Menu

Gymnastics Moms (or other competitive athletes Moms) - Nutrition

I need some advice/ideas on what you feed your gymnasts/athlete? One of my gymnasts who is a Lv 5, training 20+ hours/ week, has an incredibly high metabolism on top of being able to burn the massive amount of calories she does at the gym. This morning she could not practice about halfway through because her stomach hurt. Her coach believes it is because she has kicked up her practice and focus and is really in the zone now and not getting enough nutrition pre-practice / mid-practice snack break.

I found some recipes for homemade LARA bars, but do any of you have other ideas? What do you feed your gymnast/athlete for pre-practice and mid practice breaks? Do your children take vitamins, if so what kind can you recommend?

thanks!

I have a dd who is finishing up this meet season and getting ready to train level 10 next year. She trains 6 days a week, 4 hours a day (most of the time longer than that!). She eats constantly when she is at home, but cannot eat at all during practice. That is just her. I cook healthy meals and make sure there are lots of healthy snacking food around, and let her have at it!

Maybe your dd could use some energy bars at practice. My dd's coach swears by a small bit of dark chocolate during meets. Maybe that would help?

Is she able to eat right before her practices? If so, snacks that pair protein with carbs tend to be a good choice. Perhaps you should consider a protein shake for after practices or a meal/snack that also pairs protein and carbs.

Protein protein protein. When she can't eat much before practice, because it would make her throw up, I make sure that what she does eat is a little pop of protein: Greek yogurt in the smoothie, Z Bars, Special K bars, Luna bars, Lara bars, boiled eggs, hummus. My goal is to have few wasted snacks--every snack has to have nutritional value.

My daughter tends to have low blood sugar issues, and the protein seems especially important for her. I also make sure she takes calcium and iron supplements. Believe me, there will come a day that you'll be glad she has strong bones.

My daughter is a level 9, will train for level 10 as soon as this season ends, and trains 20 hours/week.

Terri

Just taking a quick look on sport medicine websites about pre-practice food recommendations, fruit and carbs are good because they are easy to digest and quick for the body to use. High fibre and proteins take longer to digest and can cause stomach cramps if eaten too soon before exercise.

I know for me before a running race, I would never eat protein. Afterwards is much better. Lots of runners drink fluids or eat gels with sugar and/or elecrolytes during a long distance run for quick energy.

Add more protein and fat. Protein powder in the smoothies, muffins, power bars, etc. Whole fat dairy products. It's hard to get enough into them.

:iagree: This is what my parents did for me. They added that protein powder into everything! Also coconut powder, butter, etc into everything they could sneak it into. I carb-loaded whole grains before practices and meets.

My girls are Levels 5,7 and 9. :agree: with the protein suggestions. One of our favorites is the Barilla high protein pasta (my girls LOVE pasta). Shakes are quick, easy and fun, protein bars (some are junky so keep an eye on the labels), and protein powder tucked into anything that I bake in my kitchen it seems! Also, staying hydrated before practice has greatly helped in the reduction of stomach aches and headaches.

• 2 years later...

I could never eat anything but a light snack before gymnastics or track, diving was the only sport I could eat a lot before, all I had to do was dog paddle out of the water, diving is not really that strenuous.

My daughter is able to eat a full dinner at her mid practice break with no ill effects! She eats a sunbutter and jelly sandwich (I keep a peanut free house for my severe food allergies) a few fruit gummies, a drink, and sometimes a bit of extra carb snack as well, this portion varies. Some of her teammates just eat a small snack and have dinner later, others are like her and can practice after eating a dinner meal. Cheese and crackers or peanut butter crackers are a popular snack for the girls that snack, and fruit is also popular, as are fruit gummies. Sometimes she also has a small snack before we leave the house or right before the start of practice. During gymnastics camp last summer they all ate pizza and then went right back out there, no one threw up!