Menu

What ages for Fallacy Detective?

11 is great. 9 might be fine. My dh was 10, 11, 12 when he did FD. Yes, three times. He loved it.

It was mostly independent which is RARE for him for anything schooly.

Oh, good, I think we'll do it! Sounds like it's good to go through more times than one, too. Thanks!

At what age are they ready to get dragged into a (one-sided) agruement against abortion?

The book is not a "logic" or even "informal logic" book so much as a world-view defense book that reflects and propagates the authors' extremely conservative fundamentalist and paternalistic ideology. Know that in advance.

Bill

I think it will be fine for your whole family. It's a very gentle introduction to informal logic. You can certainly skip any examples that you don't want to discuss. FWIW, my youngest (8) was the one that remembered the names of the fallacies the best while we were reading the book and even 6 months after finishing the book still points out examples as we go through our daily lives.

At what age are they ready to get dragged into a (one-sided) agruement against abortion?

The book is not a "logic" or even "informal logic" book so much as a world-view defense book that reflects and propagates the authors' extremely conservative fundamentalist and paternalistic ideology. Know that in advance.

Bill

Bill, if you read the op's siggy you may notice that she uses Christian curriculum. Why bash her on her choices of programs? Your popping in on this thread comes across as extremely disrespectful and harassing. You have a right to your opinion on this very diverse forum, but please don't be rude about sharing your views.

Lucinda

I think it will be fine for your whole family. It's a very gentle introduction to informal logic. You can certainly skip any examples that you don't want to discuss. FWIW, my youngest (8) was the one that remembered the names of the fallacies the best while we were reading the book and even 6 months after finishing the book still points out examples as we go through our daily lives.

Same here. Dh, dd and I have enjoyed a number of lessons together. We used FD last year and part of this year and she was 11 when we began. There are some examples that were over her head and I had to explain or just skip, but the majority of the lessons were presented really well and she got a lot out of it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Bill

One might think you're saying that to have a Christian world view is illogical.

To each his own.

One might think you're saying that to have a Christian world view is illogical.

To each his own.

One might be wrong. I have read Fallacy Detective. I am aware how much (or little) this work is about its purported subject, and how much it is about advancing the authors' world-view.

Bill

Bill, if you read the op's siggy you may notice that she uses Christian curriculum. Why bash her on her choices of programs? Your popping in on this thread comes across as extremely disrespectful and harassing. You have a right to your opinion on this very diverse forum, but please don't be rude about sharing your views.

Lucinda

I am glad he posted because no one else had mentioned that this is a Christian fundamentalist book. This is helpful information and Bill's post saved me the trouble of looking further into it.

I am glad he posted because no one else had mentioned that this is a Christian fundamentalist book. This is helpful information and Bill's post saved me the trouble of looking further into it.

I agree! I have heard about this for years, but never really looked into it because I figured we were no where near ready. Well now we are. But something presenting fundamental christian as the logical side, there by everything else (aka: US!) as the illogical side would certainly not work!

Thank you Bill!

:iagree: Sadly, I've already bought it. If I'd read Bill's post first I most certainly wouldn't have done so. I think his comment is a useful warning for others who may not subscribe to these values.

Cassy

:iagree: Sadly, I've already bought it. If I'd read Bill's post first I most certainly wouldn't have done so. I think his comment is a useful warning for others who may not subscribe to these values.

Cassy

Wow, I certainly didn't get from it what Bill did. Check it out for yourself. Some of the arguments give examples from a more conservative or fundamentalist view. But they are in arguments that you are supposed to be evaluating anyway. There's also plenty of other arguments of all other kinds, given as examples as well.

I think the fundy stuff is definitely easy to skip or even formulate arguments AGAINST if you choose for practice that way. It's teaching you to both evaluate an argument, and hence to formulate solid arguments yourself. It takes a Christian side sometimes in examples, but you could just as easily use the tools to take the other side right back.

ETA, we are Christian but use mostly secular materials. I picked Fallacy Detective because of the format being so perfect for DD. It has made for great discussions as a family, about commercials and other issues. She has even called me out for using a Straw Man! I was so proud... :-)

Edited by coloradoperkins

Wow, I certainly didn't get from it what Bill did. Check it out for yourself. Some of the arguments give examples from a more conservative or fundamentalist view. But they are in arguments that you are supposed to be evaluating anyway. There's also plenty of other arguments of all other kinds, given as examples as well.

I think the fundy stuff is definitely easy to skip or even formulate arguments AGAINST if you choose for practice that way. It's teaching you to both evaluate an argument, and hence to formulate solid arguments yourself. It takes a Christian side sometimes in examples, but you could just as easily use the tools to take the other side right back.

ETA, we are Christian but use mostly secular materials. I picked Fallacy Detective because of the format being so perfect for DD. It has made for great discussions as a family, about commercials and other issues. She has even called me out for using a Straw Man! I was so proud... :-)

Both the Fallacy Detective and The Thinking Toolbox have been sitting on my book shelf for, well, about 9 months now :tongue_smilie:. Having read this thread I was about to consign them to a box of junk, but maybe I should read them through myself first :D. I probably should thank you all for finally motivating me to do something with them (that was one reason I started reading this thread in the first place).

Cassy

Edited by Cassy

Bill

Sounds like something we would like. Thanks for offering the review because it was helpful in solidifying my decision to use it. ;)

We are non-fundy, liberal Christians and have still enjoyed FD. We sometimes formulate logical arguments against the examples given in the book. We're only about half way through it but I have yet to see something over the top offensive in the book. Perhaps I need to go back and re-read, because I generally agree with Bill.