Menu

What age for Little Women?

I think the title is self-explanatory. :001_smile: Do you think an almost 8 yo little girl would be able to enjoy listening to this story or should I wait until she's older? Some of her favorites are Secret Garden, Little Princess, Harriet the Spy, and Matilda.

We did it as a read aloud when we were studying that history era, so my kids were probably 10 and 7. I do remember thinking that the language was a little hard to understand at times--it worked as a read aloud but I don't think they could have understood it reading on their own. They did enjoy it.

We read the Whole Story edition which has a lot of side notes (they're interesting but can be distracting). This edition is Little Women as originally published which is one year in their life. It ends when father comes home at Christmas. Beth doesn't die, I don't think Jo has turned down Laurie, etc. She wrote that part later, but it is usually added on to the original book when published now.

Edited by Ali in OR

I think the title is self-explanatory. :001_smile: Do you think an almost 8 yo little girl would be able to enjoy listening to this story or should I wait until she's older? Some of her favorites are Secret Garden, Little Princess, Harriet the Spy, and Matilda.

Mine sure did! :) I would not wait if you think she has interest. It is a great story!

We started as a read-aloud when our oldest was 8. We read it again as a family every few years. The kids get different things out of it depending on their age.

We have them read it as required reading for grade 5/6.

We also have the Focus on the Family Radio Theater version, so they are familiar with the story at a young age.

I think she'd enjoy it now. She can re-read it when she's older, too.

Yes! My dc were 7, 9 and 11 yo when I read Little Women to them. My youngest (girl) loved it from the start, and she handled the sad parts well. My sons were very reluctant - after all, how good could the book be with the title of Little Women? But the second day my sons asked when I would be reading, and the third day one ds brought me the book and asked me to read. So yes, your dd is certainly in the age range to like the book.

My dd reread the book on her own when she got older, then declared that Jo married the wrong man, so she didn't like the book anymore. But she tends to be opinionated, and she did have facts from the novel to back up her opinion. She did enjoy it a lot when she was 7 yo, though.

My (then) 10 and 6 year olds listened to the audiobook repeatedly in the car last summer. They all enjoyed it quite a bit. My daughter had read the abridged version multiple times prior to that.

They also enjoyed Little House in the Big Woods on audio.

I read it when I was 10 and liked it well enough, but I like it much much better as an adult. So 8 would probably be fine if she wants to, but she probably won't get the most out of it until she's older.

:iagree:

Little Women was my mother's favorite book. I tried reading it as a child (9 I think) and hated it. My dd tried it about the same age and gave up part way through, too boring. I read it as an adult and LOVED it. I will definitely encourage my dd to try it again when she is older. I don't think she would have enjoyed it as a RA because it is long and doesn't move quickly. It is a lovely story though.