Menu

Which thesaurus?

I am pretty sure this is the one SWB recommends for WWS:

http://www.amazon.com/Rogets-International-Thesaurus-7th-Edition/dp/0061715220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332272833&sr=8-1

We like it a lot. You need to read the section on How to Use This Book. There are also lessons on how to use it in WWS.

I just ordered this one. I have a paperback MW, but it just doesn't give enough options. I've never used a Roget's before, I've always refiled it on the shelf at the store, so I'm hoping it will benefit ds and me. We'll learn together.

I have the Roget's International Thesaurus on reserve at the library so I can see what it's like. It's about 1200 pages, and I really don't think dd will like using it. When we did the dictionary skills lessons at the end of FLL4, she really hated using my MW Collegiate dictionary because the print was so small and the book was so unwieldy for her.

I also put on reserve the Roget's Children's and Roget's Student thesauri, just to see whether those would be acceptable.

Tara

I am pretty sure this is the one SWB recommends for WWS:

http://www.amazon.com/Rogets-International-Thesaurus-7th-Edition/dp/0061715220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332272833&sr=8-1

We like it a lot. You need to read the section on How to Use This Book. There are also lessons on how to use it in WWS.

I think that is the one she recommends but the exercises in WWS come from the older 4th edition if memory serves.

It is old fashioned but effective. I did find my kids outgrew a children's thesaurus by late elementary grades.

I just want to give a heads up about buying a thesaurus. I sent my dh to the local bookstore to pick up a thesaurus for my dd, age 13. Now, I am not conservative by any means, but when I flipped through the book I was shocked. There are tons of words/phrases that are questionable for a 13-year-old to be reading. There is a whole section on one particular word that has everything known to man written in there, all kinds of phrases that I would not want my kid looking at, maybe if she was in college it would be okay at that point. I flipped through the book and there are several questionable words throughout the book. I guess this particular thesaurus is for adults. The title of the thesaurus is Roget's Super Thesaurus, 4th edition. Maybe the "super" is all that other stuff I don't want my kid to read. Now I am trying to find a normal thesaurus for a kid to use, not sure what I am going to get, but I will definitely be looking at the next one I buy in person. If anybody has any recommendations let me know.

I have Rodale's Synonym Finder ...

A third vote for the Synonym Finder. (I've also been known to send it to college bound high schoolers as a high school graduation gift.)

Regards,

Kareni

We have Rodale's Synonym Finder as well as Funk and Wagnalls Standard Handbook of Synonyms, Antonyms and Prepositions.

Which thesaurus do you have for your middle-grade writer? I pulled out my old Roget's College Thesaurus, and it's terrible. (Of course, it's about a million years old ...)

Tara