Menu

Is dictation enough for

----

Absolutely. It's all I've ever used for my natural spellers, and they're turning out just fine. Do you or will you be studying Latin and/or Greek? Perhaps your dh will be satisfied with that. But no, I don't believe natural spellers need a spelling program... just dictation to practice words that they trip up on in their own writing.

Some students absolutely *don't* need a spelling program. Alternatives might be a vocabulary program (where you cover the spelling of the words, of course), Latin or Greek (as mentioned above), or spelling meant for kids who are already strong spellers (like Hexco materials for preparing for spelling bees).

But a standard 4th grade spelling book? Likely a total waste of time for both you and your dd. Increase the academic demands placed on her in some other, more productive way.

What about something like Sequential Spelling? It is basically just daily lists of words, different words each day that build on previous words, grouped by 'family' or logical grouping. It only takes 10 minutes a day. I used it for 3rd-6th with my natural spellers. I have decided to go over the rules with them the rest of this year and next though, as I think it will still be useful to them. I'm making my own program to do so. We aren't to far into it, but I'm glad I decided to go over the rules with them. :)

My kids sound like yours. Here's what we do....

At the beginning of each school year I test them using the evaluations in Spelling Power. If they test above "grade level" then we don't do spelling for the year. All I do is keep a look out for words they misspell in things they write and I input those into the Spelling City website. Once we have a list of about 10-15 I tell them to go play on Spelling City using that list. That's about all it takes. They know them after that. So far, I'd say I have made 3-4 lists for them, and most were words my 6yo misspelled, not my 8yo.

If your dh ABSOLUTELY insists on a spelling program, then Spelling Power would be a good one to look into. Children only study words they don't know. They don't waste time going over words they already know like every other program out there. It seems like a good choice for good spellers (though we haven't actually had to use it yet so I have no personal experience here!).

Some students absolutely *don't* need a spelling program. Alternatives might be a vocabulary program (where you cover the spelling of the words, of course), Latin or Greek (as mentioned above), or spelling meant for kids who are already strong spellers (like Hexco materials for preparing for spelling bees).

But a standard 4th grade spelling book? Likely a total waste of time for both you and your dd. Increase the academic demands placed on her in some other, more productive way.

:iagree:

Natural spellers? I have never used a spelling program with my dc. They have so far been early readers, and just seem to know how to spell a word. My dd8 is going to be going into 4th, and dh feels that it's time to up the workload. For some reason, he's stuck on having me add a spelling program for this next year. Dd will be bored to tears (literally!) if I hand her a spelling workbook to complete. I was hoping something like Dictation Day by Day might be enough to make everyone happy. Dh feels that this isn't really spelling.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? They're all welcomed!

Eta: Dh recognizes the wisdom of the Hive, and he's also interested in the responses.

I am a natural speller, but there came a point when I'd get stuck on spelling more advanced words and when I would skip over words in reading "because I'd never seen or heard them before." So, I wouldn't read them because I didn't know how to sound them out. When I learned HOW to read and spell using The Writing Road to Reading, I started sounding out advanced words and figuring out how to spell advanced words. About my son - he is also a natural speller, and I took him through the WRTR - he finished the lists in Grade 3, and then I didn't know what to do with him. So I started giving him more advanced words from science or history books to analyze in his spelling notebook. After a year or so, I let him stop "doing spelling." Fast forward to just recently - I have discovered in his writing that he is making some spelling mistakes - first time ever! They are what I now consider to be basic things such as "receive" and "incurred." He spelled them "recieve" and "incured." I had to talk him through the spelling rule/phonogram process he learned all those years ago, because he had forgotten. If he'd never had that training, my job would be more difficult right now. So, I'm glad I put him through that, because he now has the solid knowledge of rules/phonograms to fall back upon.

I think Spelling Power is somewhat similar to the WRTR - the basic WRTR book (I recommend the 3rd or 4th edition) is cheap. Add phonogram cards, a composition notebook, and pencil, and you are set (though you will have a learning curve with learning how it works).

