Menu

I need games that my 5 and 3yo and play together (alone, but supervised)

I need things to keep the two of them occupied so I can get some school done. :)

They currently play Uno and Sleeping Queens together but there's not much else that we have that they can play on their own. Games like (Chinese) Checkers, while simple, they can't play because the strategy is beyond them and things start to unravel quickly. :glare:

Candyland might be an option (we don't have it, I've never played it)- is this any good?

We also have Hisss and while well liked, it's not nearly as popular as Sleeping Queens.

What else would you recommend?

ETA: Games like Chutes and Ladders seem to cause problems too, due to the having to count spaces out. Both can count and add but the 3yo has difficulties sticking to one square per count. :rolleyes: This leads to untold amounts of bickering. :glare:

Edited by plain jane

Sequence for Kids is my go-to game for together/supervised play. My at-the-time 3yo loved it, and at-the-time 6yo was great about making sure the little guy drew cards when he was supposed to:).

Personal opinion, obviously, but I loathe and despise Candyland. Ours got tossed in recycling during naptime a couple years ago. It's mind-numbingly awful and playing it makes me feel like falling on butter knives would be more fun. But, some people love it:D.

Go Away Monster by Gamewright is very cute. My youngest dd would make me play that over and over again. The goal is to furnish the bedroom, using picture cardboard cutouts, by pulling the pictures out of a bag. If you pull out a monster, you tell it to Go Away and put it to the side (or something like that). First player who finishes his/her bedroom is the winner.

Some of my dc were playing Sorry! as early as 3yo. It goes a lot faster if you use only 2 pieces per player.

:iagree:I forgot about that one! My kids love it. They also started playing it around age 3, but my oldest could read the cards. I don't know if your 5 year old can read yet.

Fundex Games - Lunch Box Games - COOKIN' COOKIES

It is about $9 on Amazon. Cute game and it has pictures they can follow instead of words.

I have also heard that the Peanut Butter and Jelly game by the same company is good.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

:iagree:I forgot about that one! My kids love it. They also started playing it around age 3, but my oldest could read the cards. I don't know if your 5 year old can read yet.

My oldest can read, but it's the counting their way around the board game that will likely prove to be a problem with these two. :glare:

Not games, but I have some fantastic toys that keep my 9 and 7 year old boys busy for hours and hours together. These toys inspire their imagination and keeps them creating fun worlds for long period of time with no fighting !! :001_smile:

* Wooden Thomas the Tank Engine Trains and Train sets

* Duplo Lego Sets ( no choking hazzard for younger kids). They particularly love the Thomas Duplo Lego sets and the Toy Story Lego sets

* Magneetos

* Magna-Tiles

* Playmobil sets

Lucky Ducks (Warning: it's noisy!)

Some sort of lotto game like

Zingo

or

Number Bingo

or

Alphabet Lotto

If you want to avoid Candyland, play

Zoofari. It's the same thing, but with an animal theme.

We play a lot of Cariboo in our house. I don't think Hasbro makes it anymore. I don't know why. It's a great starter game! Look for it secondhand in the link given.

I've also had really good luck with games from Learning Resources.

You can also make flashcards of 3-letter CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) words with pictures to have the kids spell out with refrigerator letters.