Menu

Our puppy is in surgery.... :(

UPDATE!

We were able to bring him home today! He's pretty out of it, he just wants to sleep. And he looks like a patchwork quilt! But the dr. said that he has no doubt that he will heal up nicely, even if it means another surgery. They it was very gnarly, and that he was in surgery for quite a while- they took off some skin that looked like it was already dead/dying, and pieced the rest of it back together. I can't say enough about the vet's office. They've been amazing. And the bill.... drum roll please... only $639! That included neutering, too. I was very relieved- it was much less than I was thinking and we have the cash for that amount. :) We're so thankful to have him home! Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers! I have 5 very happy kids here. :)

PS. I included some pictures of his leg... don't click if you're squeamish!

:sad:

Our poor little pup injured himself badly and is in surgery as we speak. He was running toward the house and scraped past an exposed bolt on the trampoline, which essentially filleted the skin off of his entire back thigh. It left an area of the muscle the size of my hand exposed- the skin just peeled back completely. I grabbed him, covered it with a dishtowel, got 4 sobbing kids in the car (my oldest was just getting out of school) and rushed him to the vet. I had to drive with my knees while holding the bleeding puppy in my lap, and calling the vet to let them know we were on the way and my son's school to tell them I'd be late picking him up. They are sewing him back together and said that thankfully his muscle wasn't injured. He should be okay and we're hoping to hear from the vet soon saying he's out of surgery. It's been about 1.5 hours since we got him to the vet.

*sigh* And of course my husband is out of town. I really need a drink.

This is our little guy. He's 5 months old. Any prayers are appreciated, we're all a bit upset at the moment.

Edited by Coffeetime

Just heard from the vet tech... she said the vet would call tonight if he could or in the AM. She seemed very non-committal about his status. :( She said that he was at a higher risk for his skin dying because he lacerated it against the blood flow (?)... or something. They told me from the get-go that this might be a two surgery thing because of that risk... so I'm not sure if that's what she was saying or if she was saying he might not make it. I asked if he was okay and she was kind of like "Well....I think so.... we'll have to wait and see how he does." If I had been thinking more clearly I would have asked her to clarify what she was talking about. I'm just so sad and upset. This happened so quickly! And now I don't know if I need to be preparing the kids for him not making it (which would be heartbreaking- we've already lost one dog this year that we had to re-home). And on top of it all, I don't know how we're going to pay for all of this. I don't even know what to expect the bill to be.

Ugh, what an awful day.

:grouphug: and prayers.

http://www.carecredit.com/

We had to apply with care credit. They charge no interest if you pay it off in a set amount of time. The care credit care we got works for vets and dentist (what a combo). But it is a great option if you don't have the cash on hand.

Praying for your puppy. Our dds would be devastated if something happened to our pugs. Hoping for good, better news in the morning.

Oh, poor sweet little cutie! What an ADORABLE pup.

It is a really good sign that the muscle was not affected.

As far as cost, since it is after hours I am assuming you took him to an emergency vet? I am so sorry, but the price is going to be pretty big. Still, you had no other option. Clearly this is not something that could wait until morning.

My greyhound recently went out at night to go to the bathroom. He was out for about a minute or two when I noticed him back at the deck. When he laid down I noticed that one of his toes was completely sideways and stabbing into the digit next to it. I could not get the toes to budge so off I went to the emergency vet. When I took him out of the back of my car I could not believe what I was looking at. His back paw was completely stripped of all skin, flesh, etc. Worse yet, it wasn't bleeding. Not bleeding is a dangerous sign indicating the skin could be dying. I also noticed puncture wounds on his chest. The chest had a few stitches, as did the toe with the nail that stabbed through the other digit. I had to leave him over night so they could sew the back paw back together. That bill cost $1000 but it didn't include bandage changes, tissue checks, or the removal of stitches. I think the total was somewhere around $1250.

I hate to say it but I really think you're looking at a bill well over $1000. Please do not refuse pain meds. They will be expensive but your puppy will need them.

I'm certainly no vet, but I would be very surprised if your puppy didn't make it. I think we were told there was some sort of patch they could put on to grow new skin in an area like the thigh but it wouldn't work on the paw. To be honest, though, it was around midnight and I was so stressed out and tired that I don't remember all the details. hopefully vettech2 (do I have that right?) will see this and respond.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:Please keep us posted. I will be thinking about this all night.

One other thing. It is not fair for you to have to wait all night. Call back the vet to see if they can call you back TONIGHT. At the very least get answers to your questions so that you don't have to wonder all night.

It is so hard for the kids. I know!!!:grouphug:

Edited by Denisemomof4

Oh, poor sweet little cutie! What an ADORABLE pup.

It is a really good sign that the muscle was not affected.

As far as cost, since it is after hours I am assuming you took him to an emergency vet? I am so sorry, but the price is going to be pretty hig. Still, you had no other option. Clearly this is not something that could wait until morning.

