Menu

s/o which sunscreen for people who have had melanoma?

My dh has a coworker who was diagnosed with melanoma last year. She is now cancer-free, but she is looking for information about which sunscreen she should use. She is concerned about the conflicting info she has heard about chemical sunscreens.

Now clearly this is a controversial topic on this board, but I was hoping that if anyone here has had melanoma or knows someone who has had it, they might share specifically what sunscreen product they currently use. This is a topic of interest to me as well, because my dh is a high school tennis coach, and spends about 5 hours a day out in the Texas sun!

Thanks for any information y'all have! :001_smile:

Edited by caayenne
grammar

I've had melanoma twice and I try to stay out of the sun and it is my goal to never, ever get a burn...

I do go out before 10 or 11am and work in the yard... or after 3pm... I try to not be out for long periods of time.

If I need a sunscreen, I will use the Neutrogena, as mentioned, or the one from Trader Joe's with the zinc in it.

Most US sunscreens that tout broad uva and uvb coverage are actually poor at protecting against uva. Tell her to research La Roche Posay Anthelios XL ....the XL is important - Mexoryl XL (instead of Mexoryl SM, etc) is highly recommended. It also scores well for being non toxic.

I think you need to establish what you want in a sunscreen. Based on my reading, I want something that has no parabens, no oxbenzone, active ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, and it has both UVA and UVB coverage. I also want it to rub in without making our skin look too pasty. Waterproof would also be nice since we are in the water a lot on vacations and all summer.

I recently found Banana Boat Natural Reflect at a local drugstore. It says it has no parabens or oxybenzone and the active ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. (It also says both UVA and UVB are covered but I really want a third party to validate that before I believe it!). It says "very water resistant" which seemed to be accurate -- re-applying after about 1.5-2 hours in the water was sufficient.

http://www.bananaboat.com/products/15142.aspx?cat=3&curBrowseBy=Usage

Last year I used a couple that I found on the EWG safer sunscreen list (Badger and Beyond Coastal), but this year I didn't have time to order online. I am hoping for a review from them of Natural Reflect when their 2012 list comes out. Here's their 2011 list -- http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/

We were in Central America recently and used hats, swim shirts, and Beyond Coastal on faces, Natural reflect on arms and necks during the middle of the day. In the morning and late afternoon we go without sunscreen just enough to get a light tan but no burn.

I have an in law who survived skin cancer; she is a pale redhead. She never goes outside without a hat and is generally fairly well covered. She was advised to do this even when walking from the house to the car. I think she also wears foundation, from doctor's advice.

I had a melanoma 15 years ago. I use Neutrogena Helioplex on my face and whatever I'm using for the kids -- I always choose one of the EWG-rated sunblocks like Badger or CA Baby -- on my body.

I also try to stay in the shade/somewhat covered up, I always wear a hat in the summer, and we usually try to avoid going out in peak sun hours (which isn't hard because I still have littles who nap).

So the Neutrogena is good? That's one of the ones she said she was considering. Thanks so much to both of you! :)

I bought Neutrogena one summer, and I burned pretty badly every time I used it. Needless to say, I threw it away and will never buy that brand again. Banana Boat has a 50 spf one that is supposed to be good, and someone mentioned in another thread that Trader Joes has a broad spectrum sunscreen that has zinc in it. I am on medicine that affects my skin (burn faster, heal slower), so I'm going to try the TJs sunscreen this year.

I use Coppertone Sensitive 50:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/385186/Coppertone_Sensitive_Skin_Sunscreen_Lotion,_SPF_50/

I also like the Earth's Best Organic but it's more difficult to find, and it has a lower zinc oxide % than the Coppertone Sensitive does.

http://www.drugstore.com/jason-natural-cosmetics-earths-best-organic-sunblock-chemical-free-spf-30/qxp141566

My dh has a coworker who was diagnosed with melanoma last year. She is now cancer-free, but she is looking for information about which sunscreen she should use. She is concerned about the conflicting info she has heard about chemical sunscreens.

Now clearly this is a controversial topic on this board, but I was hoping that if anyone here has had melanoma or knows someone who has had it, they might share specifically what sunscreen product they currently use. This is a topic of interest to me as well, because my dh is a high school tennis coach, and spends about 5 hours a day out in the Texas sun!

Thanks for any information y'all have! :001_smile:

Badger Sunscreen is the only one I have found without the nasty chemicals. Even the ones in the health food store are mostly loaded with them.