Menu

Need a yummy recipe to bake boneless ckn breasts that are MOIST

Mine always turn out so DRY. I need a new way to bake them, even if it's in a sauce or something. The only caveat is not too much fat due to dh's high cholesterol (no cheese, etc).

And this is for tonight, so need ideas with stuff that's generally on hand.

THANKS for any ideas!

The key is to not overcook them, or the liquid will cook out of the chicken (doesn't matter how much liquid is in the pan/baking dish if you overcook them). I lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. I season boneless, skinless chicken breasts (usually still frozen) with whatever (whatever seasoning blend I feel like using--if it doesn't have salt, I add salt). I like to use Adobo. Cover and bake at 350 F for about 30-40 minutes. It may take more time if the chicken breasts are overlapping in the pan, or it may take the minimum time if they are not touching.

ETA: the Adobo I use is Without Pepper. It contains: salt, granulated garlic, tricalcium phosphate to prevent caking, oregano and tumeric. You can use salt, garlic powder, oregano and tumeric if you don't have Adobo. Another good seasoning blend to try is salt and any combination of garlic powder, onion powder, tumeric, and paprika.

Edited by gardening momma

I do poached chicken when I want it moist... I've never been able to bake skinless chicken and have it come out moist. (Poaching means simmering it in just-boiling water or broth. You can dry and spice it afterwards and probably pop it briefly in the oven if you wanted a more oven-y surface texture.)

Pizza Chicken!

put chicken in a pan. Cover with spaghetti or pizza sauce. Sprinkle mozarella cheese on top. Bake. The chicken commes out moist because the sauce keeps it from drying out (also very kid friendly).

Also good is Sticky Chicken (though we usually use legs and thighs for this, it also works with breasts). 1 bottle catalina dressing, 1 pkg dry onion soup, one small jar apple (or other fruit) jelly. Mix together and pour over chicken. Bake until done.

Right now, I'm eating leftover Stuffed Chicken. 1 box stuffing, crabmeat - about 1 can or a cup of shredded if you have fresh crab available. Prepare stuffing per recipe on box, mix in crab. Smash chicken breasts flat with hammer and then put a scoop of stuffing mixture on each chicken. Fold over and put in pan - cover with remaining stuffing. Don't over cook - these cook faster than normal because the chicken is flattened. Yum!

I do poached chicken when I want it moist...

This. I cook it in the oven or the crock pot, in water with a couple of bouillon cubes. Then I don't have to worry about overcooking if we're late coming home from swimming (frequently.)

We also make chicken in barBQ sauce (with extra water) in the crock pot but usually use thighs for that.

:iagree:

I do poached chicken when I want it moist... I've never been able to bake skinless chicken and have it come out moist. (Poaching means simmering it in just-boiling water or broth. You can dry and spice it afterwards and probably pop it briefly in the oven if you wanted a more oven-y surface texture.)

For chicken breasts, I pretty much only do poaching. My dd says I make the best chicken. :) :)

The key to moist chicken is to NOT overcook it. You want it just past pink. Chicken will continue to cook after it's removed from heat.

My favorite moist chicken breast recipe is this one

Grilled Rosemary Chicken

Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts

Equal amounts of a good olive oil and a good balsamic vinegar.

A couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary. Strip leaves off stem and chop.

Mix oil and vinegar in a bowl or plastic zip bag.

Add rosemary.

Trim all excess fat from chicken. Cut in half if desired.

Salt well with seasoned salt.

Add chicken to oil/vinegar mix and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or so. (More time is not necessarily better.)

Grill over meduim hot coals until JUST done.

These are great hot off the grill, terrific over a green salad, or mixed into a chicken salad. I usually grill up a bunch at a time and use them all week in various ways.

Also good is Sticky Chicken (though we usually use legs and thighs for this, it also works with breasts). 1 bottle catalina dressing, 1 pkg dry onion soup, one small jar apple (or other fruit) jelly. Mix together and pour over chicken. Bake until done.

Here's my very similar recipe:

Hazel's Chicken

Mix together ~

1/4 cup oil

8 oz. Russian dressing

1 pkg dry onion soup mix

10 oz. apricot preserves

Coat chicken pieces and place in greased oven-safe bakeware. Pour remaining sauce over chicken and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, uncovered. Baste while cooking.

Serve over rice.

Edited by ccm

Get an instant read thermometer, that stays in the meat and has an alarm that goes off when the meat reaches the programed temp. Set chicken no higher than 180 degrees. Also, let ANY meat rest (5-15 min depending on the meat/size)ofter removing from the oven (do not poke). The meat will relax and the juices will stay in the meat instead of running all over the cutting board.

Soak in milk for 30 min before cooking.

After that, I like to coat with a little paprika and flour and bake. Tastes like classic KFC, but not gross.

I did this with pork chops years ago and it was delicious-I think I will try it!

Lots of other great ideas too to try, thanks!