Menu

Ideal laundry area?

My ideal laundry is on the same level as the sleeping quarters so there is not much moving laundry up or down stairs. It had a stacked washer and dryer, front loading, a bar set into studs for hanging clean laundry AND a nice sized table at waist height for folding laundry. There would be a shelf over the table to put things like a pile of folded shirts.

In the corner of the house, so there are nice windows, southern exposure so good light comes in. Plenty of counters, 3" taller than regular, and one area, deeper for folding ease. Laundry baskets that pull out of shelves, to put clean things into, plus a six basket system on shelves to sort the dirty laundry. (I have this already, in a tiny pantry/laundry.) Two dryers with one washer, so I can roll thru the laundry. A counter area to set up my sewing machine to do repairs. A small TV to have Netflix running on some old TV series, to keep me entertained while I do laundry, boring enough to turn off and head out when I'm done.

Mine is close to perfect for me. Converted the old garage into a laundry room so it's huge. I've got shelves above the washer and dryer, and on one side is a big hanging apparatus with wheels so everything is hung up immediately, and on the other side is a table for foldables. And I have a four sectioned laundry basket thingy, also on wheels to wheel back to the kids room and sort right off the floor or wherever. I have a tv in there to watch if I get stuck in there with piles to fold.

But the best thing in my laundry room is the two girls who do 90% of the work.

First floor, bright, lots of windows, lots of storage space, counter for folding, etc...

If I were to post a picture of an ideal laundry room I'd have to pull one from the net because I've never lived in a house with an ideal laundry room.

This one looks nice. :001_smile:

That's beautiful--and it's also bigger than most people's kitchens.

What on earth would anyone put in all those cabinets? :confused:

In my laundry room I have: a washer, dryer, the hot water heater and two tiny useless closets. One holds dog food and the other has returnables, a bucket and mop.

On a shelf above the washer and dryer there is detergent, fabric softener, stain remover, two sizes of garbage bags, two flashlights and one of those long lighters for relighting the water heater when the wind blows just the right way to make it go out (now THAT I would change! :tongue_smilie:).

Behind the door is an over-the-door thing I made to hold winter accessories.

On the wall there are coat hooks holding coats, dog leashes etc.

I do wish it were bigger and had a window. I'm just not sure I could give premium space to a laundry room. Anything but a garage or basement would do for me (not that we have a garage...).

That's beautiful--and it's also bigger than most people's kitchens.

What on earth would anyone put in all those cabinets? :confused:

I used to housesit for a couple whose laundry room was in the hallway that led back to a large mudroom. It was more of a "dog room," as that is where their great big dogs ran around, had their food & water, and had a dog door that led out into the back yard. That room was more than twice as big as their kitchen. I could easily see that room converted into a laundry room by different owners (if the laundry wasn't already where it is, which is not a bad spot).

As for what I'd put in the cabinets, I have plenty of stuff. It doesn't have to be all laundry-related.

We want to redo ours, but right now the washing machine and utility sink are right off the kitchen in the laundry room. The dryer is on the opposite wall. In the garage. On a cement floor. I would like to smack whoever came up with this plan. Anyway, more pictures and ideas please.:)

Is the dryer loud since it's on the cement floor? Maybe the put it in the garage to keep from heating up the house?

I can tell you the totally NOT ideal laundry area.

In the basement, on a concrete floor that gets wet when it rains. I never had something that even came close to an ideal laundry area. I also don't want to think about one - since I wouldn't ever have one.

LOL - me too.

I have a galley type laundry room. It's bright enough and on the main floor. But, there's NO space to lay laundry baskets or sort laundry... none. And it's right off the garage, so when the laundry starts to pile up (as it always does) I have to go through an obstacle course to get to the garage. I had it in my last house and it was one of the things I was hoping to change...but alas. Fortunately, this one is fixable once we have some $$ and time to change things around.

Oh, add to my ideal laundry: a mud-room kind of area. A wall for husband to hang his huge number of coats and coveralls, line up boots PLUS (and this is a real dream) a tile 4' x 4' corner, with shower head (for possible showering) but mainly, a hose and nozzle for dog washing. Dog washing is hard to do in the tub.

LOL - me too.

I have a galley type laundry room. It's bright enough and on the main floor. But, there's NO space to lay laundry baskets or sort laundry... none. And it's right off the garage, so when the laundry starts to pile up (as it always does) I have to go through an obstacle course to get to the garage. I had it in my last house and it was one of the things I was hoping to change...but alas. Fortunately, this one is fixable once we have some $$ and time to change things around.

My SIL has the worse laundry room I have ever seen.

To get to it she has to pull out some kitchen cupboards on wheels, then lift up a trap door in the floor. Go down six steps, making sure to duck. Walk across a basement that is only about 4 feet high. When she gets to the washer she can't open the lid all the way since the ceiling is so low.

So if you are having laundry room envy think of my SIL and hopefully smile cause your room is so nice in comparison.

My SIL has the worse laundry room I have ever seen.

To get to it she has to pull out some kitchen cupboards on wheels, then lift up a trap door in the floor. Go down six steps, making sure to duck. Walk across a basement that is only about 4 feet high. When she gets to the washer she can't open the lid all the way since the ceiling is so low.

So if you are having laundry room envy think of my SIL and hopefully smile cause your room is so nice in comparison.

How in the world did they get the machines down there? Did they build the house over/around them?!!!

I have had big laundry rooms and small laundry rooms. I prefer one that is NOT in the kitchen.

My current one is pretty small, but has a great hanging space over the side by side machines - love that. I also like that it's not too big. When I had big ones, they just kind of encouraged me to fill 'em up, kwim? With a small one, I can do a load from start to finish and not hoard anything in the laundry room (hehe, in theory, anyway:D).

I would gladly take a big one like Remudamom's or the linked photo.

How in the world did they get the machines down there? Did they build the house over/around them?!!!

I have had big laundry rooms and small laundry rooms. I prefer one that is NOT in the kitchen.

My current one is pretty small, but has a great hanging space over the side by side machines - love that. I also like that it's not too big. When I had big ones, they just kind of encouraged me to fill 'em up, kwim? With a small one, I can do a load from start to finish and not hoard anything in the laundry room (hehe, in theory, anyway:D).

I would gladly take a big one like Remudamom's or the linked photo.

They had some big doors on the outside of the house that opened up to the basement. I think it's the kind of doors that lead to a storm shelter. They are on the ground and when you open them you go down several steps to the basement.