Menu

Homeschool Algebra credit doens't transfer to high school?

BlueTaelon

We met with our charter school teacher yesterday for our monthly meeting and discussed plans for next year and working over the summer (we do year round) and told her we will finish TT7 about Aug and we may skip pre-alg and go straight into Alg 1 since it seems a number of families are doing so with ease with TT (there is a lot of overlap between 7 and pre-alg and I have a "mathy" kid but I need the ease of the program for ME who is NOT mathy) but I will give her a placement test first before we make the jump. What I was told was shocking, we need to start thinking about high school credit (she's only in 5th!) and have to pick from a list of pre approved Alg courses or the state will not allow them to issue credit for the class and she will have to take Alg again in high school even if she's working at a much much high math level by then. It never occured to me that this could be an issue, I know we will be using a virtual high school for sure but thats still a couple years away so I haven't even considered that we may have to start thinking NOW for next year and what CA considers a high school class thats required for graduation. The teacher has always tested dd's knowledge and understanding separate from her materials and I assumed she would just continue this way but it appears the state is very specific and we must use an approved Alg course. Yes I can keep using TT if I pay out of pocket but the school will require we use school funds to purchase only approved math programs once she hits Alg.

I can't afford this stuff out of pocket so I'm at a loss:( Suggestions? (other then pull out and file a PSA next year?)

You should ask this question on the high school board. This may be a quirk of the particular virtual high school, as far as what they require for a credit.

As far as I know, most high schools require 4 years of high school math at the level of alg 1 and above; it may not be necessary to have an actual credit for alg 1 taken earlier than high school (many kids take alg 1 before high school), as alg 1 is assumed if the student is taking higher level math.

Also, just from reading the high school board, some people use both TT alg 1 and 2 for "alg 1," so I might look further into that, and for a mathy kid I'd consider supplementing.

You should ask this question on the high school board. This may be a quirk of the particular virtual high school, as far as what they require for a credit.

As far as I know, most high schools require 4 years of high school math at the level of alg 1 and above; it may not be necessary to have an actual credit for alg 1 taken earlier than high school (many kids take alg 1 before high school), as alg 1 is assumed if the student is taking higher level math.

Also, just from reading the high school board, some people use both TT alg 1 and 2 for "alg 1," so I might look further into that, and for a mathy kid I'd consider supplementing.

She said its the CA state requirement for all public high schools that they have to take and pass Alg 1 at the min or no graduation. I figured we would just enroll in something like a K12 high school, haven't really looked deeply into it since were only in 5th, I had no idea we would need to start thinking about it NOW. I will look at the HS board about needing to use levels 1 and 2 for = alg 1.

She said its the CA state requirement for all public high schools that they have to take and pass Alg 1 at the min or no graduation. I figured we would just enroll in something like a K12 high school, haven't really looked deeply into it since were only in 5th, I had no idea we would need to start thinking about it NOW. I will look at the HS board about needing to use levels 1 and 2 for = alg 1.

If she said they have to 'take and pass Alg 1 at the minimum' I don't see how this is a problem for you since presumably your child will be taking a much higher level of math during high school. Any child who is taking a much higher level of math is working above the minimum. Did your charter school teacher think you planned to consider your child done with math after completing algebra one? Maybe she just had a 'senior moment'! After all, she likely doesn't have too many kids in her class who are as accelerated as your child. Ask her for a list of 'approved' math courses from algebra II and higher, so you can plan which of those to consider for your daughter's high school years. The rule she quoted stated a minimum. Your child will be well above that even before starting high school.

Edited by Rainefox

This is actually a requirement of the state of California because they have the stupid a-g thing. Definitely find out from your charter school teacher how much of the state approved textbook you would need to do. It's possible that you could just give the end-of-chapter tests and that would suffice.

If we stick with Singapore Discovering Math beyond the 1st book, we will need to supplement with state-approved textbooks.

Keep in mind that getting actual credit for alg 1 is an entirely different matter from meeting graduation requirements. In many states, there might not be an actual credit added to the credit total for courses taken prior to high school. On the other hand, as long as there are four years of math at a level of alg 1 or higher taken during high school, then the graduation requirements may be met.

