Menu

Free online course from Princeton and other top schools! WOW!!! I am so excited!!!

Halcyon

I just finished a session of Algorithms though this site (taught by a Stanford prof). If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

The basics, though --

Although it took a while for our class to start, we rolled along well during it. Until the 5th (last) week.... then some of the lectures were a couple days delayed, and so was the final exam. Assignment deadlines got pushed back by a week.

The format for this class was 2-3 hours of required video lectures a week, with occasional (non-graded) quizes interspersed so you could check that you understood as the lecture progressed. There were some optional videos as well -- either to bring you up to speed in a sub-area if needed or to add additional content beyond the typical scope of the class.

Each week there was a multiple-choice problem set (worth 8 points) and a programming assignment (worth 6 points). These were quite challenging. But you had multiple chances to attempt each (between 2 and 5, depending), and the best score was what counted.

The final exam was 30 multiple choice questions. This makes a total of 100 points; 70 or more earns a certificate of completion.

There were forums that you could go to to ask questions of fellow students, and the professor and TAs would occasionally chime in as well.

I was able to keep up with the class, but it definitely required effort on my part. I dedicated a couple hours most evenings to it for 5 weeks. But I did earn the certificate at the end!!! :D

I was very pleased with the whole experience and definitely recommend the class that I took.

Edited by jenfl

I havent seen this mentioned here yet....https://www.coursera.org/ will be offering courses from top university professors...this looks SO amazing!! Courses in Calculus, World History, Greek Myths.....I am SO taking the world history and the greek myths courses....and Maybe the Cryptography course....and Game Theory.....and Pharmacology. Woot woot!! Who else wants to take some courses with me??

Eta: the Logic course looks great too!

I just joined the history of the world class starting in September. I am very excited.

I'm not interested in a certificate, or what grade a fellow student would give on an essay, but on my own personal development so I can go in with my eyes open and hopefully learn something. Thanks for the background information Janice.

:iagree:

Signed up for mythology for now.

The logic class has started and I am enjoying it so far. I have already learned quite a bit. The professor is sitting in front of a computer and it obviously reading a script which I don't particularly like but it works.

I am a little worried about how tech-y this class is going to get.