If I had natural spellers, I probably would either use dictation or just focus on spelling in their writing. I think the time might be better spent focusing on other topics (you could add in vocabulary, a Greek & Latin roots program, other LA topics like poetry, or spend the time doing more science experiments, nature walks, history projects...there are lots of things TO do, why make spelling a subject if they don't need it?)

If your dh is concerned, find a test somewhere (maybe like in Spelling Power) to see if they are at or above grade level each year. If they are, great, spelling is done. If not, add it in.

The only caveat I would add...if they haven't done much phonics (as early readers), they may have some phonics gaps that will need to be shored up for spelling or for reading--that's something to keep your eye on. If they hit a wall with reading or spelling, you'll want to address that. Otherwise though, if they are just taking off naturally--let them write plays and stories instead of focusing on spelling.

If you have a child who is gifted in language abilities, you might look into linguistics, foreign language and so on. Homeschooling provides great opportunities for capitalizing on our children's strengths while also meeting areas of needs, and you may have an opportunity before you here.

Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

Spelling Wisdom might satisfy your dh. It is a studied dictation program where the author has hunted down famous quotes that include the 7000 most common words (plus a lot of other ones too). You study the quote one day and write it from dictation the next day. As the quotes get longer (like a full page), you study the whole quote, but just write a portion of the following day.

It does get very hard as you move up the levels. There are samples on their web page for the different levels, so you could pick one that challenges your dd.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I've always used Sequential Spelling and my ds seems to be a natural speller. He just hardly spells a word wrong and if he does he can see that it doesn't look right and he'll fix it. About Sequential Spelling moving slowly---there's no reason to marry yourself to the 180 days of spelling lists. The program itself says to move slower or faster as your student seems to need it. I used the first book for two years. You can also just hit the bolded words on the lists or give one of the evaluation tests and then only work on the patterns that your child may have missed. The thing about SeqSpell that shines imo is it moves into very difficult words (relatively speaking for grade level) rather quickly. So I'm not sure if people say it's slow because it's a daily all year thing---or if it's slow to build spelling skills. I would agree that the dailyness of it can get old---but it's not slow in getting children spelling 3/4 syllable words within the first few days of the first book in 1st grade. Also i think the biggest mistake people make when using it is skimping on breaking those words into the color blocked parts---that's absolutely essential, especially in the beginning.

I also like the built-in grammar, phonics and vocabulary work. And I absolutely love that it's not scripted. I also love that my kid can spell words that I just never would have thought to give him on my own---hymnal, probates, distention. I like that it gives English spellings to words that have important phonemic connections.

I think it would be perfect for a natural speller and satisfy your dh. And I would think there would be enough unfamiliar words to challenge even a natural speller.

EDIT: And if you really feel your kids can do it, getting the cd-rom and having them do it independently is also an option.

Edited by Walking-Iris

Haven't read the responses, nor can I respond to just using dictation, but will share what we do... DS 9 is a natural speller and avid reader. Last year we started using Spelling Power for a list of words. We tested him for the right level and went from there. About 10 minutes/ day (may be 1 lesson or more, just depends). I ask him the word, he spells it orally. Great, we move on. Gets it wrong, we either mark it for review another day or have him write it and work on that word. (I find myself usually giving non-rule oriented help -for example mosquito was a hard one for him - it's like moss-quit-o - just saying it differently and he's never forgotten it, coffee is c-o, double f, double e-e) We don't do any of the Spelling Power activities nor do we really go over the rules at all. Works well and he's catching on to those words that are his "tricky" words. You know, those words you still get stuck on....