My understanding is that CA public schools are pushing for all students to take alg 1 by 8th grade, so it seems unlikely that a specific credit for alg 1 would be required for high school graduation.

This is actually a requirement of the state of California because they have the stupid a-g thing. Definitely find out from your charter school teacher how much of the state approved textbook you would need to do. It's possible that you could just give the end-of-chapter tests and that would suffice.

If we stick with Singapore Discovering Math beyond the 1st book, we will need to supplement with state-approved textbooks.

What's the a-g thing? (not that I'm surprised that there would be something stupid, lol)

Do private high schools in CA have to use the state-approved texts too?

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/hs/hsgrmath.asp

© A pupil who, prior to enrollment in grade 9, completes coursework in algebra that meets or exceeds the rigor of the content standards for Algebra I, as adopted by the State Board of Education, is exempt from subdivision (b), but is not exempt from the requirement that the pupil complete two courses in mathematics while enrolled in grades 9 to 12, inclusive, as specified in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 51225.3
Now the question would probably be whether TT Algebra meets or exceeds the content standards for Algebra I. I don't know if it does or not. If it does, you should be fine. If it doesn't, pick an Algebra course that does. There are plenty to choose from, including video courses.

I don't think you'd get "credit" for Algebra I - you still have to do at least 2 math courses in grades 9-12 (and really? Just 2? Even Alabama requires 4!). Here in AL, you don't get credit for courses taken prior to high school, but you can graduate as long as you have taken 4 math courses in high school that include or exceed algebra, geometry, and algebra 2/trig. It looks like CA is similar, except only 2 math courses are required, and Algebra is the minimum that has to be taken.

Thats a good thought, I will ask.

Keep in mind that getting actual credit for alg 1 is an entirely different matter from meeting graduation requirements. In many states, there might not be an actual credit added to the credit total for courses taken prior to high school. On the other hand, as long as there are four years of math at a level of alg 1 or higher taken during high school, then the graduation requirements may be met.

My understanding is that CA public schools are pushing for all students to take alg 1 by 8th grade, so it seems unlikely that a specific credit for alg 1 would be required for high school graduation.

Nope, she said specifically Alg 1. The child must use an approved program and pass it or it doesn't count. Sounded stupid to me that if the child is doing higher math by then they would still have to take alg 1 to meet the state requirements in high school. You gotta remember most public school kids can't pass alg 1 so this is a big deal for CA.

The issue is not when you take algebra but what you use. It has to be an approved algebra course for it to count. Teaching Textbooks is not an approved a-g course, so it will not count.

My understanding is a child does not have to take algebra during the high school years. Many, many students in California take algebra in seventh or eighth grade. My daughter, who is enrolled in a physical charter school, will take algebra in eighth and then take geometry in ninth and so on. This is the track that many of her peers are on. They will all still graduate because the algebra class meets the a-g requirement even though it was taken in 8th grade.

What's the a-g thing? (not that I'm surprised that there would be something stupid, lol)

Do private high schools in CA have to use the state-approved texts too?

Private high schools do have to get their courses approved by the UC Regents. There was a big lawsuit a few years back because the Regents denied approval to a Christian school that used BJU and Abeka textbooks. Unfortunately, the Christian school lost both at the lower level and upon appeal.

This is a California charter school, not a virtual high school.

Ok that makes sense - I was confused because the OP also mentioned a virtual high school.

Private high schools do have to get their courses approved by the UC Regents. There was a big lawsuit a few years back because the Regents denied approval to a Christian school that used BJU and Abeka textbooks. Unfortunately, the Christian school lost both at the lower level and upon appeal.

That is absurd.

This is an interesting topic that I've been thinking about lately as we are in California, as well, with two dds who will be studying algebra 1 topics before high school.

