Menu

Which beginning reader series is your favorite?

Tonia

Which reading series is your favorite?  

1. 1. Which reading series is your favorite?

• Pathway Readers
    • Christian Light Reading
    • Christian Liberty Nature Readers
    • Rod and Staff Bible Nurture and Reader Series
    • Other

Of the books in print, I like Elson Readers. Out of print I like Baldwin Readers and Stepping Stones to Literature. I purchased mine on Ebay.

How well does your k4 read? I am typesetting the two readers above (level 2) into one book and it will be available free on Lulu for you to download and print or you'll be about to buy it at cost. I'm also including copy work. It's just something I'm doing for myself and friends. Should be ready mid July.

Of the books in print, I like Elson Readers. Out of print I like Baldwin Readers and Stepping Stones to Literature. I purchased mine on Ebay.

How well does your k4 read? I am typesetting the two readers above (level 2) into one book and it will be available free on Lulu for you to download and print or you'll be about to buy it at cost. I'm also including copy work. It's just something I'm doing for myself and friends. Should be ready mid July.

I hadn't looked at Elson readers (I'll have to go check them out - like I need something else to add to my list :lol: )

My dd is reading the first book in the Pathway Readers series - the preprimer First Steps, so I'm shopping around to see what else she might enjoy reading in the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work - will you post it on the boards when it is ready?

My dd and I read through the Elson 2nd grade reader last year. I am planning on reading through the 3rd grade one this year. I found them on books.google.com. We read most of the stories from the computer, but I did print some for when we were away from the computer.

Jan

Take a look at Sonlight's 1st grade readers. When you're about half way through Days Go By, your dd will be able to read Cat in the Hat, Put Me in the Zoo and Little Bear without too much trouble. Once you get into More Days Go By, you can try Henry and Mudge, Mr. Putter and Tabby and Poppleton.

My dd really enjoys the Christian Light series, my ds like Pathway, I love the R&S Bible Readers.

You could use the Bible readers as Bible time and the Christian Light Nature series for Science.

They are all good choices and we have enjoyed them all. You can't go wrong with whichever you choose;)

Blessings,

We also enjoyed the first grade Rod and Staff Bible readers and are still reading the Christian Liberty Press science ones, we are on the 3rd one. (again)

We use CLE reading which uses the Pathways readers. I am not a huge fan but they are effective in this course and the kids like them.

I have picked up old readers that we dearly loved and the little one still reads. One is called By The Roadside from the Mother Nature series put out by Row, Peterson and Company. The thing that amazes me about it is in the preface, in 1928, it bemoans the dearth of quality children's literature!

I always think of Karenciavo when I find my "treasures". ;)

The ones I have and love are called the American Language Series (Fun in the Sun, Scamp and Tramp, Soft and White, Sounds of the Sea, At the Farm and On the Trail). They were out of print for awhile but Chilren's Books has brought them back (I don't know if they've changed them or not).

http://www.homeschooldiscountproducts.com/servlet/Categories?category=American+Language+Series

There are accompanying phonics workbooks, but I never used them.

I chose CLP for my son Nathan. He likes reading, and he was turned off by the Pathway readers from the start. He said they were babyish. He also loves science, so these were perfect for him.

I tried them on my son Ben, and he loves them. We skipped the first book because it was super easy, but when he found out there was a book previous to the other two he read, he asked to read it too. He loves the story.

So, your chidren's interests can play a part in it too. I also like that fact that I get different stories read to me each day. I like the variety.

Call me crazy, but I've liked the Bob Jones K Readers. The first child did BJU K - the whole pkg. The 2nd child just did Explode the Code with the BJU K readers. I tried Bob Books and Sonlight's K books, but fell back on the BJU readers. By book 3 of ETC and around reader # 20, the lessons no longer coorespond (ETC teaches silent e before ch/th/sh, while BJU teaches ch/th/sh before silent e, LOL). But we managed through - I just taught to the BJU readers so that we could keep reading them, and now we're plugging away through ETC 3. Now, dd is starting to be able to figure out other books, like Hop on Pop, Where's My Mother?, and things like that. I won't say BJU Readers are a miracle cure for reading, because my 1st born has just been much slower at reading than my 2nd born, and my 1st born resisted any type of reader, whereas my 2nd born is jumping into reading head first...but, I like the colorful BJU K readers anyhow:) I'm planning on going ahead with BJU 1st grade in the fall with my 2nd born.

My ds loved the Nora Gaydos readers along with the Explode the Code series of workbooks.

Blessings,

My ds loved the Gaydos sets too. Our books came with little stickers. I think we got 4 per book. He really didn't like to reread (practice!) the books. But, if he got a sticker every time he read the book, he would do it.

Holly