Menu

Has anyone had something like this happen?

I had to get something out of the car. The car was parked outside on the driveway. Everything looked normal. I opened the driver's door, got what I wanted and closed the door. The passenger door behind the door I had closed, shattered. Nothing had hit it. There was no ding on the glass. No reason that I know of for it to shatter. Fortunately no one was sitting in the car. We've just spent the last 45 min. cleaning it all up and taping up the window.

Something like this happened to me, but I realized that there was a possible reason for it. The day before eldest had taken her bike to dance class, but it came a flood while she was there. So, I went to pick her up, and she put her bike in the back of my truck. I think she hit the window and cracked it, but not enough for me to notice until the next day in the daylight.

ME!!!! This happened to me last month. I retrieved something out of the front passenger side of my van, closed the door, and the glass shattered on the driver's side sliding door. I was completely stunned. There must be a reason why it happened, but I am still bewildered.

I cleaned up the glass shards on the driveway, and the repair people cleaned the inside of the van. I am so very thankful that none of the kids were in the van. At least four of their seats were within range of glass shards, and the driver's seat was covered as well.

I also had this experience a few months ago. I was driving and my vans rear window just exploded for no apparent reason. Thankfully my kids were not with me at the time either. It was a big mess, and very scary. I googled it and found many others have had this experience. The prevailing theory seemed to be a defect in the glass if I remember correctly.