Here's the way I've been thinking about it: I've read the requirements of the California DoE, and it seems that, for those kids who study basic algebra before high school, the material studied needs to meet or exceed the rigor of the content standards for Algebra I, as set forth by the state. Sooo....assuming the child is studying topics in Geometry and Algebra II by the time he/she is in 8th grade (i.e., Singapore's Discovering Mathematics, levels 3 and 4), this material exceeds the rigor of the Algebra I state standards, right?? So, does it really matter if the child studies with a state approved textbook for Algebra I?

Here's the way I've been thinking about it: I've read the requirements of the California DoE, and it seems that, for those kids who study basic algebra before high school, the material studied needs to meet or exceed the rigor of the content standards for Algebra I, as set forth by the state. Sooo....assuming the child is studying topics in Geometry and Algebra II by the time he/she is in 8th grade (i.e., Singapore's Discovering Mathematics, levels 3 and 4), this material exceeds the rigor of the Algebra I state standards, right?? So, does it really matter if the child studies with a state approved textbook for Algebra I?

Unfortunately, the state seems to be a stickler for having students complete approved courses. I don't know why they feel the need to micromanage at the high school level as I'm not aware of any other state that does the same. It's not like the books on the approved list are of such amazingly high quality that a legitimate argument could be made to require them over others :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the state seems to be a stickler for having students complete approved courses. I don't know why they feel the need to micromanage at the high school level as I'm not aware of any other state that does the same. It's not like the books on the approved list are of such amazingly high quality that a legitimate argument could be made to require them over others :rolleyes:

Hmm...so, what do you think happens if the student aces the Algebra I STAR test in 7th/8th without using one of the state approved texts? (I'm not impressed with most state approved texts, either, and try to avoid them, if possible.) And does it really matter if the child is taking 4 years of more advanced maths in hs?

The teacher called me a while ago and explained a bit further since she had to ask. The charter school itself will not allow a child to take Alg 1 before 7th grade even if they are working on that level so basically next year we will be required to take a full year of pre-alg and if we finish before the year is out (does it really take 12 months to do pre alg?) then we need to basically start doing stuff over at Khan Academy or similar to get a jump start but they will not fund Alg or higher period until the child is in specific grade levels. Were going to met later this afternoon to discuss more and have a high school planning meeting. We may need to change charter schools for next year:( It will be in an interesting planning meeting this afternoon.

The teacher called me a while ago and explained a bit further since she had to ask. The charter school itself will not allow a child to take Alg 1 before 7th grade even if they are working on that level so basically next year we will be required to take a full year of pre-alg and if we finish before the year is out (does it really take 12 months to do pre alg?) then we need to basically start doing stuff over at Khan Academy or similar to get a jump start but they will not fund Alg or higher period until the child is in specific grade levels. Were going to met later this afternoon to discuss more and have a high school planning meeting. We may need to change charter schools for next year:( It will be in an interesting planning meeting this afternoon.

That does sound interesting. I would imagine they have this policy because the DoE says the child needs to take algebra sometime between grades 7-12, maybe? Our charter operates a little differently, and will fund for algebra materials prior to 7th grade. However, ours won't award hs credit for algebra taken prior to 8th grade.:confused: I'm still not convinced it really matters, though, if the four years of hs math are more advanced than algebra I.

This is similar to the situation that caused our family to leave our charter school for homeschooling. My daughter was not permitted to begin the next higher level of math until she entered the next grade, and we were only halfway through the school year. I was already supplementing LA, so this was the last straw for us.

This is similar to the situation that caused our family to leave our charter school for homeschooling. My daughter was not permitted to begin the next higher level of math until she entered the next grade, and we were only halfway through the school year. I was already supplementing LA, so this was the last straw for us.

Even taking Pre-alg she will be done with it halfway though the school year. It looks like these are the approved courses once they hit certain levels. http://www.skymountaincs.org/guidance/HScurriculum.html I'm wondering if the high school level gets a lot higher level of funding then the K8 because I know the Keystone school exceeds funding right off the bat, no idea on the rest of those courses.

I do have to say though, I'm looking at hippocampus and man thats a cool website.

This is an interesting topic that I've been thinking about lately as we are in California, as well, with two dds who will be studying algebra 1 topics before high school.

