Menu

Colorado people - help!

My niece is 21, and a college student at Ohio State. Her mom (my sister) moved out here to Phoenix to be close to me and my mom, but my niece prefers colder weather and 4 distinct seasons (we have two seasons: beautiful and hot!). She thinks she is in love with Colorado, although she's never been there, and is considering moving there after she gets out of university (in a couple of years).

Due to some personal issues, she is taking spring quarter off of school, and will be in Phoenix from April-June. I thought I would drive her up to CO so she could look around and see what it's really like. Since she has never been to CO, and I'm trying to figure out what type of city would be her best bet.

Her style: she's a bit of a hipster, non-religious, loves music and outdoor concerts (bands like Black Keys, older groups like Janis Joplin & the Beatles), will be working in either education, social work, or something completely different. :tongue_smilie:

I only know Denver (not much) and Durango (I've stayed there at least!). Based on what I've told you, where should we visit? Durango is nice because it's about a 7 hours drive from here, where Denver is 13. But I don't know if Durango is "happening" enough.

Any advice would be welcome!

Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs (surprisingly).

And like someone else said, there are numerous smaller, mountain towns that are more hippie-esque.

Keep in mind that although we do have 4 distinct seasons, they frequently all happen in one week, and occasionally in one day :tongue_smilie:

And like someone else said, there are numerous smaller, mountain towns that are more hippie-esque.

Keep in mind that although we do have 4 distinct seasons, they frequently all happen in one week, and occasionally in one day :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Thanks! As you can tell, for some reason CO is a state I haven't spent any time in. I've lived in 4 states & also overseas, so perhaps it's high time I visit my neighbor to the north! :)

Boulder, here we come.....

:iagree: Boulder (very liberal), Colorado Springs (more conservative, lots of military, Fort Collins (a bit of both with a good "college" feel)

I think we'll head up there in May sometime, to avoid any last-minute snowfall. :tongue_smilie:

I like the sound of Boulder - not too big, but happening, and hopefully not too expensive for a just-out-of-college girl who won't be making a ton. If she moves there, my sister will be happy that she's just a long day's drive away..... ;-)

I would second Boulder or Fort Collins - Fort Collins is more affordable. Or, many of the mountain towns are very hipster and cool. Try to visit Steamboat, Estes Park, or any of the ski towns off season to pick up on the local culture.

Thanks! That's the kind of vibe she's going for, and I appreciate the specific names of places to check out.

The fun thing about Boulder, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs is that they are all "college" towns (or Air Force Academy town). That really adds to a hip, non-stagnant feel. The towns bop in the evening, especially on the weekends. Farmers markets, music in the parks, fun restaurants, funky shops, and interesting "intellectual" types abound. Add to that the fact that everyone of these towns are extremely close to the mountains with hiking, biking, and the great outdoors. Also, Denver is within an hour or two at the most from all of these towns. Museums, amusement, a major airport, fine arts, and Lodo are all fairly close.

I have lived on both sides of the US and the middle is the best!!

The fun thing about Boulder, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs is that they are all "college" towns (or Air Force Academy town). That really adds to a hip, non-stagnant feel. The towns bop in the evening, especially on the weekends. Farmers markets, music in the parks, fun restaurants, funky shops, and interesting "intellectual" types abound. Add to that the fact that everyone of these towns are extremely close to the mountains with hiking, biking, and the great outdoors. Also, Denver is within an hour or two at the most from all of these towns. Museums, amusement, a major airport, fine arts, and Lodo are all fairly close.

I have lived on both sides of the US and the middle is the best!!

CSprings is also home to University of Colorado, Colorado Springs and Colorado College.

This is *such* an easy question: Boulder.
Yep, I'd agree with this!

They also fluctuate. So in that sense I wouldn't say the seasons are super distinct. It might go winter, spring, winter, SUPER winter, spring, winter, spring, winter, spring, summer, spring, winter, spring, summer, spring, summer, etc.

For example, 2009 4th of July we literally wore winter coats to the fireworks because it was in the 40s at night.:001_huh:

I honestly can't stand the weather because when it snows I want it to stay snowy and cold for a while. And I like good spring thunderstorms.

Oh, that's another thing she needs to consider: does she like rain/storms?

Oh, that's another thing she needs to consider: does she like rain/storms?

She does, but from we've read, CO gets lots of lots of sunny days, similar to AZ (where I live now). Is that true? She absolutely loves mountains (being from Ohio and all), and loves to hike. I could see her getting into skiing - she's athletic.

I'm getting excited about our road trip!

She does, but from we've read, CO gets lots of lots of sunny days, similar to AZ (where I live now). Is that true? She absolutely loves mountains (being from Ohio and all), and loves to hike. I could see her getting into skiing - she's athletic.

I'm getting excited about our road trip!

It is sunny here all the time! Much, much more sun than Ohio. Colorado is pretty great. Some other perks are there aren't many pesky bugs, there are beautiful days smack dab in the middle of winter, and the summers aren't humid. Oh and the winter cold is very different than Ohio's winter cold. It doesn't feel as cold because there is less moisture in the air and the snow doesn't stick around unless you live in the mountains. You also don't have slushy, dreary, wet days.

CSprings is also home to University of Colorado, Colorado Springs and Colorado College.

I mentioned the Air Force Academy separately because of all the cute young gentlemen in their uniforms. I guess I was remembering back to what I would have found interesting in a town when I was a young single gal.:lol:

I mentioned the Air Force Academy separately because of all the cute young gentlemen in their uniforms. I guess I was remembering back to what I would have found interesting in a town when I was a young single gal.:lol:

LOL too funny! Well if you* have a hankering for young men in uniform you can find every service (except maybe Coast Guard?), including Canadian, here!

ETA: * General 'you' of course! :lol:

Yes! There is a very large air force base near the town in Ohio where I'm originally from, and who didn't like going to the club and seeing those boys in uniform?? :001_wub: