Menu

In case this is helpful: TOG and learning levels

1bassoon

Hey folks!

I don't hang around this board much, but just thought I'd poke my (virtual) head in and say hi!

I've been using TOG for 6 years now, and finally got off my (virtual) duff and have started writing a series about how it works in our family. This might prove helpful to some of you, so I'll link the first two posts in the series:

How It Works for Us

TOG for Rhetoric Students

Hope this helps someone!

(And for the record: My blogs earn me no money. They're not even that interesting. I'm not an employee of Tapestry/Lampstand Press. Well, I do represent them at the Alabama convention. And I think if you click on some link somewhere on my blog that takes you to Tapestry's website, I might make, like, .50 or something if you buy something. Which no one ever seems to do. And which you certainly don't have to do. There. Full disclosure!)

You actually make it seem doable, which is why I walked away the first time we used it...I never could figure out how TOG would logistically work with multiple age groups.

Keep posting. You might convert me to TOG again because I REALLY wanted it to work the first time we tried :001_smile:

Aw. . . . .:blush:

Thanks, y'all!

To answer a couple of questions:

My youngest is 7 - so I'm out of the toddler/preschool fog years :)

Yup, I'm a Circa junkie. Got it about 2-3 years ago, and I really love the system.

I think my point in all these posts is to put "shoe leather" on TOG. I mean, really - we're having kind of a hard year. I'm not doing maps (almost at all), vocabulary is pretty much a flunky. Only my oldest is really doing Church History, and he's not even doing Government or Philosophy. We're just plugging away with History, Literature, and Writing.

And I still love it ;) It works for us, as we need it to.

Headed for vacation, but hopefully will post more in the series soon!

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

I think my point in all these posts is to put "shoe leather" on TOG. I mean, really - we're having kind of a hard year. I'm not doing maps (almost at all), vocabulary is pretty much a flunky. Only my oldest is really doing Church History, and he's not even doing Government or Philosophy. We're just plugging away with History, Literature, and Writing.

And I still love it ;) It works for us, as we need it to.

Thanks for the posts, Heather. I love the way you are making TOG work for you. I use TOG so lightly that I kind of hate even posting about it.:tongue_smilie:The thing is though, *I* am happy using TOG this way, my kids enjoy history, it gets done, and we are all learning a ton (yes I am learning a ton reading the lower grammar history books:lol:) I SOOO look forward to my next cycle through TOG with older kids because I know that is where it really shines. Thanks again, I look forward to more posts.:)

I use TOG so lightly that I kind of hate even posting about it.:tongue_smilie:The thing is though, *I* am happy using TOG this way

Thanks for posting this, Tracy. I feel the same way - and actually, that's why I've put this series off for so long!

I have heard people say, "I can't believe you use Tapestry! I could NEVER do that!" But then I feel guilty. . I mean, we're just barely hanging on some years. But that's the beauty of TOG: you do what the Lord leads you to, what your family needs, what works for your combination of kids and your family situation.

It's the comparison game that gets us in trouble. Every. Single. Time. (And someday I'll learn that, ya know?)

Anywho. Y'all inspired me, I've started my dialectic post AND we're leaving for vacation today!!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Thank you! I am going to read all of your TOG posts and might have some additional questions for you. :)

I have 4 elementary schoolers, ranging from Pre-K to 4th grade this year, plus 3 younger boys (3, 2, 1) and a baby on the way. My older kids have always used and loved SOTW. It's easy and fun now when all the kids are elementary and below, but I am starting to worry about how I will balance things in a few years when I have high school kids, jr high kids, elementary kids...

I have considered TOG because of this, but I have been overwhelmed by all the material and put off a little by the price. (To be clear, I don't mind investing in a fabulous program that I will use for all the kids. I just don't want to put that much money into something that might not work out for us.)

I really appreciate your posts and hopefully they will help me gain some insight and direction. I'd love to hear anything else that you have to say! Thanks!

Melissa :)

I've been thinking of questions to ask. Here are two that deal with concerns I have about TOG:

1) I am a "schedule everything" homeschool mom. I plan out 12 weeks in advance and everything is completely ready to go- planned, printed/copied, organized, filed. It's the easiest way for me to make sure that everything gets done for everyone. I read on another TOG thread that TOG wouldn't work well for someone who likes to schedule in advance. I'm curious what you think about this.

2) I am a little concerned about TOG because I already know that I don't favor a guide-style book. I prefer a little more "meat" I guess. So a book that says: "Read about ____. Write about what you read. Draw a map." for every lesson plan would not be a good fit for me. If the lessons and assignments were more in depth and engaging and offered more resource ideas, I'd be fine.

Thanks!

Also, I'd love it if you'd share an example week. I already read through the general structure of TOG at your house and found it very helpful. I'd really enjoy a detailed week-plan. What did the kids read? What projects did they do? etc

Thank you again for your help! I have poured over old threads looking for families implementing TOG with older kids and younger ones. Your post came at just the right time. :)

It IS helpful! Thanks for posting. I see you are using the circa notebook system from Levenger...I'm thinking about investing in this.

Make sure you check out the Staple arc system. Their version is cheaper than Levenger and is totally compatible (not to mention no ship cost if you have a Staples locally).

Whatever you do STAY FAR AWAY from the Rollabind website. They still owe me $70 on a supposedly back ordered product; I have been calling them monthly for a year now and have only received bad customer service.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...