Menu

13 yo DS and teeth brushing

Should a 13 yo boy think to brush his teeth in 4 days time?  

1. 1. Should a 13 yo boy think to brush his teeth in 4 days time?

• Yes, he should have unpacked his toothbrush and used it.
    • No, I would not expect my son to find his toothbrush
    • Peeta

:ack2:

It's hard for me to know how to vote. I would expect it, yes, but I would not be surprised when it didn't happen.

:iagree: :lol: Ds has to be reminded almost daily of basic hygiene - take a shower...brush your teeth...he goes to camp in two weeks and I can just imagine how he'll return!

Would I expect it? Yes.

Having a 13 year old boy myself, do I believe that the same thing would happen here? Yes. :glare:

(Except that he has braces right now, which IS actually causing him to pay more attention, as having stuff stuck in them does bother him enough to make him brush.)

I have a similar story about dss. When he was 13, he had a 6 month checkup at the dentist, and they found a cavity. Well, he had been getting cavities regularly for a while, and his mom was NOT happy. So when she got home from the cleaning visit, and put his toothbrush in a particular position, and monitored it. Four or so days went by, and dss had not moved his toothbrush. :ack2: His mom called him on it. She was NOT pleased, to say the least. He had JUST been told he had yet ANOTHER cavity at the dentist, and he STILL wasn't brushing.

She made him pay the $20 co-pay for that filling out of his own money. And she called to let me and dad know what was going on, so we could help be on him about brushing.

He's much better about it now. :D

Would I expect it? Yes.

Having a 13 year old boy myself, do I believe that the same thing would happen here? Yes. :glare:

(Except that he has braces right now, which IS actually causing him to pay more attention, as having stuff stuck in them does bother him enough to make him brush.)

I voted wrong. I agree with this except I don't have a 13 yr old boy yet but I can imagine this will happen. I remember being a 13 yr old girl and not caring where my toothbrush was for days :001_unsure:

That's a tough age, because they're too big to old down while you brush their teeth for them. All you can do is stand there and watch them scrub for a certain number of minutes (two, at our house).

My daughter had braces for three years. I took her to the dentist for a cleaning every single month during those three years, because I knew she wasn't going to do a good job on her own. I'm glad I did that.

You're just going to have to be intrusive in your son's life -- more intrusive than he'll want you to be. You may have to stand at the bathroom door every evening until he has proven that he will brush his teeth and do a good job of it.

:ack2:

It's hard for me to know how to vote. I would expect it, yes, but I would not be surprised when it didn't happen.

:iagree::lol: My 7yo dd couldn't find her toothpaste, so she just started brushing with ACT instead of asking for another tube, or help finding hers. :confused:

My daughter was 10 when she forgot to pack her toothbrush back up at the end of a trip. It was 3 weeks later when I asked her where her toothbrush was--she'd been brushing with her finger for nearly a month. Apparently it never occurred to her that there are more toothbrushes in the world. :banghead:

Can I just say this thread had me laughing out loud for real.

I *JUST* had this fight with dd12 today. SHe is packing for camp, so I say go brush your teeth and then pack your toothbrush.

SHe asks where her toothbrush is. What?? It should be in the cup next to the sink. She says it's not there. So I ask where she put it when she brushed yesterday. She tells me she did not brush yesterday. So I ask her when the last time she brushed was. Apparently at her dad's where she now thinks she forgot her toothbrush. Okay, Dad's house was 12 days ago. EWWWWW!

Yeah she just brushed with a brand new tooth brush, and packed and got a huge lecture. THank goodness they are due for their cleanings and checkups at the dentist.

The thing that gets me is I have sent her everyday to brush her teeth in those 12 days and she never said a word. Apparently I am going to have to do toothbrush checks to be sure they have them when I remind them to brush.

My 13yo dd did the same thing. I was disgusted.

Things changed after she got her first cavity. I showed her the bill. I told her that I would pay this one but from now on she pays for her fillings. I provide ample reminders, toothbrushes, dental floss and toothpaste. I have done my part and she now must do hers. She has been great since.