It doesn't matter at all if you file your own affidavit or enroll your dc in a PPS. It only matters if you enroll your dc in a charter school.

you might want to talk to some other charter schools for high school. I found one that does not require you to take all A-G courses, which gives us some room to do more creative classes in some areas. I would ask around at other charter schools and ask if they will accept Algebra done in Jr. High.

grrr.... just talked to the teacher, were at the point we will be running into a lot of "limits" and I will have to pay for a few classes too since we don't get enough funds to cover what they require and thats not going to fly at this point. I will go though everything and see if we can find stuff we like but I don't see us staying with the school beyond this year:(

Just called CAVA since were already using 3 K12 courses independently, and we would not hit the same wall with them.

My family also uses Sky Mountain. When your dd takes algebra for high school credit in 7th, she'll also have to take another HQT class in order to get credit for both. Unfortunately, kids can't take just one high school credit class. I'm currently trying to figure out what ds will take next year. Algebra for sure, but then I haven't decided on what else.

http://skymountaincs.org/guidance/7th_8th_highschool_courses.htm

I like Crimson Wife's suggestion to see if you can get by with chapter tests when the time comes. I'll ask my ES about this, too.

My family also uses Sky Mountain. When your dd takes algebra for high school credit in 7th, she'll also have to take another HQT class in order to get credit for both. Unfortunately, kids can't take just one high school credit class. I'm currently trying to figure out what ds will take next year. Algebra for sure, but then I haven't decided on what else.

http://skymountaincs.org/guidance/7th_8th_highschool_courses.htm

I like Crimson Wife's suggestion to see if you can get by with chapter tests when the time comes. I'll ask my ES about this, too.

The ES didn't say anything about having to take 2 classes, she's only advanced in math, she's on grade level for everything else I think. She said we will have a full high school planning meeting at our next meeting. It doesn't make sense, say we do wait until 7th for Alg 1 + another HS class, we do it again in 8th, were now a almost semester short on 4 years of HS and I planned on her doing 4 years of Lukeion Latin before we even touch 2 years of foregin lang (figured 10-12th for those 2 years) We NEED 4 years for HS lol. I LIKE having those funds but I also have a specific plan I expect her to follow before I consider her done with school, the trick is to fit it into a charter model. Maybe moving to another state thats less a pain? lol We just met yesterday so I won't get answers for another month:(

It's not sounding as though you got accurate information from your rep. 7th/8th graders take Algebra here, and receive no high school credit for the course. Successful completion of an Algebra course is required by the state of California. By the time your child enters high school, he or she should be well into Algebra II. I would go to the CA Dept. of Educ. site and read up about it and then discuss it again with your rep.

We currently use k12 for high school, and don't care for the math at all.

Would you mind sharing what Sky Mountain says is an approved text/course?

It's not sounding as though you got accurate information from your rep. 7th/8th graders take Algebra here, and receive no high school credit for the course. Successful completion of an Algebra course is required by the state of California. By the time your child enters high school, he or she should be well into Algebra II. I would go to the CA Dept. of Educ. site and read up about it and then discuss it again with your rep.

These are the only approved courses for high school http://www.skymountaincs.org/guidance/HScurriculum.html

I have a feeling we will just go with CAVA next year and keep using TT on the side and refuse to allow them to put her into a higher math class when she tests higher on the Scantron (she tested into pre-alg at 7 yr old last time but we felt she needed to work on things like multiplication and long division before we even thought about it) so its all review for her and she can get though it quickly and on to her actual math program. I don't want to stop using something thats worked so well for her. I know it wont be as easy to pull off the same thing with the current charter but we could at least do it until actual high school with CAVA. Who knows, by high school I may be in a much much better position financially and maybe I'll be able to afford to just file a PSA and do what I want but for now were in the poor house and I'm limited on options. lol, me finding a good job just so I can afford to homeschool my kids (I'm a single mom with no support). The things we go though to make sure our kids get a good education...

These are the only approved courses for high school http://www.skymountaincs.org/guidance/HScurriculum.html

I have a feeling we will just go with CAVA next year and keep using TT on the side and refuse to allow them to put her into a higher math class when she tests higher on the Scantron (she tested into pre-alg at 7 yr old last time but we felt she needed to work on things like multiplication and long division before we even thought about it) so its all review for her and she can get though it quickly and on to her actual math program. I don't want to stop using something thats worked so well for her. I know it wont be as easy to pull off the same thing with the current charter but we could at least do it until actual high school with CAVA. Who knows, by high school I may be in a much much better position financially and maybe I'll be able to afford to just file a PSA and do what I want but for now were in the poor house and I'm limited on options. lol, me finding a good job just so I can afford to homeschool my kids (I'm a single mom with no support). The things we go though to make sure our kids get a good education...

Be careful with CAVA if you are interested in UC schools for college. I'm not sure about which ones, but many don't fulfill a-g requirements, from what I've seen on the UC website. If you aren't interested in UC schools, though, it probably doesn't matter.

Be careful with CAVA if you are interested in UC schools for college. I'm not sure about which ones, but many don't fulfill a-g requirements, from what I've seen on the UC website. If you aren't interested in UC schools, though, it probably doesn't matter.

I have no idea which college she might go to, she has no idea what she wants to be when she grows up. I'm guessing its the classes with labs that are the problems? That would be solved by doing duel enrollment at the local CC wouldn't it? It feels weird to be planning for high school, I feel like I should be changing diapers still lol.

The ES didn't say anything about having to take 2 classes, she's only advanced in math, she's on grade level for everything else I think. She said we will have a full high school planning meeting at our next meeting. It doesn't make sense, say we do wait until 7th for Alg 1 + another HS class, we do it again in 8th, were now a almost semester short on 4 years of HS and I planned on her doing 4 years of Lukeion Latin before we even touch 2 years of foregin lang (figured 10-12th for those 2 years) We NEED 4 years for HS lol. I LIKE having those funds but I also have a specific plan I expect her to follow before I consider her done with school, the trick is to fit it into a charter model. Maybe moving to another state thats less a pain? lol We just met yesterday so I won't get answers for another month:(

When I spoke to my ES about this last month, she didn't say anything about two classes either. Then I went to the school's website and came across the page that I linked to my last post. My dh and I have been trying to decide what to do in our ds's case. I understand what you're saying about needing all four of those high school years. I am not interested in rushing through high school either. Ds does have lots of strengths, but I want to ensure he is well-prepared for his college years. I'm thinking that the time we save by working through some subjects early, he'll spend strengthening his weaker areas and developing his interests further. *I think* that Sky Mountain will not force your dc to graduate early, but that's definitely something to bring up at your next meeting. You're right, sometimes parents have to get creative in order to make their plans for their dc "fit into the charter model." The older ds gets, the more I see that.

With Sky Mountain, your student can take algebra, geometry, and algebra II for high school credit, or not, as 7th or 8th graders. Sky Mountain provides transcripts for high school years only. Prior to that, families can choose to use a grading system where the parent determines their child's grades, or their ES will compile a porfolio (with or without STAR test score, parent decides) for each student. My understanding, and I admit I am just learning about this stuff right now, is that if you want your child to receive high school credit for the above mentioned math classes and there are several other classes offered for high school credit (US government, english, foreign language, a few others), that you first have to get approval from the school and then enroll in classes that are classified HQT (taught by Highly Qualified Teacher), for the classes to be included on transcript. But like I said, I'm just learning about this stuff.

As for approved math text/course, there isn't an official math program required by Sky Mountain. Each family has the choice from many publishers/programs. Our family has used Singapore Math, Saxon, EPGY, and Art of Problem-Solving over the years. These and many more are approved by the charter. If you'd like to see a list of all the approved vendors:

http://www.skymountaincs.org/search/search_vendors.php

I think tweaking is part of the process. We have friends who use CAVA and add IEW for writing because they don't like writing component of K12's language arts. We're using K12's Human Odyssey course (Intermediate World History) this year.