It's non-consumable, contains about 10 years of spelling, can be used at your own pace, and older editions are fairly inexpensive and easy to find

Edited by kmoncelle

I am a natural speller, but there came a point when I'd get stuck on spelling more advanced words and when I would skip over words in reading "because I'd never seen or heard them before." So, I wouldn't read them because I didn't know how to sound them out. When I learned HOW to read and spell using The Writing Road to Reading, I started sounding out advanced words and figuring out how to spell advanced words. About my son - he is also a natural speller, and I took him through the WRTR - he finished the lists in Grade 3, and then I didn't know what to do with him. So I started giving him more advanced words from science or history books to analyze in his spelling notebook. After a year or so, I let him stop "doing spelling." Fast forward to just recently - I have discovered in his writing that he is making some spelling mistakes - first time ever! They are what I now consider to be basic things such as "receive" and "incurred." He spelled them "recieve" and "incured." I had to talk him through the spelling rule/phonogram process he learned all those years ago, because he had forgotten. If he'd never had that training, my job would be more difficult right now. So, I'm glad I put him through that, because he now has the solid knowledge of rules/phonograms to fall back upon.

I think Spelling Power is somewhat similar to the WRTR - the basic WRTR book (I recommend the 3rd or 4th edition) is cheap. Add phonogram cards, a composition notebook, and pencil, and you are set (though you will have a learning curve with learning how it works).

So, would you recommend someone to use both Spelling Power and WRTR, or do you think if you have the WRTR, then your set for spelling? What about using what you learn from WRTR and applying it in another spelling program like WRTR? I have this book amongst other programs and wonder if maybe all I really need is the WRTR. Thanks for your post; it was very enlightening!

I am a natural speller and was bored silly with spelling in school. I wouldn't inflict it on my children. We're using the Modern Speller by Kate Van Wangeren for dictation from Google ebooks. The modern part always makes me giggle because it's an old book, but the dictation exercises have helped my poor spellers as well as the natural ones.

So, would you recommend someone to use both Spelling Power and WRTR, or do you think if you have the WRTR, then your set for spelling? What about using what you learn from WRTR and applying it in another spelling program like WRTR? I have this book amongst other programs and wonder if maybe all I really need is the WRTR. Thanks for your post; it was very enlightening!

I'm not one to use more than one program to teach a skill, unless there is something in the other program, that will help the child, that isn't in the first program. And since I've always used the WRTR, I recommend it. :D Also, I've only used the spelling, how-to-read, and printing/cursive sections of the WRTR. I didn't use the grammar and composition parts, because I just like other methods better for teaching grammar and composition skills. Again, I'm glad I gave my natural speller (as well as my non-natural speller) these skills, because of the mistakes that have shown up lately. I consider these skills to be part of the whole "learning to think clearly/critically" skill set. But, we don't spend hours and hours on spelling, either. Even when my natural speller was doing formal spelling lessons, he spent maybe 15 minutes a day.

Spelling Wisdom might satisfy your dh. It is a studied dictation program where the author has hunted down famous quotes that include the 7000 most common words (plus a lot of other ones too). You study the quote one day and write it from dictation the next day. As the quotes get longer (like a full page), you study the whole quote, but just write a portion of the following day.

It does get very hard as you move up the levels. There are samples on their web page for the different levels, so you could pick one that challenges your dd.

Ruth in NZ

This is the program I was going to recommend if you had a Natural Speller. If you want a free program, you can check out Wheeler's Elementary Speller on Google Books. It's free, and it includes dictation.

This is what I was thinking. Use a vocabulary program...and make sure she can spell the words.....or work through a more grown up phonics...like Spalding...to teach the rules of spelling, more than just a list of words...add in Greek and Latin roots and you kill lots a birds with one stone.

This is what I was thinking. Use a vocabulary program...and make sure she can spell the words.....or work through a more grown up phonics...like Spalding...to teach the rules of spelling, more than just a list of words...add in Greek and Latin roots and you kill lots a birds with one stone.

I agree with this essentially and we do all the above. SeqSpell covers the spelling rules in a phonics based approach, we do vocab programs (regular and roots based). The grammar program we use covers spelling. The writing programs we use have some spelling instruction. This works for us. I prefer to have these LA skills integrated across programs/curriculum.