Menu

Need creative Easter candy ideas

I haven't done baskets for my kids in years. Usually, I buy a large hollow chocolate bunny for each but they get it when I buy it, sometime around Easter sunday. This year I want to surprise them and get them some kind of candy fun. I would rather not buy baskets since they all appear kid-like. Is there a creative holder I'm not thinking about for teens?

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of plastic eggs to hold small bite-sized candies like M&Ms, Hershey eggs, and skittles. I thought having the smaller candies hidden in eggs would be fun.

I'm just trying to have some fun with them. I would rather not hand them each a plastic Walmart bag like usual. I want them to wake up Easter morning and find their baskets in the living room. I want a happily shocked look. :)

Do you have any creative ideas of doing candy baskets for teens?

What about going to the craft store and getting tin pails? Or maybe small beach totes (like purse size)? You can put the eggs in there and then they have something to use after. FWIW, I stopped buying baskets long ago. We have a pail for egg hunting and I empty out two of the toy storage baskets for Easter morning. They're square and brown but hold just as much of the good stuff!

My teen this year is getting candy in plastic eggs and some cascarones - hollowed out egg shells filled with confetti and covered in bits of tissue paper.

Maybe get a cute rice bowl, fill it w/ small chocolate eggs, & include a gift certificate to go out for Chinese food?

Are there particular hobbies or things that your dc enjoy? Could you come up w/ something based on that?

How about a cute, summery purse for your dd & put the candy-filled eggs in the purse? Would your ds like a particular team's ballcap (you can turn it upside down & fill it w/ candy or have it right-side-up hiding candy eggs underneath). Popcorn containers (the red & white striped types you can often find at dollar stores) filled w/ popcorn, but w/ small candy hidden throughout the popcorn. You could also hide a gift certificate for the movie theater in there.

ETA: Some more ideas...

Dartboard w/ pieces of candy 'pinned' to the board w/ the darts.

Tennis racquets for each, but empty the canister of tennis balls & fill it w/ candy instead.

Or, instead of lots of little candies, spluge on getting them each a box of 'fancier' candy like Godiva or something special.

Edited by Stacia

My MIL gives the adult children and "nicer" decorative basket, small, and fills it with real grass. We always donate ours after the holiday, and I'm sure you can find them inexpensively at thrift stores or even Marshall's, TJ Maxx type places. THen she puts in 1-2 plastic eggs, one with cash and one with some kind of small candies (we each have our favorites!). She usually adds one more small thing, special to each of us - for me it's usually a sketch pad, a DVD for my husband, a rolled up tee-shirt for my BIL, and a nice bottle of wine for my SIL.

Always well-received by all of us :D and definitely not babyish whilst still being a fun "kid" treat.

I still do baskets for the kids (and DH!), generally a mix of candy and little toys and things. Think Geek is a good source for small, inexpensive fun stuff. "Basket stuffers" could include $5 giftcards to Starbucks or iTunes, tiny maglight type flashlights, flavored lip balm, card or dice games, disposable fountain pens with colored ink, tiny flash drives, hex bugs, etc.

I usually hide plastic eggs with toys & candy in them, but last year most of the things I bought were too big for the eggs, so I put little clues inside the eggs, and they had to find them all in order to figure out where their baskets were hidden. This year I bought some ancient-history-themed lego minifigs (Spartans, Roman soldiers, gladiators, Cleopatra, a Minotaur, etc.) to put in the eggs. They also each get a small stuffed toy; DS has gotten stuffed microbes, and last year he got a stuffed Killer Rabbit from Monty Python, which was a huge hit (he's made appearances in several of the kids' videos and regularly shows up in strange places around the house).

As for candy, JellyBelly jelly beans are always a hit (Costco sells HUGE jars of them around Easter), and if your kids like coffee, there's chocolate covered coffee beans. A couple of nice chocolate bars (like Lindt or Ghirardelli) might be appreciated in lieu of the hollow rabbit. Oh and Pez — my kids get a new Pez dispenser and a bunch of pez every Easter (who doesn't like Pez???).

DH gets chocolate-covered coffee beans, German marzipan, British cookies (McVities, HobNobs), exotic mustards & hot sauces, and a couple of little toys or gadgets from Think Geek.

Jackie

My dd14 has just redone her room and could use another colored box for her shelf, so that would be perfect. I can't think of anything special for my son or oldest dd (who got 4 tote bags from friends for Christmas). I will just buy a basket of some type. I can go to Michaels and see if they have something small and attractive that isn't pink or blue. I have a few ideas for gifts, but it's almost like filling a Christmas stocking which is just as hard for me each year! :)

Oh, I bet cascarones would be a huge hit with your kids. Can you take some time and make a dozen for each of them? They can play with them in the yard--they are like water balloons in that they take no time at all to use, but if your kids are ok with smashing each other with them, they are tons of fun! You can make scambled eggs for everyone for Easter am (and for the next day or so...lol!).

I have a friend who uses large decorated tin eggs for her older kids. Fills them with candy and money and hide them. I get my 2 older boys their favorite easter candy (one get snicker eggs and the other gets cadbury eggs. The 2 younger ones get baskets still and they hunt for eggs..

• 2 weeks later...
My MIL gives the adult children and "nicer" decorative basket, small, and fills it with real grass. We always donate ours after the holiday, and I'm sure you can find them inexpensively at thrift stores or even Marshall's, TJ Maxx type places. THen she puts in 1-2 plastic eggs, one with cash and one with some kind of small candies (we each have our favorites!). She usually adds one more small thing, special to each of us - for me it's usually a sketch pad, a DVD for my husband, a rolled up tee-shirt for my BIL, and a nice bottle of wine for my SIL.

Always well-received by all of us :D and definitely not babyish whilst still being a fun "kid" treat.

What nice ideas!! I want to be that kind of MIL when my time comes! ;)

Thanks.

My dd14 has just redone her room and could use another colored box for her shelf, so that would be perfect. I can't think of anything special for my son or oldest dd (who got 4 tote bags from friends for Christmas). I will just buy a basket of some type. I can go to Michaels and see if they have something small and attractive that isn't pink or blue. I have a few ideas for gifts, but it's almost like filling a Christmas stocking which is just as hard for me each year! :)

Here's the link to a thread that may give you some ideas.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365945&highlight=easter+baskets

HTH.

I dislike Easter and hate trying to make up baskets.

My big kids will get a small amount of money attached to a lollipop as part of the little kids' surprise (growing giant swirl lollipops from jellybeans).

Edited by joannqn