Menu

SOTW too hard for 1st grade?

Lisa R

Do any of you find this to be true? It seems a bit over my dd's head. She really doesn't recall much when I ask her the narrations questions in the AG. Should I just forge ahead and let her just get what she gets knowing we'll cover this again sometime?

Thanks!

Do any of you find this to be true? It seems a bit over my dd's head. She really doesn't recall much when I ask her the narrations questions in the AG. Should I just forge ahead and let her just get what she gets knowing we'll cover this again sometime?

Thanks!

This is what I did, and I was so surprised at how much my boys remembered the 2nd time around.

Thanks!

I don't think the narration questions are really age appropriate for first grade. Neither of my girls could really answer them, but over time I have realized that they have absorbed the material and can have surprisingly detailed conversations about the lessons and link it in with documentaries we have watched. We soldier on.

Funny, so often I think curricula is geared towards girls but I can see how sotw might not be super appealing to girls. It is my son's favorite, I have to keep it until the end (no history unless you finish you math).

We don't do a lot of the related crafts. Perhaps those could draw her in? Or history pockets, those appeal to my DD 4.

My son really remebers a lot. We listen to each story at least twice, sometimes more. He colors the worksheets and maps, we talk, then we do the tests as a worksheets together. I think they are better for him than the AG questions. He usually gets most of them correct. Then we do the lapbook mentioned by a PP. We can look back and review what we have learned. With all that review, he is remembering a lot. I hope the SOTW 2 lapbook is ready for next year :) he loves doing that!

Subbing to this thread because we have checked out the CD's from the library and also a few of the suggested other books and DD just has zero interest in the ancients. I haven't seen the activity guide yet.

There is also the Famous Figures of Ancient Times paper dolls - that might help.

I started with my DD 5.5 and am on SOTW Ch. 9. The first few chapters were choppy. She enjoyed it but didn't get the narration. So I bought the audiobook and now she listens to the chapter 4-5x before I ask the narration questions and she gets them all. She also enjoys the map and coloring pages. But repetition was the most important part, and for us having it be Jim Weiss instead of me reading it repeatedly throughout the week.

In 1st grade, I don't bother with the narration questions for SOTW.

Instead, I've had my kids draw a picture of something they remember from the story (anything!), and then tell me about it. I dictate their description of the picture. At the end of the year, we've got a really nice book of everything they've covered, and they've developed the skills for listening, recall and narration.

I think it really depends on the kid. I am on my second trip around the history cycle. My eldest used SOTW 1-4. My youngest is about to finish SOTW 2. Both my boys had a really good experience with SOTW . They are both able to answer the questions and do the narrations with no problem. My younger son started a year early, so he is in SOTW 2 as a first grader, having done book 1 last year. I started him early to keep him on the same history cycle as his older brother.

My older son is now doing history as a middle schooler and I am amazed at how much he remembers from the earlier years. SOTW really seems to have stuck in his head.

So, if a child isn't able to answer the questions or doesn't show much interest I think it's a great idea to wait a year and try again. Or just read them the selection and ask the child to tell you one thing they remember about the reading. You write it down and call it narration. That is how it works in WWE1.

This is the way History Odyssey does it, which we will be using this fall.

OP, maybe you could take a peak at their sample so you can see an alternate way to use STOW (and/or other spines).

http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=20

In 1st grade, I don't bother with the narration questions for SOTW.

Instead, I've had my kids draw a picture of something they remember from the story (anything!), and then tell me about it. I dictate their description of the picture. At the end of the year, we've got a really nice book of everything they've covered, and they've developed the skills for listening, recall and narration.

My girls like it alot.. They retain more than I think they do. Especially, when on tv there is a program showing a map and they scream "Hey, there is India!" We do the map work exercises and the color the coloring page while I read the story. We don't do many of the projects because I am lazy... I also don't have written narration.. It annoys me, honestly. I do have them narrate with Science and draw a picture. I just can't handle narrating History and Science and books they read for fun. I do use the AG and ask them the questions or discuss the questions with them. We also use the review cards often and they flip through their previous coloring pages...

Unfortunately for my 1st grader, we are on SOTW3 which is much harder to follow. However, he just colors a page from the AG and pops in with an answer when he knows it. It's funny sometimes when he knows an answer the other boys don't! He doesn't seem to be paying attention and then...pop...he gives an answer without even looking up. However, I don't ask kids to even try the narration until 3rd grade. I provide the narration.

Right now ds11 goes off and records his own narrations and then copies them down. He knows ALL the answers in detail so I have to boot him out so the youngers get a turn! DS9 is starting to provide his own narrations which I write on the dry erase board so we can all see it an talk about it. If we're in a hurry or schooling in the car, ds11 will narrate for everyone or we skip it.

Brownie

I started SOTW with my Dd6 at the beginning of this year (her K year) and I could tell she wasn't getting much out of it so I decided to wait until first instead. I am really hoping that it won't still be over her head when we start again in a few months. There are some great ideas that you all have posted that I will have to think about how to implement, thank you to all who have shared!