Menu

completely ridiculous? HOD done secularly?

woolybear

I was considering Beyond and then Bigger, but I'm interested in hearing about any and all.

Beyond's history spines American Pioneers and Patriots, Stories of the Pilgrims, and Boys and Girls of Colonial Days are all from Christian publishers. The science spine God's Wonderful Works is also from Christian Liberty Press. Some of the poem's are from a Christian viewpoint. So Beyond could not be used secularly and I would assume it would be near impossible to use the other guides secularly either.

I think you could do Bigger secularly.

The spines for history are all secular, except The Story of The Wright Brothers and Their Sister, which is published by Christian Liberty Press. We haven't read the Wright Brothers book yet, though, so I don't know how much mention there is of God in the actual book. I know the preface mentions God and their father was a minister. I don't remember any mention of God in the Eggleston books.

The science books are all secular. Obviously when you do your notebooking, you wouldn't be copying Bible verses or anything, but that is only a small part of the notebooking.

And you wouldn't do the Bible. Although the Bible in Bigger uses Proverbs to discuss character traits, thriftiness, honesty, etc. So you could use the character traits to discuss in a secular way.

The poetry uses some poems that talk about God, but they aren't used as a study of God rather a study of literature terms, alliteration, couplets, etc.

The music study is about Bible hymns, but you could easily use Wee Sing America and Fun and Folk to study patriotic and folk songs. We are actually adding in American folk songs and American artists to our study of Bigger.

The main ideas in each box are what pulls the study together to make it about God, but that's easy to get rid of...just don't read the main idea.

So, I definitely think Bigger could be done secularly, just because the spines lend themselves that way.

HTH.

I think you could do Bigger secularly.

The spines for history are all secular, except The Story of The Wright Brothers and Their Sister, which is published by Christian Liberty Press. We haven't read the Wright Brothers book yet, though, so I don't know how much mention there is of God in the actual book. I know the preface mentions God and their father was a minister. I don't remember any mention of God in the Eggleston books.

The science books are all secular. Obviously when you do your notebooking, you wouldn't be copying Bible verses or anything, but that is only a small part of the notebooking.

And you wouldn't do the Bible. Although the Bible in Bigger uses Proverbs to discuss character traits, thriftiness, honesty, etc. So you could use the character traits to discuss in a secular way.

The poetry uses some poems that talk about God, but they aren't used as a study of God rather a study of literature terms, alliteration, couplets, etc.

The music study is about Bible hymns, but you could easily use Wee Sing America and Fun and Folk to study patriotic and folk songs. We are actually adding in American folk songs and American artists to our study of Bigger.

The main ideas in each box are what pulls the study together to make it about God, but that's easy to get rid of...just don't read the main idea.

So, I definitely think Bigger could be done secularly, just because the spines lend themselves that way.

HTH.

:iagree: When I asked which guide (above) I was actually thinking it might work with Bigger. The others would be very difficult. (Although their Early Modern guide might work - main history spines are Guerber, Foster and a book about Napoleon and the science is Exploration Education.)

I think you could do Bigger Hearts secularly but you would definately want to get the guide first and preview it before making a final decision. You may need to make a substitution every once in awhile but I think it is possible.

I don't think any of the other guides could be done seculary. It would take alot of work on your part. You could delete things and make substitutions. Not every thing is written from a "religious" point of view. However, you would have to ignore ALOT of content and you would have to make many adjustments. I don't think it would be worth it.

What is it about HOD that appeals to you? Maybe we could help you find something similiar if we know what you are looking for.

I think you could do Bigger Hearts secularly but you would definately want to get the guide first and preview it before making a final decision. You may need to make a substitution every once in awhile but I think it is possible.

I don't think any of the other guides could be done seculary. It would take alot of work on your part. You could delete things and make substitutions. Not every thing is written from a "religious" point of view. However, you would have to ignore ALOT of content and you would have to make many adjustments. I don't think it would be worth it.

What is it about HOD that appeals to you? Maybe we could help you find something similiar if we know what you are looking for.

I already have many of the books. I like the idea of using them, but having a schedule to help me do that. Also, I like the way the schedule is laid out, although that wouldn't be a main reason for getting it.