With Sky Mountain, your student can take algebra, geometry, and algebra II for high school credit, or not, as 7th or 8th graders. Sky Mountain provides transcripts for high school years only. Prior to that, families can choose to use a grading system where the parent determines their child's grades, or their ES will compile a porfolio (with or without STAR test score, parent decides) for each student. My understanding, and I admit I am just learning about this stuff right now, is that if you want your child to receive high school credit for the above mentioned math classes and there are several other classes offered for high school credit (US government, english, foreign language, a few others), that you first have to get approval from the school and then enroll in classes that are classified HQT (taught by Highly Qualified Teacher), for the classes to be included on transcript. But like I said, I'm just learning about this stuff.

As for approved math text/course, there isn't an official math program required by Sky Mountain. Each family has the choice from many publishers/programs. Our family has used Singapore Math, Saxon, EPGY, and Art of Problem-Solving over the years. These and many more are approved by the charter. If you'd like to see a list of all the approved vendors:

I think tweaking is part of the process. We have friends who use CAVA and add IEW for writing because they don't like writing component of K12's language arts. We're using K12's Human Odyssey course (Intermediate World History) this year.

The ES is telling me it has to come off the HQT stuff for Alg and higher. I have a feeling we will not be back for next year. Being locked into a program does not sit well with me, if it doesn't work we switch to something that does. I just realized we spend about $250 a year just in gas to meet with the ES (100 miles around trip), STAR testing is going to cost another $100 min plus hotel costs. At this point the only thing they are paying for is Brainpop and our TT. Next year the K12 alone would exceed our funds. (I'm paying for the K12 right now) it will suck to give back our lovely Ipad lol. Just going to have to wait for the meeting next month and see before I decide.

If you want credit for Algebra at Sky Mountain you cannot pick from this list of vendors. You have to go here and pick from one of the approved math vendors. Up until high school there is a wide variety of vendors to choose from. Once your child is in high school you do not have as much freedom of choice.

I think it matters if you want your child to go to a UC for college.

Emily

It depends. :-)

Many homeschoolers in California do community college instead of high school; their dc will be able to transfer to UC with no problems.

The OP has two issues to deal with: one is having her dc do algebra at such a young age; the other is dealing with a public school and its requirements.

Several people here have said that when their dc applied to colleges, some colleges specified that all credits on the transcripts had to have been earned during the immediate four years preceeding the college application. IOW, algebra taken before 9th grade could not be included on transcripts given to some colleges.

At any rate, homeschoolers do have some flexibility in things like when their dc will take algebra; public school students have less flexibility (students enrolled in public school programs have to go by public school rules, even if they are taught at home).

Prior to that, families can choose to use a grading system where the parent determines their child's grades,

I don't know how I missed this, I did not get to chose my childs grades, the teacher gave her grades based off the work she has done over the school year. Yes she asked for my input but I had no say in the final grades, I was quite shocked at her report card and made changes to her materials.

The ES is telling me it has to come off the HQT stuff for Alg and higher. I have a feeling we will not be back for next year. Being locked into a program does not sit well with me, if it doesn't work we switch to something that does. I just realized we spend about $250 a year just in gas to meet with the ES (100 miles around trip), STAR testing is going to cost another $100 min plus hotel costs. At this point the only thing they are paying for is Brainpop and our TT. Next year the K12 alone would exceed our funds. (I'm paying for the K12 right now) it will suck to give back our lovely Ipad lol. Just going to have to wait for the meeting next month and see before I decide.

Aww, man. That is a lot of trouble and expense to go through to be part of this charter. I can totally understand your frustrations. Honestly, at the beginning of this school year I was pretty sure we wouldn't be coming back next year--and I'm fortunate enough to live 15 minutes away from our monthly meeting spot! Is math the only component of K12 that you don't like for your dd?

If you want credit for Algebra at Sky Mountain you cannot pick from this list of vendors. You have to go here and pick from one of the approved math vendors. Up until high school there is a wide variety of vendors to choose from. Once your child is in high school you do not have as much freedom of choice.