My greyhound recently went out at night to go t the bathroom. He was out for about a miute or two when I noticed him back at the deck. When he laid down I noticed that one of his toes was compketely sideways and stabbing into the digit next to it. I could not get the toes to budge so off I went to the emergency vet. When I took him out of the back of my car I cold not believe what I was looking at. His back paw was completely stripped of all skin, flesh, etc. Worse yet, it wasn't bleeding. Not bleeding is a dangerous sign indicating the skin could be dying. I also noticed puncture wounds on his chest. The chest had a few stitches, as did the toe with the nail that stabbed through the other digit. I had to leave him over night so they could sew the back paw back together. That bill cost $1000 but it didn't include bandage changes, tissue checks, or the removal of stitches. I think the total was somewhere around $1250.

I hate to say it but I really think you're looking at a bill well over $1000. Please do not refuse pain meds. They will be expensive but your puppy will need them.

I'm certainly no vet, but I would be ver surprised if your puppy didn't make it. I think we were told there was some sort of patch they could put on to grow new skin in an area like the thigh but it wouldn't work on the paw. To be honest, though, it was around midnight and I was so stressed out and tired that I don't remember all the dtails. hopefully vettech2 (do I have that right?) will see this and respond.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:Please keep us posted. I will be thinking about this all night.

One other thing. It is not fair for you to have to wait all night. Call back the vet to see if they can call you back TONIGHT? At the very least get answers to your questions so that you don't have to wonder all night.

It is so hard for the kids. I know!!!:grouphug:

Oh, how terrible for your dog! :( That sounds very much like what happened to our guy- his whole thigh was just... skinless. There was blood though- not a ton but enough that I had to just throw away the towel I had him in. I'm so glad the little ones didn't see the wound, it was really grisly- only my dd8 saw it since she was the one who grabbed the towel for me. She also got all the little ones in the car for me- she's such a great kid.

It actually happened at about 3pm our time- so I was able to take him to his regular vet, thankfully!! They took him back right away- I had him at the vet literally within 15 minutes of the accident. I absolutely LOVE his vet office- they really work to keep costs down while providing wonderful, loving care. They went ahead and did his neutering while he was under so they wouldn't have to do surgery again. And yes, he's on morphine and antibiotics. There's no way I would refuse pain meds- he's one of the family to us! :)

I agree, I don't want to wait overnight to find out the details. But I know that our little guy pushed back their appointments and the vet is way behind for the day.

$1200 doesn't sound too terrible- that's better than I was thinking! The carecredit sounds like a great thing- I will look into it.

Thank you, all of you, so much for your prayers and good thoughts! The kids and I so appreciate it! This has been a yucky day. :(

:grouphug: You did a great job getting him in.

I'll second that! WOW--- poor boy! How painful for ALL involved! Im so glad he'll be okay. Maybe time to get some pipe insulation and cover up those bolts!

Lots of HUGS! :grouphug::grouphug:

astrid

Just heard from the vet tech... she said the vet would call tonight if he could or in the AM. She seemed very non-committal about his status. :( She said that he was at a higher risk for his skin dying because he lacerated it against the blood flow (?)... or something. They told me from the get-go that this might be a two surgery thing because of that risk... so I'm not sure if that's what she was saying or if she was saying he might not make it. I asked if he was okay and she was kind of like "Well....I think so.... we'll have to wait and see how he does." If I had been thinking more clearly I would have asked her to clarify what she was talking about. I'm just so sad and upset. This happened so quickly! And now I don't know if I need to be preparing the kids for him not making it (which would be heartbreaking- we've already lost one dog this year that we had to re-home). And on top of it all, I don't know how we're going to pay for all of this. I don't even know what to expect the bill to be.

Ugh, what an awful day.

It'll be okay--- really. Sending love and hugs your way!

astrid

P.S. CareCredit--- it's saved us more than once!

Maybe time to get some pipe insulation and cover up those bolts!

Yes! When we put it up over the summer we put on those plastic bold covers... but apparently they fell off over the winter with all the snow and ice. :glare: The first thing I did when we got home and I figured out what happened was to take some electrical tape to the bolt ends.

:grouphug: Why do these kind of things always happen when hubby is out of town?

Isn't that the truth? If ever anything bad happens it's when he's gone. And the worst part is that he's out of the country so I can't even talk to him on the phone! :(

It'll be okay--- really. Sending love and hugs your way!

astrid

Thank you for saying that- I so hope you're right!!

Edited by Coffeetime
typo

YEAH!!!! What a relief. I woke up thinking about you!

Thank you!! :) We're so happy he's home!

That is awesome news!!!! :001_smile:

If you're interested' date=' a quick way to cover any exposed bolts is to take a swimming noodle, slit it, and then duct tape it in place. You can do the all the legs in case he runs into them again. :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

That's a great idea- but I think he might just chew the swimming noodle. :tongue_smilie: I did take some electrical tape to all of the exposed bolt ends though! :)

Oh boy-- I'm so glad to hear this update! I have been wondering about the little guy all day--- so happy he's home. The "Frankenstein" look will be gone in no time and he'll be romping again soon.

And I cannot BELIEVE the bill! That's awesome!

astrid