Menu

Kindergarten: HOD's LHFHG or Lots of Picture Books?

Heart_Mom

I was planning on using LHFHG for my kindergartener this fall (she'll turn 6 in August). I've never used the program, but I have used and enjoyed Beyond and Bigger with my older children.

Here's the rub: with a new baby coming and needing to teach the older children too, I'm just not sure this is the best route for her. No matter what, I'll be covering Bible, math (MUS), phonics (AAR), and handwriting (ARH). But I wonder if this year it might be better for me to just take time each day to snuggle up on the couch and read a variety of good books to her (science picture books, SL books from their younger cores, etc.). I'm thinking it might be less stressful (no schedule to get behind on!) and I think my daughter might enjoy it more ... plus my then three year old would love that too.

The thing that holds me back from doing the "reading-lots-on-the-couch" thing is that HOD incorporates so many skills within the guides that I think she would benefit from. But if I do HOD with her, there will be little if any time to read other picture books to her. (Edited to add: My idea would be to do LHFHG with her AND have time to read lots of other books, but that's just not a reality right now! She does hear lots of our chapter books read aloud, and she tends to enjoy those.)

Maybe I could start LHFHG with her in January? I don't know!!!:tongue_smilie:

Any thoughts for me?

My thought would be to just do the good books and just try to involve her in some of the history and science things the older kids are doing. If you are anything like me with a new baby I would probably be skipping most of the "extra" activities anyway. We did LHFHG and I wasn't really that impressed with it anyway (especially the science). We liked Beyond, and especially Bigger much better.

My thought would be to just do the good books and just try to involve her in some of the history and science things the older kids are doing. If you are anything like me with a new baby I would probably be skipping most of the "extra" activities anyway. We did LHFHG and I wasn't really that impressed with it anyway (especially the science).

:iagree:We tried LHFHG, but I ended up dropping it completely. We were using other programs for the 3 R's anyway. We still read the Thornton Burgess books, but did ES Intro for science and TONS of picture books/ chapter books.

Personally I just LOVE LOVE LOVE LHFHG! You can start the guide whenever you want of course. We just started it a few months ago because we didn't like what we were using before. A lot of the LHFHG is pretty much the "reading books" thing you're talking about. We read history.. then either science pages or the dramatic play (alternates days), then we do a rhyme in motion, memory verse, then phonics and math, a reason for handwriting, and then all that's left is more reading. My girls 3 & 5 both like listening to everything I read and especially LOVE the story time section they have. We're reading Peter Cottontail right now and my kids (despite the lack of pictures) LOVE it! :-) I say do what's easiest for you and your family, but at the same time it's a great program and it is really QUICK to get it all done. It doesn't take long at all and takes the guess work out of "what to do today???" And no matter how many books you read, a K'er will probably like the few little active things in the guide... At first I thought it was going to be "cheesey" for my almost 6yo but they really like the games we do for memorizing scripture. Hope this helps and good luck!!!!

I vote for LOTS OF READING! :)

Also, if you visit Ambleside Online or Simply Charlotte Mason, you can get a nice booklist for kids that age.

For my K'er this year, we'll be reading from the AO and SCM lists, doing Bible as a family, then AAR, HWOT, and MUS.

Oh... it's gonna be SO MUCH FUN!!!! :D

I'll add that I was concerned last year that my child would miss out on some vital skills if we didn't do LHFHG. In retrospect, I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. My personal inclination would be to just add books from the AO Yr 0 list to read aloud and science books on topics of interest from the library or plenty of them can be bought cheaply. Talk to your child, encourage them to talk to you, involve them as much as possible in your day - you'll and your child will be set.

I would not worry about missed skills with LHFHG. All of the skills come from the phonics box, fine motor skills box, and math box. The science does not add much at all. the history box is reading the children's Bible for 3/4 of the year. You some art projects here and there, but all of the skills gained come from the texts used in the 3 R boxes.

I vote for doing a lot of reading from books and snuggling.

I would not worry about missed skills with LHFHG. All of the skills come from the phonics box, fine motor skills box, and math box. The science does not add much at all. the history box is reading the children's Bible for 3/4 of the year. You some art projects here and there, but all of the skills gained come from the texts used in the 3 R boxes.

There is also the beginnings of learning to narrate through the storytime box. That was the big one for me .. but I learned it's not mystical .. just ask them questions and talk about what you're reading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenMinded viewpost.gif

There is also the beginnings of learning to narrate through the storytime box. That was the big one for me .. but I learned it's not mystical .. just ask them questions and talk about what you're reading.

I agree with both points. If you are doing a math program and a writing and phonics program, you are covering most of the other skills (assuming she is doing some crafty things with scissors, etc. for fine motor) but I have really loved that the storytime box rotates through narration and retelling skills and points of character development. I would say we have used LHFHG halfway lately. I'm doing my own thing for math and phonics/writing (RS and SWR), and I've ignored the fine motor box because she is writing in cursive and doing lots of artwork and cutting. We have benefited a lot from the Bible plan and memory verses, although we don't always do the Bible rhyme/fingerplay and honestly I haven't been too happy with the Kenneth Taylor devotional (I've found it to be pretty judgmental, actually, and I am a fairly conservative believer.) The Burgess books--we LOVE them. I thought they were kind of strange at first, but I have realized that they are packed with vocabulary, science and character development! The way the animals act and interact with each other has led us to many wonderful discoveries in nature. They are great for having the kids retell by acting out the story and my kids LOVE to do this with these books. (We use a lot of stuffed animals for this.) And they truly are great for discussing character development themes such as compassion, generosity, contentment, etc. We also do lots of picture book read-alouds. But we don't do everything everyday. I say, get LHFHG, a good children's Bible, and the Burgess books, and make use of your public library and then just see what gets done.

