing the "inside" of the two. I'm pretty bad that anytime I see a teacher on the cover or a classroom environment, I tend to bypass it.

Definitely :bigear: as I might pin it for looking at later.

Sample questions from SMO and NMOPS.

The books with past papers and solutions are very affordable.

Thanks, Nansk!

Tooooo many acronyms for my poor brain :001_huh: :lol:

Never heard of MOEMS, looking at it, it looks rather boring (yeah....I need some flashy-ness :tongue_smilie: ) I'd love to hear what others think comparing the "inside" of the two. I'm pretty bad that anytime I see a teacher on the cover or a classroom environment, I tend to bypass it.

MOEMS = Math Olympiads for Elementary and Middle School, a math contest (two divisions, grades 4-6 and 6-8)

These books are not a math curriculum. They are contest-prep materials that teach problem-solving strategies and contain problems.There are not very many sources of problem-solving materials at the elementary level, or at least not what I happen to be looking for at the moment.

It's all about the problem-solving ;). (To paraphrase Rusczyk, "Problem-solving is a little thing you do on the third Friday of the month if you have time, and in my world, it's the whole game. This is the goal of education, how to solve new problems." "Solving hard problems is way more important than using more advanced tools").

I have CWP (some older editions and some newer editions) and one of the MOEMS books (but not the one you linked to). The problems are quite different. I think the MOEMS problems are more interesting and varied. The particular one I have also has a lot of step by step instructions for how to solve problems using different approaches. CWP is mostly about using the bar diagram method (or whatever it is called). And that's not a bad method, but it's one method. I find the language/wording of some of the CWP problems to sometimes be odd/confusing. I'm not quite sure why the language trips me up though.

Why have you not told me about these books? Don't you know I want everything you use? :tongue_smilie:

• 3 weeks later...

If you are looking for contest problems for practice, I recommend vol. 2. In that book, the tests are divided into elementary and middle school. In vol. 1 there are a bunch of exams, but it isn't clear which grade level they are.

The other books are just problems with solutions, organized by contest, not topic. I have Vol. 1, which does include appendices with helpful hints/lists of concepts, but it doesn't have the detailed teaching of major problem-solving strategies that are in CPS. I am so reluctant to lend it out because I just got it :tongue_smilie:

If you are looking for contest problems for practice, I recommend vol. 2. In that book, the tests are divided into elementary and middle school. In vol. 1 there are a bunch of exams, but it isn't clear which grade level they are.

Thanks! So, both levels are in book 2? I was under the opposite impression, but yeah, I didn't see any levels marked inside book 1 (I don't have book 2, and I lent book 1 out so I can't check it right now). By any chance can you comment on how much of it is for Division E?

Thanks! So, both levels are in book 2? I was under the opposite impression, but yeah, I didn't see any levels marked inside book 1 (I don't have book 2, and I lent book 1 out so I can't check it right now). By any chance can you comment on how much of it is for Division E?

For elementary there are 10 years worth of exams (5 exams per year) so plenty to keep you busy!

In the middle school section there are 7 years of exams.

I like having the stratification of levels of difficulty. I regret buying all three books (vol. 1, vol. 2, and Creative Problem Solving...I think you got a discount if ordered all three at once!). Now wish I had only purchased vol. 2 since that's the only book we ever use.

BTW, if you register a team at moems, you also receive a few of the most recent exams for practice as well.

For elementary there are 10 years worth of exams (5 exams per year) so plenty to keep you busy!

In the middle school section there are 7 years of exams.

I like having the stratification of levels of difficulty. I regret buying all three books (vol. 1, vol. 2, and Creative Problem Solving...I think you got a discount if ordered all three at once!). Now wish I had only purchased vol. 2 since that's the only book we ever use.

BTW, if you register a team at moems, you also receive a few of the most recent exams for practice as well.

Thanks! This is very helpful!! Looks like I need to order book 2...

Also, not to hijack, but if anyone knows of problem sources like these that could be copied for school worksheets - as in, for an actual school - but without copyright issues, please post! (besides MEP, though that's a start :001_smile:)

Have you seen CIMT's other stuff?

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/menus/resources.htm

And how about these -- new problems every month, ooh.

http://nrich.maths.org/public/