Menu

AAS/AAR vs. PAL vs. Phonics Road....trying to decide tonight!

besroma

I'm having a VERY hard time deciding between these to teach phonics, reading, spelling, etc. So many people seem to love each one of them.

My children are ages 4, 6, 8, and 10.

I would love any recommendations from those who have tried them and have chosen one over the other and why.

Thanks!

It is true of every method and product: lots of people love it, lots of people hate it. :lol:

I'm a Spalding fan. The author of Phonics Road got her start with Spalding, BTW. And if you look carefully at AAR, you'll see its resemblance to Spalding, too.

I like Spalding because it works; because it has been successfully used for over 50 years; because once you get past the learning curve on your part, it's very simple to implement; because it's inexpensive (one manual--WRTR; one set of phonogram cards; possibly a Spelling Assessment Manual; odds and ends of things you can get if you want to, but you buy them just once).

I've used both Phonics Road and AAS.

I think that Phonics Road is too much for a 4 or 6 year old unless they are very advanced. The material is presented too quickly and not systematically enough for the little ones. After the vowel, consonant and vowel/consonant teams are introduced the child starts spelling a long list of words each week. They have to apply multiple spelling rules each week in no particular order.

AAS uses a slower, more systematic progression. It worked better for my son. Se started PR when he was six going very slowly. We switched to AAS when he was 7. AAS felt like a breath of fresh air...so painless for the teacher as it is scripted. Phonics Road was a burden to use with those DVDs.

I think the advantage to PR is that it's a comprehensive language arts program. I, however, am a fan of AAS, OGPTR, FLL and WWE, so I'm not looking for a comprehensive program.

IMHO, the combination of OGPTR and AAS is hard to beat in teaching a child phonics. I have not done AAR with my son.

I have nothing profound to say, but I have used AAS 1-4 and we are starting 5 next week. It has really, really helped my terrible speller!

I was so impressed, I bought AAR pre-level 1 for my youngest, and am about to buy Level 1 next week.

We find it easy to implement, enjoyable, and effective. Can't ask for much more than that. Also, Ziggy with AAR has been extremely motivating, my son ADORES Ziggy and her funny games, and will do ANYTHING Ziggy asks! True love! (in fact, Ziggy can get him to do anything school-related, but she also convinced my son to go to the basement in the dark, with the spiders, to get something for mom. Mom had asked and he refused with tears, but as soon as Ziggy asked and offered to go with him, my son trotted off to the basement with Ziggy in hand.)

He loves school time, which he now calls "Ziggy-time!"

I'm doing AAR Pre-Level 1 with my two youngest (3 & 4) this year, and AAR Level 1 with my eldest (6).

I'll also be doing AAS with Miss 6. She'll start AAS when she's about halfway through Level 1 of AAR,

AAS goes a bit slow for reading, AAR is the one meant for reading, due to this the correlations set up better if you use AAS behind AAR.

No idea about PAL or Phonics road though.

Others we've tried (and disliked for personal reasons, so may suit your family) are Explode the Code, Happy Phonics & The Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading.

I tried Phonics Road....and couldn't get past watching the DVDs. I needed more structure than that and I do agree it's for a more advanced child.

I currently use AAS with my 2 oldest. Love it.

I think AAR is a great program! I had to change it up for my DS5 though. We settled on PAL and at this point, it is our favorite program around here! Were using PAL reading and the PAL writing component. I know some people will say they don't like the Blended sight sound method....but it is doing wonders for my son:001_smile:

I absolutely love Phonics Road! My ds is 5, and I don't think of him as super advanced, but he does wonderfully with the program. His reading has advanced very quickly WITH Phonics Road however. As far as the videos, he always wants to watch them with me, so that's how we start the week - watching Mrs. Beers :)

And I chose Phonics Road in part because it's all there....a complete Language Arts program. I love not having to put together several different parts and plan for several different things. It's all in one.

Edited by mandymom

I am using PR and have looked at AAS because of the tactile aspect of moving the tiles, etc. I also love Right Start math because it is scripted. For PR, I watch the videos and rake notes, but I do wish that things were written down for me.

I've also just started reading the book The Logic of English on my Kindle. There is also a curriculum for that which integrates spelling, composition, and vocabulary. It has a games book as well. I know I can't buy all three of these programs to try them out next year, so I am prayerfully considering what will be best :)

I've also just started reading the book The Logic of English on my Kindle. There is also a curriculum for that which integrates spelling, composition, and vocabulary. It has a games book as well. I know I can't buy all three of these programs to try them out next year, so I am prayerfully considering what will be best :)

:iagree:I am looking at LOE also! So many good ones to choose from!

I really like Phonics Road.

I have tried to use AAS twice and while it is systematic, it is really slow. Level 1 of PR covers about the same amount of material as in AAS levels 1-3.

I do use the AAS tiles for my youngest guy to practice spelling words.

I love the way handwriting is taught with PR.

The WRTR book by Spalding is great, too. I am reading it again and it is really helping me see why we are doing the things we are doing in Phonics Road. It has been a great way to connect all of the dots.