The only reason I would vote for LHFHG (and really the only reason I use it) is because if I don't have a schedule to follow, when life gets busy, the snuggle-time-reading with the youngers is what tends to jump onto the back burner. I've enjoyed LHFHG just because it gives me a visual reminder to spend time with my 6yo by himself! We've taken a whole year + to do it because we don't manage it everyday, but I know that for me, the good intentions of reading would have disappeared long ago without the schedule.

The only reason I would vote for LHFHG (and really the only reason I use it) is because if I don't have a schedule to follow, when life gets busy, the snuggle-time-reading with the youngers is what tends to jump onto the back burner. I've enjoyed LHFHG just because it gives me a visual reminder to spend time with my 6yo by himself! We've taken a whole year + to do it because we don't manage it everyday, but I know that for me, the good intentions of reading would have disappeared long ago without the schedule.

:iagree: This is why I use a pre-K program and K program. With my oldest I didn't do any "curriculum" for pre-K or K, but now I need those curriculums because I just don't think about it if I don't.

Wow, Ladies! You are giving me LOTS to think about! I'm a little afraid that if I don't have something scheduled, that I might not make reading to my daughter a priority like I should.

Hmmm... now I'm thinking that maybe I can use LHFHG in a loose way. I would still follow the readings, etc. But maybe some days I'll just read some great picture books from our shelves or the library instead.

If I can make LHFHG snuggle-on-the-couch feeling, then I think it might be best. I tend to be very schedule oriented, so I would have to be careful to not let the LHFHG schedule get in the way of a fun time together. Maybe I could just do whatever we could fit into the day, and pick up where we left off the next day. (I'll do the 3R's every day, though.)

I do know that my older two had so many picture books read to them at this age, and I just don't have the time to read as much to my youngers now because my olders need my teaching time. My youngers hear way more classic and chapter books at young ages than my olders did, though.

I'm open to more suggestions and opinions! :bigear:

My vote is for lots of reading......

But I am biased because I don't like Little Hearts for His Glory at all (except for the name of the guide and the Rhymes in Motion). Generally, though, I think HOD is a lovely program. Take my view with a grain of salt, O.K.?

I used Little Hearts for a few weeks and really didn't get all the hype about "skills" in that particular guide. We read the same Bible Story twice a day; once in the "history text" and once in the "children's Bible". It was redundant. My daughter didn't connect with the Burgess books although my boys LOVED them at ages 7 and 9. It was NOT enough literature, which, IMHO is more important at ages 5 and 6 than HOD's "skills". Fine Motor skills are usually worked on somewhat intuitively and naturally for most kindergarten age kids alongside the family studies. They cut, color, glue, use playdough, etc. and there is not a schedule or plan needed for that. Put the supplies out. Give a bit of direction if needed. I also don't believe a schedule is needed to "do the next page" in a handwriting book or activity book such as the Rod & Staff Books.

I really do feel bad sharing that because I am supportive of HOD. I think Carrie's guides get better and better in terms of content and organization.

You may love it though and it might be just what you need and hit your student at the right time. :001_smile:

You could put out a collection of books you want to read together in a basket nearby your snuggle place and pre-plan a daily appointment. Seeing the LHFHG guide isn't going to remind you any better than a basket of books will.

eta, well, since you already have it (supposing you have all the books need also) your flexible plan above sounds like a good one.

Edited by SCGS

I loved, loved, loved my time doing LHFHG!! But, we did it for 1st grade. For K, I'd read, read, read and love your time together.

:iagree:

LOVE LHFHG this year with a K and a 1st grader.

But we do add some books from SL, FIAR and other lists.

LHFHG manual also has excellent book recommendations for each unit. For science ,we supplemented with Let's read and find out and youtube videos :)

I loved, loved, loved my time doing LHFHG!! But, we did it for 1st grade. For K, I'd read, read, read and love your time together.

I'm calling my daughter K next year because she has a late summer birthday (she'll turn 6 in August), but it's really a bit nebulous as she could be called 1st grade in the fall. We've been doing handwriting, phonics, and thinking skills this year.

I could do the read-aloud thing this year, then do LHFHG next year for her official 1st grade year. Hmmm... more to think about!

That's what I was going to suggest, waiting until 1st grade to do LHFHG. The other option would be to do it half-speed and take two years to do it. Then you could fill in with read-alouds on the off-days.

Kathy

Thanks, Kathy! I might go with one of these options. It might be fun to just stick with reading lots this year, then jump into LHFHG in the fall of 2013 (or sooner if I feel like it).

Lots to think about and discuss with my husband. Thanks so much, ladies. I'm so thankful for all your help and encouragement! :grouphug: