Menu

totally frivolous hair dye?

dd14 wants to dye her hair. She wants to dye it a bight or silly color. I told her she could do this, but with a the kind of dye that washes out over time.

She will be cutting her hair short. At least above the shoulder, which is enough to send 12 inches to locks of love. I think her hair is pretty healthy. Her hair is dark blond.

Anyway, I need to find something that is easy to use for someone who has never done this before. A young woman I know recommended manic panic colors.

How easy is home hair dying. Can she do this without my help. Do we fumble through it together. Does she have to bleach her hair first--the woman who recommended the color said we might need to.

What does this involve.

not an expert by any means and don't know anything about the "panic colors"....I've mainly always done my hair myself at home-I started coloring it at 13ish----I don't think she would need any kind of bleaching unless she was going ultra blonde? and it doesn't sound like that's what she wants....I have only used "regular" hair colors on my hair like lighter blonde or going to a darker brown color-never any FUN colors--I would think that maybe the two of you might have to do it the first time and she could get the idea of how to do it herself- it's usually been an easy pour this bottle into this bottle-shake well-apply to hair and then time it method from what I've done--I mean sometimes it can be hard to reach the back but other than that it's really easy (at least all that I've used).. and I'm not sure about the other kinds of hair colors but the ones that I use are low or no amonia so I'm sure there are options out there for you-might need to go to a beauty supply store to get a good range of options..back last year we tried to color my son's hair blue (tips on top of his head) but his hair was so dark that we would have had to lighten his hair to get it to s how up but I didn't want to do that to him at just 9yrs old so we will wait....can't wait to see pics

I did manic panic (violent violet) when I was in high school. It did not go over well, but that is another story all together.

My hair is blonde, but not light. It turned a very nice shade of violet. It lasted a couple of months. I had a similar effect when I tried to go reddish brown with a normal semi-permanent dye. That washed out in a week or so.

A friends mom did it for me, but I don't think it would have been that difficult to do on my own.

I love that you are okay with this!

We just did DD's hair with Manic Panic (hot pink) a couple weeks ago. I just made a horizontal part from ear to ear and put the top half up in a clip, then put the color on. We did it again the next night.

Her hair was pink for about a week, and now for the last 2 weeks or so it has a dark pink tint.

Her hair is naturally dark blonde, and I didn't bleach it first. No way was I going to do that with her being so young (she's only 6!) but I might let a 14 year old bleach it. Doing the color at home is easy, but the bleaching isn't as easy.

In the end... it's just hair. :D It's fun to play with colors.

We've used Manic Panic, Splat (has bleach included), Color Jamz, and Jerome Russell. DD has liked all equally. They are messy. They stain everything. Some colors more than others. You may or may not have to bleach. DD has dark blonde hair and if she wants bright, she bleaches. If she wants a tint, she doesn't. She has very very thick hair. How long it takes to wash out would depends on the hair. Red/pink takes forever to wash out, fades quickly, but stays faded for an indefinite amount of time. But, pink looks best when it fades, whereas blue, green, and purple look gross. Also, it's been our experience that red/pink takes longer to wash out/fade on bleached hair. One option is to bleach streaks in her hair and then do an allover color. Then you can see what you're working with and the contrast is really cool.

I used manic panic in the bright fushia color to do strips on me and half my girls. One has black hair, I have brown hair and the other one has blonde. It turned out well for all of us. It looked almost red on the dd with the black hair, mine was a bright pink and the blonde's was a less intense pink. It doesn't wash out though. It lasts for several months but it was really easy to do though, much easier than regular hair dye.

My 13yo dd wanted to dye her tips. She has dark brown hair so we had about 3-4 inches of the ends bleached blonde before coloring. The first dye we used was Color Jamz turquoise. Glorious color for the first few days, but it was during the summer so chlorine swimming pool water caused it to quickly fade to a less-than-attractive mint green color. We tried Manic Panic's turquoise also. Again fabulous color for a few days but then faded to something less desirable.

It had faded out quite a bit by December, so she decided to put red over top of the still slightly green ends. We used Color Jamz red (came out sort of a cranberry red) and joked that it was her Christmas hair. Very pretty color. As it faded after a couple of weeks, it went to a deep fuschia, and then to a lovely magenta. I would have to say that the red was definitely prettier as it fades than the turquoise was. However neither color ever faded completely away, even after a few months.

Definitely messy, but I use one of those cheap, felt backed, plastic table cloths and have dd fan her hair out behind her onto the coffee table. Then I "paint" the color on using a color brush. After that, it seems to make the color brighter and last longer if we wrap it up in a plastic baggie and then apply warm towels for about 20 minutes.

Edited by hillfarm