Menu

Beast Math

Momma4Boys

You could probably make it work as either. We're planning to use just the guide books (no workbooks) as a supplement, mainly because DS is already working a bit beyond their levels. But, I have a boy, and these are comic books, so not purchasing wasn't really an option. :D

I was looking at the topics and it appears that they don't cover either time or money. Did I miss something?

3A and 3b are only the first half of third grade. There will eventually be 4 books/workbooks per grade level. I'm guessing the other topics will be in the 2nd half of the grade.

I got the full thing for DD, but expect to use it as a supplement, simply because DD's main math is about 2 grade levels ahead of BA. I'm expecting her to read the books mostly on her own, and then for her to do the harder/fun problems in the workbooks. I don't know that we'll get every single book that comes out, but 3rd grade is a foundational enough year conceptually that I see a real benefit to giving her an incentive to work through them again in a slightly different form, and BA simply looks made for her. Especially Lizzie. If AOPS ever comes out with stuffed math beasts, I suspect we'll have the whole set.

Edited by dmmetler

3A and 3b are only the first half of third grade. There will eventually be 4 books/workbooks per grade level. I'm guessing the other topics will be in the 2nd half of the grade.

I looked at the topics covered in all four parts and there was no mention of time nor money in any of them. I may have Ariel go ahead and work through them, or we may just read through the text. She right on the level for the books that are out, but she's been doing so well with MM that I don't want to completely switch, and it's pretty expensive for a supplement.

I looked at the topics covered in all four parts and there was no mention of time nor money in any of them.

Where are you seeing TOC for C and D? I can't find any. Just A and B.

They did say this on FB:

Each grade level includes the full curriculum from the Common Core State Standards, plus lots of the fun topics that we wish were included.

I'm sure time and money are part of Common Core.

They have brief descriptions of C and D here:

http://www.beastacademy.com/store/product/3b -- scroll to the bottom and descriptions appear in the circles; you can click on them but not much more info displays:

Beast Academy 3C will include chapters on variables, division, and units and measure.

Beast Academy 3D will include chapters on fractions, estimation, and area.

Personally, I think time and money aren't really part of the building blocks that they seem to be establishing. I also don't think that they are particularly conceptually challenging. I think both are pretty easy to supplement either with living math books, MM, or just life.

One could probably throw time and money into the units and measure section... I wouldn't say they don't have it until they post a full TOC (or until you ask them and they say no). Perhaps they'll cover them thoroughly in grade 2?

:iagree: I am thinking that it may have a place in grade 2 vs the grade 3 curriculum. They may touch on it a bit through units/measure like boscopup said though!