Menu

Hello! Have a question for my ADHD/Dyslexia son...

I see some familiar names, hello! My youngest, ds7 has been diagnosed with dyslexia, ADHD and speech disorder. I am not homeschooling but he need additional help.

I'm looking to pick the hive's mind for a orton gillingham based phonics program that I can do at home with him - hopefully with games included and not completely electronic. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg- an arm is okay but I'd like to keep the leg... :tongue_smilie:

Do the electronic phonic programs work? I'm skeptic.

Anywho- he is in first grade but reading at a level 3, he should be at level G (Scholastic leveling) or GRA level 12, Lexile 200-400L.

Help!

Jessica

The non-electronic techniques in the book Reading Rescue 1-2-3 helped me with my son. But it was still slow going, he is just not getting into the swing of things in 5th grade. I'm not familiar with the program you mentioned so can't offer insight into any similarities between it and the above book. :confused:

Cheapest OG option, Recipe for Reading manual, $27. It is all you need, you can teach from a white board. You can get their workbooks as well if time is shorter than money, but I think the white board is better for struggling students anyway.

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?seriesonly=491M

The only online things that I like are read, write, type and my online phonics lessons.

I will add more later, that should be a good start for you.

I could be wrong but I think the SWR-type programs are Orton Gillingham based. We used Phonics Road to Writing and Reading. It is excellent.

Good luck

Heather

WRTR, SWR, and similar programs are paced for neurotypical kids. If TA's son appears dyslexic because his school doesn't teach phonics, SWR or something similar may be a good choice. If he is truly dyslexic, those programs will make him feel as though he's drowning.

TA, if you are working full time and need something that easy to implement with lots of support from the author, Barton is your ticket. If you need something cheap and can invest some time to plan lessons, Recipe for Reading is cheap. Wilson is in between the two; it's a well-regarded OG program, but the company provides less support than Barton.

My DS11 has ADHD, severe dyslexia, and was labeled "speech impaired" by his public school. I pulled him out of school last November because they weren't teaching him how to read, despite having had an IEP for six years. I don't think his teachers knew how to teach him how to read.

I have my DS doing Dancing Bears and I'm also taking a lot of advice from Reading Rescue 1-2-3. This time last year he was reading a beginning first grade level, and today he's reading a beginning third grade level. :)

Before using these two programs we tried Phonics Pathways because it has such great ratings. My son didn't get very far before the book became too hard for him.

The best thing I ever found for my Dyslexic/ADD ds was All About Spelling. He actually loved doing it! I'm not sure if it's orton gillingham or not but is multi-sensory which kept his attention for longer and I saw lots of progress while we used it. It was the first program that we did that actually made him feel good about his progress! We only stopped because he started going to a school.

Nice to see you again!

From what I remember about your determination to learn things, I think you could do well with buying the book The Writing Road to Reading and using that. All you need after that is something to make flashcards with (for the phonograms), a composition notebook, and pencils. Oh, and you might want the phonogram pronunciation CD that goes with the book. But pronunciations are explained on the back of the phonogram flashcards (which you can buy if you don't want to make), too.

I recommend just using the reading, handwriting, and spelling portions of the book; and leaving grammar and composition study to another "program."

hth

What online programs/sites are you using? We've used StarFall for years.

Oh, I like Starfall, too.

But, the only other online things that don't have too many sight words are Read Write Type and my online phonics lessons linked in my signature. I used Read, Write, Type with both my children.

My other thoughts were about diagnostic and specialized things to try and do, I'll post them on your special needs post side, they are more related to those type of things that the ladies there can chime in with, too.

I would recommend All About Spelling for what your son needs. I have an ADHD son with dyslexic tendencies (I haven't had him officially tested), and it has helped him immensely. It's gentle, hands-on, and my son loves when it's time for spelling. I cannot say enough good things about this program.

The best thing I ever found for my Dyslexic/ADD ds was All About Spelling. He actually loved doing it! I'm not sure if it's orton gillingham or not but is multi-sensory which kept his attention for longer and I saw lots of progress while we used it. It was the first program that we did that actually made him feel good about his progress! We only stopped because he started going to a school.

Yes, both All About Spelling and All About Reading are Orton-Gillingham based. AAS helped my kids tons (wish AAR had existed when mine were learning to read!)

Merry :-)

WRTR, SWR, and similar programs are paced for neurotypical kids. If TA's son appears dyslexic because his school doesn't teach phonics, SWR or something similar may be a good choice. If he is truly dyslexic, those programs will make him feel as though he's drowning.

TA, if you are working full time and need something that easy to implement with lots of support from the author, Barton is your ticket. If you need something cheap and can invest some time to plan lessons, Recipe for Reading is cheap. Wilson is in between the two; it's a well-regarded OG program, but the company provides less support than Barton.

:iagree: If he is truly dyslexic I would go with a program geared specifically for dyslexia. I love Barton's but there are others that are less pricely and work just as well.