I think that Phonics Road is too much for a 4 or 6 year old unless they are very advanced. The material is presented too quickly and not systematically enough for the little ones. After the vowel, consonant and vowel/consonant teams are introduced the child starts spelling a long list of words each week. They have to apply multiple spelling rules each week in no particular order.

I disagree with this. My first grader was a new 6 when we started using PR1 last fall. She has flourished with this program. Once the letter teams are learned solidly and the Rule Tunes sung over and over and over again each week as you apply them to spelling words everything "clicks". Some of the Building Codes are challenging to master but mastery isn't expected in PR1 (at least I am not expecting mastery, I am introducing them knowing they will come up over and over again in later levels of the program).

My daughter started out barely reading BOB level books and is now reading on a second grade level. Through testing we've discovered that she's mostly likely dyslexic and has dysgraphia. Without PR I doubt she'd be reading much at all. PR has given her confidence and the ability to read and spell. My daughter is bright and hard-working, but not advanced academically. We're definitely sticking with PR! :)

Edited by drexel

I've used AAS 1-5 with various children and Phonics Road. I prefer Phonics Road. I haven't found PR to be too advanced. My 5yo begged to start it when she was 4.5. We've just moved at her pace. I love PR because it is thorough and efficient. Spending 15-20 minutes to accomplish spelling/phonics, handwriting, grammar, and reading is awesome. :)

Here is my review of PR:

http://classicalhouseoflearning.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/phonics-road-how-i-love-thee/

I have owned Phonics Road 1 and COULD NOT make it work. The DVDs didn't work for me, I need something written down on paper, and there just wasn't enough on paper for me - it was all on DVD but I don't learn to teach well that way. Give me words. Please.

We have successfully used AAS and AAR, scripted, open and go, SO effective, works. Awesome.

Well, to throw a kink in the train of thought... My olders used AAS 1 and part of 2 before I found and moved all my DD's to PR (currently oldest in PR4 and twins almost finished with PR2). For my DS6 I started with PAL Reading and AAS1, using the marking and rules that overlap with PR. For him it was nice that he got a handle on the marking using the worksheets in PAL before he was expected to write much. He loved the farm theme and the file folder games. The worksheets helped with his fine motor skills, some would call cutting, pasting, and marking sentences busy work but they served a much needed purposed for this child. Now he is working with PR1 without any problems. AAS was a gentle intro, but I :001_wub: PR, especially now that I'm almost done with all the videos. ;)

Update: I ordered AAS and AAR to try out. I think I will really like them.

I'm still considering PR and LOE, perhaps for my older children, so I am still researching those.

I am checking out WRTR at the library to read. I also ordered "Understanding the Logic of English."

Thanks for all of the advice!

I know you ordered already but...

I use PR, I think it works well for my daughter, but neither of us love it. We got on the reading/spelling boat too early for PAL...

However, I have several friends using PAL and do so at my recommendation. PAL is an amazing program. All three families that I know VERY well using it are thrilled... One has two daughters learning together from it. All four children 5-7 are loving the program and begging for more. The seven year old is on the 3rd phonics program and come into with distrust and lack on enthusiasm for anything to do with reading, spelling or writing. Now, BEGGING for more!

I honestly would suggest you try it. I know you can get the rest of what you need without ordering more of AAS, not sure if you are SET on AAR, but please check this out. I make NOTHING for recommending PAL... I just know it works and as someone who has taught reading to classroom students for 12 years, this program is TOPS!

I nearly dumped PR for my DD when PAL came out, but she was already starting with yr two, doing VERY well and has a big brother who was completing Bridge and getting ready to start Latin Road... she wanted to follow in his footsteps. Plus, she had already gleamed a lot of IEW from sitting in and doing assignments with brother!

Regardless, best of luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest Violinmama

I started out with Phonics Road for 3 years, but also found the pace to be too much for a K or 1st grader. It can also requires a lot of writing, and can get very boring and repetitive simply doing spelling lists every week. I did really like the grammar in level 2--great way of marking sentences.

With my 3rd child, I switched to PAL of LOVE IT! It is so much fun and has so much variety. I love the use of poetry, the creative worksheets, and the games make learning painless! My fourth child, a four year old, has just tagged along and is already reading as well. We love the AAS curriculum, and I have switched to using that for my older children as well.

what is PAL?

sorry...i searched the abbreviations, but couldn't find PAL... :confused:

Primary Arts of Language by IEW http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/pal

"Based on Anna Ingham’s award-winning Blended Sound-Sight System of Learning, Primary Arts of Language provides everything you need to start your primary grade students (K–2) reading and writing".

The reading and writing portion can be used separately or together and can be used with AAS.

• 3 months later...

I could see PR being good for all of those ages - though the speed would be different for a 5 year old vs a 10 year old... when I used it, I just watched the DVD with my son, rather than watching it myself and trying to teach him. Maybe for you that would be better, though, since you could then do differentiated instruction.