Menu

Any people on here from New Orleans (or nearby)?

West Ship Islands in Mississippi (have to take a ferry there); Gulf Port, Mississippi; Orange Beach, Alabama

Yeah - they aren't in LA, but they are VERY close.

I can't really think of a decent beach in LA, but I haven't ever looked :)

We're in NOLA. No beaches right around here, but head east to Mississippi or Alabama and there are decent ones.

eta: good for you for bringing the kids to vacation in New Orleans! It's SUCH a wonderful family destination, and I can never seem to convince people of that!

Born and raised in Baton Rouge. The beaches on the LA coast are NOT what I consider beaches. Brown "sand" and brown water. Yuck.

Gulf Shores or Orange Beach, AL would be your prettiest beaches within a few hour drive, and they are nice beaches with white sand and blue water!

There are no beaches in LA, only swamps and marshes. ;) Unless you go to Ship Island, skip the MS beaches. They are shallow and gross. Go to Gulf Shores, AL or Pensacola, FL.

I live about 5 minutes from Pensacola Beach - we like it here :)

It takes about 3.5 hours to get here from New Orleans, though, so not an easy day trip.

Ship Island is probably your best bet. If not, Gulf Port.

Edited by SailorMom

Second Gulfport since it is closer than Gulf Shores/Orange Beach and the beaches are beautiful. After the oil spill, they replaced all the sand and it is as clean as I have ever seen a beach. I was just there last fall and we did the Gulf SHOres trip in March. Personally, I wouldn't drive the distane to the AL beaches unless this was my destination.Although they are terrific! Have fun!

Yeah, even when we lived there we wouldn't go to any beaches in LA. We went to Biloxi, if we did.

I grew up there and my family still lives there. This past visit, we took the kids on the Honey Island Swamp Tour and it was awesome! Saw all kinds of gators :)

I really wanted to go down to Avery Island and tour the Tabasco plant and all that stuff, but we didn't have time.

Make sure you go to the Audubon Zoo :) And have the kids wear a bathing suit under their clothes, so they can play in the water on Monkey Hill, inside the zoo. Plus, they have a small water park there now, oh man, the kids had a blast!! But do it on the week day, or it will be crowded!

Make sure you get sno-balls!

And the Audubon Park is really nice too and across the street from the zoo. On the Riverwalk, at one end of the French Quarter, they have those trampolines with the bungee cords on them.

Many wonderful ideas here. I'll check them out. And the swamp tour sounds neat (and mosquitoe'y?). we plan to do the zoo, the Aquarium of the Americas, the Insectarium Museum, and then I'm sending the family off while I indulge in 3 hours of uninterrupted World War II museum!!! ...we plan to do beignettes (however you spell um'), Jack's Brewery (I'm craving a Muffulata--- that's not how one spells that either). We're looking forward to it!!!

:driving::thumbup::hurray:................................................:auto:

Thanks again to all of you!

Many wonderful ideas here. I'll check them out. And the swamp tour sounds neat (and mosquitoe'y?). we plan to do the zoo, the Aquarium of the Americas, the Insectarium Museum, and then I'm sending the family off while I indulge in 3 hours of uninterrupted World War II museum!!! ...we plan to do beignettes (however you spell um'), Jack's Brewery (I'm craving a Muffulata--- that's not how one spells that either). We're looking forward to it!!!

:driving::thumbup::hurray:................................................:auto:

Thanks again to all of you!

NO mosquitoes during the swamp tour! THe tour guide even brought it to our attention :) I *think* he said it was because the water was continually moving so the mosquitoes didn't lay eggs there.... or something..... We also ate at a GREAT restaurant afterwards.... lemme look it up... Palmettos on the Bayou!! It's in Slidell, not too far from the swamp tour.

http://www.palmettosonthebayou.net/

It was soooo good! And the atmosphere was perfect, right on the bayou :) There was actually a huge thunderstorm halfway through our meal and after we ate we went out on the (covered) deck and sat and listened/smalled the rain, it was awesome :) We had a 7 and 8 year old with us, they loved it too :)

Make sure you go to the Audubon Zoo :) And have the kids wear a bathing suit under their clothes, so they can play in the water on Monkey Hill, inside the zoo. Plus, they have a small water park there now, oh man, the kids had a blast!! But do it on the week day, or it will be crowded!

It will be crowded regardless! I have never seen crowds like the NOLA zoo and aquarium generate! We go to both regularly, though, and the way to beat the crowds is to get there when they open (10am) and go BACKWARDS. At the zoo, hang an immediate left and walk straight to the back of the zoo, and then do the exhibits in reverse order of how everyone else goes through them. At the aquarium, it's a loop. You're intended to turn left and go through clockwise. Do it in counterclockwise starting on the right. Seriously. You'll have the zoo to yourself if you do this, and a much more pleasant experience at both places.

Regarding the WWII museum - I'd say have the whole family go. It is the BEST National museum I have been to, bar none.

Three hours is no where near enough time. Before it was renovated, and more was added, my kids and I spent almost 8 straight hours there.

The movie produced by Tom Hanks was outstanding - I think it should be mandatory viewing for American citizens.

Regarding the WWII museum - I'd say have the whole family go. It is the BEST National museum I have been to, bar none.

Three hours is no where near enough time. Before it was renovated, and more was added, my kids and I spent almost 8 straight hours there.

The movie produced by Tom Hanks was outstanding - I think it should be mandatory viewing for American citizens.

I've been once before, but you're right -- I need to budget more time. My kids are too young for it. My oldest is first grade.

If you want a really good authentic muffaletta, you need to go to Central Grocery. It's near the Farmer's Market, St Peter or Decatur Street I think it's called at that point, not on the river side of the market but on the quarter side of the street.