True. The link I included contains all the vendors, and although the ones that offer HQT classes are on that list, they are a select few. The link you provided is the more efficient one.

We are in Skymountain and use TT. My son who will be in 8th grade will be taking Alg I next year for high school credit. TT is not listed as HQT yet on Skymountain's website, but it has recently been approved as HQT. However, it will need to be supplemented because it is missing some CA standards. From what my ES has told me, we can take ALEX to substitute for the missing standards. I don't know which standards those are yet. But that is what I have been told. I plan for my son to take Alg I and Spanish for credit next year. A student has to take two high school level classes at a time in order to be counted for credit in 7th or 8th grade. Keep in mind that HQT is not a-g. I have not read all of the other posts so this may have already been mentioned.

We are in Skymountain and use TT. My son who will be in 8th grade will be taking Alg I next year for high school credit. TT is not listed as HQT yet on Skymountain's website, but it has recently been approved as HQT. However, it will need to be supplemented because it is missing some CA standards. From what my ES has told me, we can take ALEX to substitute for the missing standards. I don't know which standards those are yet. But that is what I have been told. I plan for my son to take Alg I and Spanish for credit next year. A student has to take two high school level classes at a time in order to be counted for credit in 7th or 8th grade. Keep in mind that HQT is not a-g. I have not read all of the other posts so this may have already been mentioned.

I can handle supplementing TT and your the 1st to bring up this point. I was told TT was not an option as it wasn't on the list but knowing its being added gives me hope. I'm wondering what else they are adding. Now I only have the problem of having a kid a year to young, who knows, she may find pre-alg a huge headache and we need the full year (I really doubt it) but its the being told "No" thats really making me mad. I homeschool so I have the flexibility to work at my childs pace and I feel like I can't do that with these rules, I'm also worried about her ability to handle a high school level course in something other then math.

Aww, man. That is a lot of trouble and expense to go through to be part of this charter. I can totally understand your frustrations. Honestly, at the beginning of this school year I was pretty sure we wouldn't be coming back next year--and I'm fortunate enough to live 15 minutes away from our monthly meeting spot! Is math the only component of K12 that you don't like for your dd?

I don't like their Art or PowerSpeak either which are required if you enroll in CAVA if thats what your thinking. Just got off the phone with admin since what enrollment was telling me didn't jive with what I hear from other families. Were doing HO for 5-6th then American History for 7-8th and admin said that won't fly even if she's in the middle of HO when she enrolls. Grade level stuff only. I also looked at the math and its a LOT of problems, very much drill and kill it looks from our POV so it would be a major pain to get my dd to just do the math min while still using TT as our main program. They won't allow us to replace Lukion Latin for PowerSpeak either. The only K12 classes I plan to keep until at least HS is LA, Science and History.

When I looked at the big picture of yes, its about $350 to use the program due to gas costs but I'm saving $1,200 per year with the funds for materials when I enrolled.

All the CA charter schools are so different, maybe you can find one that is more flexible. My gf had her ds take algebra in 8th grade, and was able to get the charter school to give him high school credit. I think it all depends on the charter school.

Oh and what a pitb to have to drive so far to meet with your ES! Mine comes to my house, it's awesome!

All the CA charter schools are so different, maybe you can find one that is more flexible. My gf had her ds take algebra in 8th grade, and was able to get the charter school to give him high school credit. I think it all depends on the charter school.

Oh and what a pitb to have to drive so far to meet with your ES! Mine comes to my house, it's awesome!

I wish! Our other options are CAVA (K12 VA), Connections Academy and the other 2 charters provide you with materials the regular B&M schools use. This charter is the only parent choice charter around. Were looking at moving out of state this summer, hoping to find something that will work for us if we do move. All else failing I will file a PSA but thats a last resort for me between the funding issue and it keeps me from being the *bad guy* assigning school work since dd knows we have to show her teacher work. It takes a lot of stress off me not having to fight her on doing work since she thinks its the teacher assigning it and not me. (*gasp* yes, I deceive my own child or else she refuses to do work when its *just for me* but she happily does it for the teacher we see each month.)